• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Has the time passed for me to ever get a girlfriend?

How can I "build myself" or "work on myself" as others sometimes tell me? My mind keeps telling me everything is too late and I could never overcome the obstacles I faced with the things I wanted to be good at. I still can't play a guitar solo or complex songs despite having a guitar since 2002 and I haven't written any songs despite how I used to hope I would be a professional musician one day. I don't have any books published and I am turning 31 soon. I struggle to draw despite my age as well to the point I don't even try at all these days. I reached adulthood only because I figuratively sat around and my brain stopped growing physically before I could develop special talents.

I don't know you but as I read through this thread, I notice every thought you have is negative. You are focused on the things you can't do, or the reasons you haven't found a relationship. This tendency will not motivate you to develop your strengths. Try to find some positives in your self and your life, and see if that affects your low self-esteem.

Future girlfriends don’t have to know about your lack of past relationships. You could lie a bit and say you’ve dated some woman and there was no chemistry between you both beyond dating. Then you could lie a bit more and say you’ve been choosing to be alone for a while to work on yourself and it’s taking time. You will get there if you try. It’s important to have your own life and recognise a partner is just an invitation or counterpart to spend your life together. It’ll all be okay. <3

Last edited:
Future girlfriends don’t have to know about your lack of past relationships. You could lie a bit and say you’ve dated some woman and there was no chemistry between you both beyond dating. Then you could lie a bit more and say you’ve been choosing to be alone for a while to work on yourself and it’s taking time. You will get there if you try. It’s important to have your own life and recognise a partner is just an invitation or counterpart to spend your life together. It’ll all be okay. <3

I will admit I've had a relationship before but it was short lived and it's been almost ten years since it happened so my romantic history is still shallow. My parents and my grandmother tried to set me up but I didn't mesh with the women they had in mind, especially in regards to interests and world views.

I agree with @GadAbout - the things you've posted are all negative aspects of yourself, with your main focus being on what you haven't done.

Focus on the things you HAVE DONE, and the things you CAN DO and you will start give off a positive vibe. People in general are usually put off by people who radiate negativity. They're also put off by desperation. You're 31, not 101. You have plenty of time left.

I can't play a guitar, I can't draw nor can have I had any books published, lol, but who cares! Life is what you make it. So what if you haven't achieved the things you listed, there'll be other things that you have achieved already and more things that you're going to go on to achieve. Lots more!

People often meet life partners in the unlikeliest of places so just work on being positive, not being your own worst enemy and the rest may follow.

I really haven't done a lot in my life. My mother is a complete control freak and she didn't encourage me to follow my passions or expand my knowledge, didn't expose me to many different surroundings, and discouraged me from doing things "normal people" do because she dubbed me as "disabled".

I missed so many milestones in my developmental years so I feel like a failed experiment that should be trashed.

I missed so many milestones in my developmental years so I feel like a failed experiment that should be trashed.
Ffs. This is a complete eye opener explaining exactly how I feel about my own existence. I’m not too affected by your post, but I’ll point it out as a trigger warning to some people. Be very careful about going out and doing stuff nowadays as you could well be a vulnerable adult. I’m saying that for myself, too.

...Be very careful about going out and doing stuff nowadays as you could well be a vulnerable adult. I’m saying that for myself, too.
So what is he supposed to do, then? Stay stuck in a rut? I don't know what you mean by "a vulnerable adult."

So what is he supposed to do, then? Stay stuck in a rut? I don't know what you mean by "a vulnerable adult."
I’ve already mentioned what he could do earlier in this thread. Also, if you Google ‘vulnerable adult’ you’ll find out what it means. :blush:

I am the same I know there is hope for all of us I sometimes listen to romantic music and pretend I am the one singing it to the lady I think Ed Sheeran should share some of his romantic magic with the rest of us haha I might dye my hair ginger if my mum lets me I’m 34
I’m just wondering what’s gonna happen if you dye your hair without your mom’s permission?

Ffs. This is a complete eye opener explaining exactly how I feel about my own existence. I’m not too affected by your post, but I’ll point it out as a trigger warning to some people. Be very careful about going out and doing stuff nowadays as you could well be a vulnerable adult. I’m saying that for myself, too.

I have gone out and done things since I was 21. It's nothing new for me. I just usually do everything alone since I have very few friends.

I am now wishing I didn't have Aspergers and want a cure since that's probably the only way I'll ever have a girlfriend. I don't even want my birthday celebrated this year.

I feel like I am legally required to suggest that you find someone to help you process your feelings about death.

But I mostly wish I could offer you some comfort. That's a pretty awful place to be in.

I don't have any hope for ever finding love and wish death would accept me.

Lots of people, NT and ND never find 'love' but they're happy, settled, accepting of their life.

Your issue sounds bigger than not finding love. I second the advice from the previous post - find someone (a medical professional) to work through your wish about death accepting you.

You're 30 years old. Law of averages means you have long time left to feel so unhappy about your life. If you want change, you have to take the first steps.

Please don't give up!

New Threads

Top Bottom