• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

head covering questions

kay

As a fan of head covering, but not being religious, I am curious about the different attitudes toward the accessories. Why do some religious people cover their heads; why do others not? How do those of you who do cover feel about us non-religious wearing similar head coverings? I have found an online shop called Garlands of Grace whose head coverings I like a lot but am unsure if it might be horribly offensive to wear them. Right now I am not buying, they are not cheap, but at some point I might deserve a treat. Personally I can't see anything unique to religion in them but having no experience with religious head covering I don't know if I might be missing something. Any thoughts? Right now I stick to regular bandanas and my favorite stocking cap. For me I get a lot of comfort in having something on my head. It feels good and saves me some hair struggles. Also camping in a dusty place with a lot of wind it's great to keep hair just a bit cleaner.

it's usually for modesty,I did it to stop myself overheating.
Is it modesty in the sense of nakedness or modesty in the sense of some sorta attitude? There is a verse in the Christian scriptures about not offending angels with a bare head though I never was sure why that might offend an angel. Guess I could take the time to research but my biggest question is there any head covering I might wear that might make someone mad because it is so unique to a particular religious group. I think those little prayer caps would be, but they don't really cover in a practical sense.

I hadn't thought about overheating, get a head scarf wet though and it's great for when the air conditioner goes out in the car mid July.

I used to wear head covering as religious attire, but I stopped when I couldn't get a job and my family was being evicted. If I see someone wearing the clothing usually worn by a specific religious community I would assume they are part of that community, but if they aren't, I wouldn't find it offensive.

I loved wearing a scarf. I felt pretty and feminine without being alluring or having to spend time styling my hair. I also felt somewhat "protected", though that feeling is totally illogical, except with regard to wind, bugs, and dirt, when my work took me out into the field.

Is it modesty in the sense of nakedness or modesty in the sense of some sorta attitude? There is a verse in the Christian scriptures about not offending angels with a bare head though I never was sure why that might offend an angel. Guess I could take the time to research but my biggest question is there any head covering I might wear that might make someone mad because it is so unique to a particular religious group. I think those little prayer caps would be, but they don't really cover in a practical sense.

I hadn't thought about overheating, get a head scarf wet though and it's great for when the air conditioner goes out in the car mid July.
in Judaism it is done after marriage! because the hair is considered to be only seen by the husband !of a specific quote Is "it is her crowning glory".
if you are orthodox you may shave your head and then wear a wig if you are ultra orthodox you cover your head with fabric or a knitted garment .
in catholicism nuns cover their head I presume to reduce vanity ?and maybe because of the Jewish influence because they are married to Christ?!

In the Middle Ages, Thomas Aquinas (1225–1274) said that "the man existing under God should not have a covering over his to show he is immediately subject to God; but the woman should wear a covering to show that besides God she is naturally subject to another."

In Continental Europe and North America at the start of the 20th century, women in most mainstream Christian denominations wore head coverings during church services. These included many Anglican, Baptist, Methodist, Presbyterian and Roman Catholic Churches. At worship, in parts of the Western World, many women started to wear bonnets in lieu of headcoverings, and later, hats became predominant. However, eventually, in North America, this practice started to decline, with some exceptions including Christians who wear plain dress, such as Conservative Quakers, Mennonites and Amish, as well as Traditionalist Catholics.

I come from a traditionalist catholic background and wore a head covering or veil to catholic services, as did all the females in the family. In the 1970's most women stopped wearing them, with the exception of some of the older female church members.

Last edited:
In the Middle Ages, Thomas Aquinas (1225–1274) said that "the man existing under God should not have a covering over his to show he is immediately subject to God; but the woman should wear a covering to show that besides God she is naturally subject to another."

In Continental Europe and North America at the start of the 20th century, women in most mainstream Christian denominations wore head coverings during church services. These included many Anglican, Baptist, Methodist, Presbyterian and Roman Catholic Churches. At worship, in parts of the Western World, many women started to wear bonnets in lieu of headcoverings, and later, hats became predominant. However, eventually, in North America, this practice started to decline, with some exceptions including Christians who wear plain dress, such as Conservative Quakers, Mennonites and Amish, as well as Traditionalist Catholics.

I come from a traditionalist catholic background and wore a head covering or veil to catholic services, as did all the females in my family. In the 1970's most women stopped wearing them, with the exception of some of the older female church members.

Interesting that Thomas Aquinas thought men shouldn't while in some religious groups men are suppose to cover their head. Hmmm.. so many different thoughts.

I have read a few threads on the topic of Plain dress with regards to Quakers and they have all sorts of thoughts on the subject. Unfortunately all the conversations were a bit old and pointless to try to revive.

The Episcopal church covered at one time because there was a spot still labeled prayer caps just inside the front door. I never bothered to ask why, guess I should have.

I used to wear head covering as religious attire, but I stopped when I couldn't get a job and my family was being evicted. If I see someone wearing the clothing usually worn by a specific religious community I would assume they are part of that community, but if they aren't, I wouldn't find it offensive.

I loved wearing a scarf. I felt pretty and feminine without being alluring or having to spend time styling my hair. I also felt somewhat "protected", though that feeling is totally illogical, except with regard to wind, bugs, and dirt, when my work took me out into the field.

