• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

head covering questions

could you bear to use fabric glue? that's what I use !but I repair things with it!
MS Picky Pants, here. Too scratchy. But I will perhaps get brave and try sewing because I really can't see affording too many $20 head coverings. And I have some wonderfully soft fabrics in my little "hoard". I am being honest here, it's not a "stash", those are for people who don't hate their sewing machine. I am just hoarding fabric because I thought it was pretty and it was most likely free or super cheap so I couldn't resist.

A Guide To Head Covering Styles
Some examples.

@Mary Anne
Chapel cap?

That's what we called those small
lacey things that we put on our heads
when we didn't wear a full fledged hat
to church, when I was little.

One Sunday I was pleased with myself,
my mother having given me a black
chapel cap to use that day. Pleased until
my uncle said, "What happened?
Your goldfish die?"

Yes!!!! I thought they were extinct!

I didn't like what I have found at local stores. Everything is too long or silky or something. I am such :rolleyes:a MS Picky Pants.

No you are not. The scarves in stores are cheap horrible polyester, nylon or some other weird synthetic. Try silk, rayon (which is made from trees), or even inexpensive cotton shirting or cotton knit.

MS Picky Pants, here. Too scratchy. But I will perhaps get brave and try sewing because I really can't see affording too many $20 head coverings. And I have some wonderfully soft fabrics in my little "hoard". I am being honest here, it's not a "stash", those are for people who don't hate their sewing machine. I am just hoarding fabric because I thought it was pretty and it was most likely free or super cheap so I couldn't resist.
just been looking at etsy.com I could get lost in that website

I hate my sewing machine.

Is there a reason why you hate it? I have a love and hate relationship with sewing machines. Usually what happens is that it's not the right kind of thread, or the needle is the wrong size, or the fabric requires a specific needle and thread. Which I usually don't have, and these days all the stores that used to sell 'notions' and fabric have closed.

Last edited:
Is there a reason why you hate it? I have a love and hate relationship with many sewing machines and I have three, two bought at thrift stores, and one my gram left me. Usually what happens is that it's not the right kind of thread, or the needle is the wrong size, or the fabric requires a specific needle and thread. Which I usually don't have, and these days all the stores that used to sell 'notions' and fabric have closed.
The thread seems to want to get ate up all the time. I fix it, sew awhile and just when I think I'm almost done it starts in again. I hate bobbins and tension and everything. I also hate the noise and prefer my treadle but it's not even put together right now.

I hate bobbins and tension and everything.
A lot of the time, there are so many factors involved. The fabric, sharpness of the needle, the type of thread, how the bobbin is wound. And it differs from machine to machine. Found this from Singer, below. Hope it helps.

This is from Singer:
1. You can have a perfectly straight stitch on the top, but a "bird's nest" forming on the bottom. So why the inconsistency? People tend to think that the bobbin is to blame; in fact, this couldn't be farther from the truth. The thread is snarling -- usually, under the fabric -- because there is no tension on the upper thread. Seems counterintuitive, right?

Still, here's what to do: First, raise the presser foot lifter and rethread the machine. This opens up the tension mechanism to receive the thread. Second, you will need to raise the take-up lever and needle to the highest position according to your machine's manual. This should help to confirm you have the right tension.

2. Another possibility is how you handle the fabric whilst sewing. If you have the tendency -- and many of us do -- of pulling the fabric from behind to make it go through the machine, the practice can result in unclean stitching and can even break your machine. This kind of force-feeding of the fabric works against the feed dogs (the metal teethlike ridges that grip the bottom of the fabric, coaxing it to move away from the needle as stitches are sewn). Work with the machine -- don't force it.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom