• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Having children alone?

I don't think going at it alone is the best idea. As others here have already pointed out, financial costs and possible lack of family or friend support could be very straining on a single parent. I see too many single moms as it is, and VERY RARELY do they appear to enjoy the predicament they're in.

Single parenting certainly seems to be hard. Still, I've had exactly same thoughts, assuming I'd someday wish for kids enough. Comments on finance and overall happiness of single parent seems to differ inhere, I've heard lots of good too, and by no doubt depends on mother's attitude. Of course it is easier if one has own parents, siblings or friends to help. Which is something I'd not have, and it weights in my decision making a great deal.

It might not be the best idea to hump just any guy that might have many illnesses going in his family. Whereas people in relationships usually don't consider their genetic material that much, I believe it's much because they get family out of love for each other and they really do have each other's support, but in my opinion person aiming to be a single parent should pay more attention on who's the dad, so that there'd not be unnecessary health problems for parent to take care alone, with less money. I think that contraception has gotten a lot more popular, at least in here, as men do realize that they don't want to end up paying for unwanted children. Then again fertility clinics that do some screening on donor material aren't all too expensive if there's only need for short treatment. But some don't wish to support them and it might be more about not wanting to support health care professionals who do great piles of money on benefit of people's dreams, than the cost itself. At least it is legally safe for every party involved, baby included.

What Peace commented about getting kids with a good friend could also be a good idea. Personally I don't believe that anything should be faked because kid "should have a normal family". Even divorces are encouraged these days, and kids won't get damaged about that if parents their selves won't start arguing over every detail. Kid will learn how ever parent/parents choose to do as long as they have safe conditions - a supporting family, a roof and food.

If my biological clock was ticking like the "countdown" clock and I still couldn't find a partner. Say mid thirties, I would consider getting a donor, since reproducing is an ambition of mine and I'd be devastated if I could never achieve it. Any older than mid thirties and I'd foster or adopt because of the risk of genetic diseases from older parents.

If the financial and living conditions were right and you have a good family and friend support network, then I don't see how having children alone shouldn't work. Plenty of people have done it.

I also think having children with a best friend would be a nice idea, better than getting pregnant accidentally with someone you only like sexually but have no real connection with. (Though I don't measure a child's value based on how they got there of course, I just refer to ease of upbringing.)

New Threads

Top Bottom