• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hello all!

Heisenberg1961

Hi there. I am a parent of an 18 year old with Autism. He also has a learning disability as well as some mental health issues including bipolar disorder. He is always angry at everything and in the last 6 months has gone into uncontrollable rages where he punches and kicks holes in our walls. Him and my wife and I are suffering greatly and we are in a family crisis. Please help!!!!!!

1670357248849.png

Hi and welcome, I'm sorry to hear you are up against this. It sounds like your son is quite frustrated about things. Does he have any support or help apart from yourselves? Are there things he enjoys that calm him? And do you and your wife have any support? This sounds hard for you both to manage.

Welcome. I concur with @Thinx in hoping that you have some supports or are about to obtain supports that work for all of you, and to help better understand each other. Some individuals have rather unique ways of communicating things, and being able to interpret them and provide comfort and support that they need can be beneficial for everyone.

I use a free standing punching bag and try to exercise everyday...that tends to keep me and my son (who is 14 and has ASD and ADHD) from putting holes in walls and doors. Pictures that can interpret what mood he's in helps...my wife tries her best with speaking slowly and calmly. I'm fire and my wife is water...she's awesome. :)

I have fidget toys, noise cancelling headphones and alone time when needed.

What makes your son happy? Find out his triggers and maybe reword what you ask of him? Different approaches maybe? :)

HI and Welcome @Heisenberg1961

It just struck me that 1961 reads the same when turned upside down - sorry its just the autie in me.
I hope you find some clues as to how to help yourselves and you son through your interaction here.

Hello and welcome.

This sounds like a pretty complex problem that may take some investigating through some of our threads in the parenting section, and possibly posting some more specific questions as you get to know us here.

Just keep in mind as much as you can that all of these outward expressions likely indicate turmoil going on inside your sons mind.

I am much older than him, but I still struggle to manage what is happening in my mind and sometimes it comes out in unexpected physical manifestations. We must learn how to manage our feelings in more conducive ways as @Storm Hess mentioned.

Your son may be toward the beginning of this journey, especially as an adolescent where it makes sense to be having intense feelings that are already difficult to manage.

New Threads

Top Bottom