I first started thinking about potentially offending someone while reading about Quakers trying to adopt Plain dress. It was a concern quite a number of people had. All I want is to wear a nice, comfy head covering. My clothing otherwise isn't religious Plain. I am going plain in the sense of simple and practical, but not Amish looking. Mostly pants and plaid shirts.

Why did a head covering prevent you from working? That doesn't seem fair. Most head coverings I see look neat and tidy. A plus I would think a potential employer woulds appreciate. But I have a weird point of view about most everything I guess.

Anyhoo, thanks for giving me at least some idea that I don't need to worry too much about upsetting anyone.

in Judaism it is done after marriage! because the hair is considered to be only seen by the husband !of a specific quote Is "it is her crowning glory".
if you are orthodox you may shave your head and then wear a wig if you are ultra orthodox you cover your head with fabric or a knitted garment .
in catholicism nuns cover their head I presume to reduce vanity ?and maybe because of the Jewish influence because they are married to Christ?!

Hmmm. Didn't know that's why Jewish women sometimes cover their head. Just their husbands? That is a complicated undertaking. Glad I don't have reason to worry about such things. Anyhoo, I won't be wearing a wig.

I will often wear my cowboy hat whenever I leave the house unless my girlfriend takes me somewhere fancy. Fortunately for me, that doesn't happen very often. My hat happens to be brown and it sports a braided horsehair band.

What kind of headwear do you have in mind?

Last edited:
@Rayner, brown hats are the best. Ok, here is sorta what I want, though with more green or brown. Or maybe a nice smallish plaid. Or if they ever offered little owls. Or I could get myself to sew and make my own. Then definitely owls. Also I would be wearing it closer to the forehead and I wear my hair in a shoulder length bob. So the look on me would be different. To me it looks not particularly religious except in combination with very long hair and a long skirt. Is this very specific to any church? If it was white I would think Mennonite. Perhaps I worry too much about offending but I can't find anything like this outside of websites selling religious head coverings. Headbands, I find headbands. But I want a scarf sorta thing. Makes me think more of work, like farming than religion.
Garlands-of-Grace-Liberty-of-London-Long-headcovering-2692.jpg

It doesn't seem overly religious to me either. I'm not sure, where you could find one like you would like.

Do you know how to sew? I bet if you could make one yourself, that would probably be your best option.

Ok, here is sorta what I want, though with more green or brown. Or maybe a nice smallish plaid. Or if they ever offered little owls. Or I could get myself to sew and make my own. Then definitely owls. Also I would be wearing it closer to the forehead and I wear my hair in a shoulder length bob. So the look on me would be different. To me it looks not particularly religious except in combination with very long hair and a long skirt. Is this very specific to any church? If it was white I would think Mennonite. Perhaps I worry too much about offending but I can't find anything like this outside of websites selling religious head coverings. Headbands, I find headbands. But I want a scarf sorta thing. Makes me think more of work, like farming than religion.
Garlands-of-Grace-Liberty-of-London-Long-headcovering-2692.jpg

Why did a head covering prevent you from working? That doesn't seem fair. Most head coverings I see look neat and tidy.
Because it looks different from other people and even the ones who are ok with different worry about what their clients will think. It identifies me with a currently unpopular religious group. Yes it's unfair and possibly illegal, but that's how it went.

Because it looks different from other people and even the ones who are ok with different worry about what their clients will think. It identifies me with a currently unpopular religious group. Yes it's unfair and possibly illegal, but that's how it went.

Yes, you are correct. With the current state of things in some places, it can actually be unsafe, and people stereotype, and can cause issues. Some people just wish to remain safe and drama free.

Some places also forbid the head covering of Rastafarians which is yet another spiritual way. rastas have those long thick dread locks.

Last edited:

I come from a traditionalist catholic background and wore a head covering or veil to catholic services, as did all the females in my family. In the 1970's most women stopped wearing them, with the exception of some of the older female church members.

Gosh, I was raised Catholic too. I remember the hats and later those Lacey things we wore on our heads to church. What were those flat square lace things called?

On a different note, I shaved my head during the 90s and early 20th Century. People used to ask me when I got cancer and what kind! There is so much to hair- having it, not having it, covering it, the styling of it, and of course, it’s most apparent importance is within religion of all kinds.

This will be fine and not offend anyone of any religion. If you are in the US, Target has a pretty good selection of scarves of various sizes and shapes.
I didn't like what I have found at local stores. Everything is too long or silky or something. I am such :rolleyes:a MS Picky Pants.

I didn't like what I have found at local stores. Everything is too long or silky or something. I am such :rolleyes:a MS Picky Pants.
it will be better to make it yourself being autistic we like detail making it yourself will fulfil the autism in you

A Guide To Head Covering Styles
Some examples.

@Mary Anne
Chapel cap?

That's what we called those small
lacey things that we put on our heads
when we didn't wear a full fledged hat
to church, when I was little.

One Sunday I was pleased with myself,
my mother having given me a black
chapel cap to use that day. Pleased until
my uncle said, "What happened?