• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Has anyone experienced trichotillomania?

Neytiri

I started pulling my hair at 13 years old and I still do it when I am overwhelmed. I didn’t know that it is a way of stimming in autism. Please feel free to share your experience with me.

There was someone here on the forum who talked about that earlier this year, but she's not here now unfortunately.

Related to the topic:

Related to the topic:

Thank you so much.

I don't but I have read quite a few people on autism forums share that or similar repetitive behaviors.

But it made me wonder why in the world do they come up with names like Trichotillomania, which is practically unusable in everyday conversation? Why not just call it Hair Pulling? Are those that coin these terms paid by the letter? ;)

I don't but I have read quite a few people on autism forums share that or similar repetitive behaviors.

But it made me wonder why in the world do they come up with names like Trichotillomania, which is practically unusable in everyday conversation? Why not just call it Hair Pulling? Are those that coin these terms paid by the letter? ;)

So funny. Probably the same people that name worcestershire sauce

I over scratch my scalp, so that tells me l am stressed because it gets sore. I do pick at skin when stressed. But the biggest one is l grind my teeth. I seem to rotate between these.

I do tend to pull out eyelashes/eyebrows if they are there when I am stressed. I think my hair loosens and begins to fall out when stressed, too, and at my age that looks patently ridiculous. I'm not old.
So I try to stay more chilled out and that leaves me looking a bit like a chia pet.

I do tend to pull out eyelashes/eyebrows if they are there when I am stressed. I think my hair loosens and begins to fall out when stressed, too, and at my age that looks patently ridiculous. I'm not old.
So I try to stay more chilled out and that leaves me looking a bit like a chia pet.
I had to look up what was a chia pet. So funny. Thank you for sharing your experience.

Yes, I do have that tendancy, but having been diagnosied with sleep apnea, I have to wear my hair up, for the tube and seems to have cured that need to pull my hair out. It felt so relaxing to run my hand through my hair, and have loose strands coming out, but boy, the floor was covered in the morning with my loose hair and would have to clean it up.

Yes, I do have that tendancy, but having been diagnosied with sleep apnea, I have to wear my hair up, for the tube and seems to have cured that need to pull my hair out. It felt so relaxing to run my hand through my hair, and have loose strands coming out, but boy, the floor was covered in the morning with my loose hair and would have to clean it up.
I’m glad that you have it resolved. I do it involuntarily when I watch tv, I’m bored or I’m stressed. I stop for several months and then it comes back. It is debilitating and embarrassing.

I'm always chewing at or picking my lips when watching TV, when concentrating
on doing a chore like writing, paying bills, or trying to understand the "fine print."

I looked into this habitual type of stimming, and it said the reason it feels good is
because the lips have so many nerve endings in them that it releases endorphins.
I think that is the same reason for pulling and twisting hair. Endorphin release.

Look at the contentment and bonding picking at each other's hair produces in
animals. Especially primates.
I also have the tendency to pick at skin or press on a sore place on the skin.
It hurts so good. :rolleyes:

I started pulling my hair at 13 years old and I still do it when I am overwhelmed. I didn’t know that it is a way of stimming in autism. Please feel free to share your experience with me.
When I was in 4th grade I had this habit pretty bad, but then kinda morphed into mouth chewing/lip biting, which I still do to this day. I sometimes pull my hair when stressed or upset, just not out.

I'm always chewing at or picking my lips when watching TV, when concentrating
on doing a chore like writing, paying bills, or trying to understand the "fine print."

I looked into this habitual type of stimming, and it said the reason it feels good is
because the lips have so many nerve endings in them that it releases endorphins.
I think that is the same reason for pulling and twisting hair. Endorphin release.

Look at the contentment and bonding picking at each other's hair produces in
animals. Especially primates.
I also have the tendency to pick at skin or press on a sore place on the skin.
It hurts so good. :rolleyes:
Hey, I’m so glad that you mentioned that. The feeling is like an stress reliever. (It hurts good) , that’s how it feels like

When I was in 4th grade I had this habit pretty bad, but then kinda morphed into mouth chewing/lip biting, which I still do to this day. I sometimes pull my hair when stressed or upset, just not out.
Im glad that you got out of the habit.

New Threads

Top Bottom