• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Having to Look at Everything in the Room

Fino

Alex
V.I.P Member
I was wondering if anyone else could relate at all. I feel like it's a bit hard to explain, but I'll try.

When I go into an unfamiliar room or car, I don't feel comfortable until I look around at most or all of the things in the room. For example, if I'm being driven by someone and I've never been in the car, I'd like to see what's on the floor and the back or in the glove compartment. I recently visited someone's dorm room, and I wanted to know what was on the desks, floors, in the refrigerator.. It can be bad sometimes, like when I had an interview a couple weeks ago and the room had a ton of objects, like figurines and such, and I kept looking around and staring at things, and I probably looked insane.

If any of you have ever played one of those video games where there's a minimap on the screen and the unexplored areas are in darkness and become illuminated as you walk into them.. that's how it feels! It's like I'm surrounded by unknown until I slowly illuminate my surroundings.

This week we went on the Silver Sneakers historical house tour. I caught myself doing that. There was so much interesting stuff. We wanted to open the drawers and feel the fabrics, but l didn't want to upset anybody by breaking the no touch rule. Luckily, my husband was there so we had each other to occupy our hands. The old biddies were amused and seemed to have found our canoodling socially acceptable .

Sometimes... But I resist opening drawers

Mine is more of an outdoor thing and my photography, I tend to see a wide scene very well, will analyze all corners of what I might photograph, even taking a close look at what is in the background of my main subject...

I suppose it's a skill many photographers develop, but I suspect mine might be a little elevated...

I like checking out any new environment but don’t open drawers, but I want too! I think it’s one of the reasons shopping is so tiring because there is so much to look at. And of course I remember where everything is....

I am the opposite. I live in a very narrow field. If I walk into a room, I take my special interest with me. I f I go to a movie, the same. If I am at a light or at the store or sitting on the curb or eating lunch, my special interest is with me. If someone is talking to me, I am full in, though. And if I am with a friend, etc....if a friend invites me to see their things, etc......but I keep my vision narrow, but metaphorically and physically. It means that my life is now stable. Every day is the same, thank god.

Yes, I look at all things round me and might want to examine closer something that interests me, but I don't open drawers or glove compartments because that's private.

I look, but don't touch. I always study every room I am in and am very aware if something's been changed since my last visit. I could name the books in my boss' bookcase from memory, even though I don't need to know any of that.

New Threads

Top Bottom