• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Have you ever felt that your interest drove people away?

I've always been told it has but I figure if they don't like my interest, they don't like me and if they don't like me, why should I hang around them in the first place?
I've never really enjoyed the company of other people simply for the sake of people with other people and if I couldn't do SOMETHING related to my special interests/obsessions, or had been instructed not to bring them up, I felt like I was suffocating and being tortured. I was always being instructed to not bring up my special interests, but it was like being instructed not to breathe. I never listened and brought them up anyway. I was never able to keep a "friend" for more than a year or two, which by then we were no longer in the same classroom. But when I was an adult and learned about the internet, I've met people on here about ten years ago that I'm still friends with to this day...but ONLY because we share interests.

I might be missing something, so feel free to correct me. When someone I know has interests that are different from mine I don't mind at all engaging in that interest to get to know them but if they don't show interest in my interests then I feel lonely.

Is there a issue in not meeting the other person half way with their interest too?

For example if you really like Pokemon and they don't they can be open to it. However, if they really like Gravity Falls and you don't you can be open to it? I know it doesn't make a lot of sense to hang out with someone that doesn't love your interest as much as you do but maybe they'll eventually love Pokemon and maybe you'll eventually like Gravity Falls. (again Pokemon and Gravity falls are just examples)

I can do that, but only to a limited extent. But I can never take it as far as liking things that clearly does not interest me. It's sad that I came to the realization that I needed to be more like other people to feel dignified but I am happy with what I do. I really am, but there's a part of me that's empty knowing that no one will be there with me, having as much fun as I am.

Recently, I've met someone who I share so much interest with. We have so much in common and more than anything I want to be friends with him. Yet, he is always busy...and it's complicated.

It's very painful and I too have rare moments where I hate that I can't have fun with my friends in the way I want.

It's really painful.

New Threads

Top Bottom