• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Have you ever heard of the myth that Autistic People are "demon possessed?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greatshield17

Claritas Prayer Group#9435
E280958B-45A6-4BF0-81DF-98F35C430EBD_1_201_a.jpeg

I'm not talking about the ancients believing that an epileptic was possessed by a god, demon or other spirit; I'm talking about the claim that apparently some modern Christians believe that we Autistic people are actually just possessed by demons. I have only heard of one pastor claiming such a thing, but I have, also, heard from some other people that they have heard Christians making this claim, have you heard of, or experienced this? How common is this myth?

If things are unexplainable, it's very common for the faith bound belief systems to assign it a demon quality. Woman were burned at the stake for less then autism. If we don't understand it, can't explain it, we will denounce it. Problem solved.

Yep, it's illegal to do violent demon exorcisms on ill people and people who have a disorder. They become traumatized.

Yep, it's illegal to do violent demon exorcisms on ill people and people who have a disorder. They become traumatized.

That's one of the key reasons why, in Catholic exorcisms, there always are lay people present, they're there to witness the event and make sure no abuses take place.
1664737252759.png

I have never heard such a claim and would think it speaks more about the people holding such a degenerate belief. If they can believe in such nonsense, it seems they are gullible enough to believe in anything outrageous and untrue.

I'm not talking about the ancients believing that an epileptic was possessed by a god, demon or other spirit; I'm talking about the claim that apparently some modern Christians believe that we Autistic people are actually just possessed by demons. I have only heard of one pastor claiming such a thing, but I have, also, heard from some other people that they have heard Christians making this claim, have you heard of, or experienced this? How common is this myth?
It is quite absurd people even think that way: demons are u kidding me!

There's always going to be that "lunatic fringe" that believe in all sorts of things. Consider the source,...disregard,...and then move along.

Happens a lot more than a lot of people want to believe. The following link is to a news story on our government owned and operated news site, reasonably trustworthy. Search and you'll find it on plenty of others too.

Happens a lot more than a lot of people want to believe. The following link is to a news story on our government owned and operated news site, reasonably trustworthy. Search and you'll find it on plenty of others too.

I tend to think of such incidents as the hatred of religious zealots towards anybody not like them. i hope they are brought up on murder one, or depraved indifference.

i hope they are brought up on murder one

Both parents charged with murder, 12 others charged as accessories along with a whole heap of other child abuse charges.

Seems there's another similar story every few years in southern Queensland, our equivalent of your "bible belt".

Both parents charged with murder, 12 others charged as accessories along with a whole heap of other child abuse charges.

Seems there's another similar story every few years in southern Queensland, our equivalent of your "bible belt".
I hope they will have a cruel lifetime of prayer in their solitary cells.

I have experience in this matter. Demonism is complicated, but garden-variety autism is no more demonic than being left-handed is.

I'm left-handed and back in the day....

My Mum was made to use her right hand and she became right handed in time, but she still did her knitting left handed. When we were kids she tried to teach us to be ambidextrous, and write with our feet too.

My Mum was made to use her right hand and she became right handed in time, but she still did her knitting left handed. When we were kids she tried to teach us to be ambidextrous, and write with our feet too.
The exact same thing happened to my mother! If she used her left hand to write in school, the teachers forced her to sit on her left hand and write with the right She is right-handed now. But at least they didn't burn her.

I'm also left-legged and in gymclass in school gym teachers always told me "you're using the wrong leg!" when I kicked a ball or something. They were actually annoyed. I'm just happy they didn't burn me. :)

Last edited:
I've run across this one from a Catholic priest at the college which I attend (a very small Catholic liberal arts college.) He denied that high-functioning autism exists, sticking with the Asperger's designation, then decided to ask my political affiliation--I answered Liberal, so he concluded that I must have a demon. I concluded that spiritual direction is not for me at this point.

My girlfriend is also autistic, and a die-hard Catholic. She's gotten the soft-pedaled approach to this--the idea that everything can just be "prayed away." Some people don't actually realize that a psychological issue may need something other than prayers to resolve; God gave man Reason and Science for a good cause! Now she's doing better.

I know living in the deep south again I'm meeting people who think anyone who isn't Just Like Them has got to be mentally ill or demonically affected.
If you've ever maybe gotten the sense, @Greatshield17, that I am deliberately unfriendly to traditionalist Catholics, or to Conservatives in general, this is all some of my reasoning for avoiding that group/lifestyle.

That's one of the key reasons why, in Catholic exorcisms, there always are lay people present, they're there to witness the event and make sure no abuses take place.
View attachment 86156
You claim disorderly people aren't posessed and it's a myth. I consider it to be disgusting and waste of time as well, untrue. That person should be getting treatment or help.

I have experience in this matter. Demonism is complicated, but garden-variety autism is no more demonic than being left-handed is.
One day we'll have to accept that we're the evil ones. That is how they see us.

I'm evil for my honesty, for opening eyes and minds.
I'm feared for standing up to my bullies.
I'm ill-natured for having sensitive skin.
I'm wrong for disagreeing.
I'm the evil one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Top Bottom