• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hello All

TankYouVeryMuch

I'm a current junior at The Ohio State University. At seven I was diagnosed Asperger's syndrome.

I've never been a part of an online support group like this, but I feel like I too often dump my problems off onto my friends and family. I've seen psychiatrists/psychologists in the past with minimal success to assist some of my social anxiety issues. I tend to be quite extroverted, in truth, when I am with/in front of a large group of people. As a result I do have what I feel is a good circle of friends.

Where I struggle is one-on-one interactions. It becomes increasingly frustrating, because I have a tendency to critique every little thing I say in conversation. There's this combination of low self-esteem and an inability to read people that comes with my condition, and I have trouble escaping my own head when meeting someone new as a result. Basically, I tend to think people have the lowest opinion of me possible. This is especially frustrating while attempting to find a romantic partner. I often dwell on failed interactions too.

That's the basis of why I'm joining, I guess. Not an easy decision for me... again, I hate dumping my problems on other people.

I fell like my life is great otherwise. I'm blessed with two loving parents and two great younger siblings, the aforementioned great circle of friends and the memory that comes along with the social issues allows me to excel academically. I'm journalism major with a lifelong-dream job (unpaid internship) covering the Ohio State football team. My physical health is great, I run about 10 miles a week and weightlift four-five days. Which is why I'm sick of hating myself. There's plenty of people on the spectrum dealing with way more, putting my issues in the same area as theirs almost seems petty. But here I am.

On a happier note, I love talking sports (football in particular, which I played in high school) and music. Playing sports is my favorite pastime... if there's competition to be had, I want in. I love the outdoors too, a proud Eagle Scout.

Thank you all for your time and support.

TL;DR version: Hello everyone, I'm a college student dealing with Asperger's syndrome. Call me Tank if you like.

Welcome, @TankYouVeryMuch! :)
Which kind(s) of music do you like?
Do you only listen to music or do you play an instrument (or make music in any other way) as well?
I'm a huge classic rock guy, but also enjoy rap when it has good, meaningful lyrics (Kendrick Lamar, Tupac Shakur). Part of the writer in me, I guess.
I've tried picking up instruments in the past, never could get one down. I slay in Guitar Hero though lol.
I love singing but I sound terrible. Was in Choir all four years of high school and musical theatre throughout my life until college.
What about you?

upload_2019-1-13_17-13-33.png

Welcome Tank. You are reminiscent to me of an Autistic boy I used to babysit in NJ.

I am glad you found the forum and hope that you will embrace yourself as friend.

I encourage you to try not to compare your problems to others.

It's not a contest, other people's apparently worse issues don't diminish yours, your issues aren't insulting to others, and there really is no way to gauge the severity of anyone's difficulties because of the countless factors involved, such as temperament, emotional stability, fortitude, chemical and physical differences, general sensitivity, known and unknown varying degrees of illnesses, and on and on, far beyond what little I know.

And don't worry about talking about your problems, that seems to be one of the main things going on around here! Many people will be happy to help in whatever way they can! Remember, the helper gets satisfaction, as well, no act is entirely selfless.

You'd be doing us a favor by dumping. ;)

That sounded weird! :confused:

...Welcome! :)

:mad: (I'm not mad, I just think the face is really cute.) :mad:

:mad::cool::mad:

I'm a current junior at The Ohio State University. At seven I was diagnosed Asperger's syndrome.

I've never been a part of an online support group like this, but I feel like I too often dump my problems off onto my friends and family. I've seen psychiatrists/psychologists in the past with minimal success to assist some of my social anxiety issues. I tend to be quite extroverted, in truth, when I am with/in front of a large group of people. As a result I do have what I feel is a good circle of friends.

Where I struggle is one-on-one interactions. It becomes increasingly frustrating, because I have a tendency to critique every little thing I say in conversation. There's this combination of low self-esteem and an inability to read people that comes with my condition, and I have trouble escaping my own head when meeting someone new as a result. Basically, I tend to think people have the lowest opinion of me possible. This is especially frustrating while attempting to find a romantic partner. I often dwell on failed interactions too.

That's the basis of why I'm joining, I guess. Not an easy decision for me... again, I hate dumping my problems on other people.

I fell like my life is great otherwise. I'm blessed with two loving parents and two great younger siblings, the aforementioned great circle of friends and the memory that comes along with the social issues allows me to excel academically. I'm journalism major with a lifelong-dream job (unpaid internship) covering the Ohio State football team. My physical health is great, I run about 10 miles a week and weightlift four-five days. Which is why I'm sick of hating myself. There's plenty of people on the spectrum dealing with way more, putting my issues in the same area as theirs almost seems petty. But here I am.

On a happier note, I love talking sports (football in particular, which I played in high school) and music. Playing sports is my favorite pastime... if there's competition to be had, I want in. I love the outdoors too, a proud Eagle Scout.

Thank you all for your time and support.

TL;DR version: Hello everyone, I'm a college student dealing with Asperger's syndrome. Call me Tank if you like.
welcome Tank :)

Welcome to the forums Tank.
Feel free to dump. You probably have a Tank-full. :D
It's a good place to share with others.

I'm a huge classic rock guy, but also enjoy rap when it has good, meaningful lyrics (Kendrick Lamar, Tupac Shakur). Part of the writer in me, I guess.
I've tried picking up instruments in the past, never could get one down. I slay in Guitar Hero though lol.
I love singing but I sound terrible. Was in Choir all four years of high school and musical theatre throughout my life until college.
What about you?
I like various kinds of music.
The lyrics aren't very important to me; I often don't even pay much attention to the lyrics at all. I like instrumental music as well, which doesn't include lyrics in the first place.
I sing in a choir.

New Threads

Top Bottom