• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Health woes

Hope88

Hello, my name is Emma, I'm 26 and I was diagnosed with High Functioning Aspergers Syndrome in July of last year.
After not getting any help, I decided to try asking about my predicament on here to see if anyone could be of help.
I recently got a letter inviting me to go for a smear/pap test, however I have a few problems with this.
Firstly I hate anyone getting into my personal space in general and secondly I feel I do not warrant a test. I have only had 3 sexual partners and on all occasions protection was strictly used (condoms) and there were never any encounters without. I don't smoke or drink and have not had any children so do I still have to go? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Oh yikes, the gyno! We just know they keep the speculums in the freezer. :eek: The pap is to detect cervical cancer, or changes which can lead to that. You can decide if you wish to get the pap test performed or not. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Oh heck, how I empathise with you! YUCK and DISGUST to the extreme! But sadly, horribly necessary, but blessed because my husband is there and holds my hand. Having been sexually abused by father, it is torture and I have to refocus, otherwise, I would go into a meltdown.

What surprises me is that you are only 26. You are obviously not from England, because there they refuse to test until much later, and sorry to say this, but girls much younger and not sexually active, had died of cancer! So it is not solely due to our sexual habits.

What I say to myself is: would I rather suffer cancer or suffer being excruciatingly embarrassed for about 5 mins?

Sadly, one cannot assume that because they lead a healthy life, that their body is going to be healthy.

As bizarre as this is, I actually prefer male gynos to females, because they are more gentle; Well most are, accept for our former male dr who hurt me and laughed!!!!

Thank you for the replies, I suppose I'll have to go through with it.
Sadly I am from England, at the moment they send you a letter just before you turn 25 but I have been putting it off after they sent me an information dvd. It put me right off and so I decided not to go. I moved recently and got another letter inviting me to go again and wondered if maybe I should actually just go this time. I wish I didn't have to but you make good points. :) thank you again.

New Threads

Top Bottom