• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Have you ever been manipulated by someone who said/did something derogatory and you called them out only to be told you can’t handle criticism?

2Fragile2TakeCriticism

Black sheep in my own community
V.I.P Member
I went across a situation about people behaving misogynistic in the music industry (domestic violence, sexual abuse, exploitation, etc.) and someone made a meme about there is no misogyny in music which claims the people “whining” about it are delusional and don’t know what they’re talking about.

What’s even more typical is that when it’s targeting against a specific group and it’s addressed, the common defense mechanism is “you can’t take criticism/are so easily offended, screw you whiny oversensitive crybabies!”. For example with the misogyny case “women can’t handle criticism and when someone disses them, they have to be so easily offended and play the victim, women who cry sexism for simply being criticized are liars!”, or in other cases “it’s funny how women cry sexism when it’s done against them but they’re ok with treating men like crap and call it empowerment, damn feminists are hypocrites, women don’t want equality, they want special treatment!”.

It’s the same thing for every other form of bigotry, if you call out bigotry, you’re labeled as whiny, oversensitive, easily offended, having a “victim mentality”, cannot handle criticism, you get the picture.

I myself have been told this as well in every subject possible, and it’s awful. I can’t help but think this is a manipulation tactic to make people vulnerable to the bad behavior of others feel bad.

Has anyone else had any of these experiences before?

I went across a situation about people behaving misogynistic in the music industry (domestic violence, sexual abuse, exploitation, etc.) and someone made a meme about there is no misogyny in music which claims the people “whining” about it are delusional and don’t know what they’re talking about.

Are these familiar people you socialize or interact with on a regular basis? Do they know you based on repetition of such arguments to make assumptions about you rather than deal with your contentions?

Perhaps you need to concern yourself with why such people would gaslight you, regardless of whether you are right or wrong about something. Accusations of "whining" usually imply this is something in their eyes you may be doing on a frequent basis.

If this is the case, whether you are right or wrong is probably less important than changing how you interact with people so as not to generate their ire on a regular basis. Try focusing on something to enjoy rather than something to complain about. The same people may become more receptive towards you.

Last edited:

What’s even more typical is that when it’s targeting against a specific group and it’s addressed, the common defense mechanism is “you can’t take criticism/are so easily offended, screw you whiny oversensitive crybabies!”. For example with the misogyny case “women can’t handle criticism and when someone disses them, they have to be so easily offended and play the victim, women who cry sexism for simply being criticized are liars!”, or in other cases “it’s funny how women cry sexism when it’s done against them but they’re ok with treating men like crap and call it empowerment, damn feminists are hypocrites, women don’t want equality, they want special treatment!”.

It’s the same thing for every other form of bigotry, if you call out bigotry, you’re labeled as whiny, oversensitive, easily offended, having a “victim mentality”, cannot handle criticism, you get the picture.

I myself have been told this as well in every subject possible, and it’s awful. I can’t help but think this is a manipulation tactic to make people vulnerable to the bad behavior of others feel bad.

Has anyone else had any of these experiences before?
Yes I have had these experiences, probably everyone has. I just say "Apparently, neither can you."

New Threads

Top Bottom