• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Gynophobia.

Not among "gynes."

Also, is that a fear of women's behavioral tendencies or their female-specific body parts?

Is there a link between aspergers & gynophobia?
Lucy, i know about the Google definition of gynophobia but i dont hate women, quite the opposite. My problem is i fear women & have done since my early teens. The fact is i have never had a relationship or sex with one. As you can imagine it is quiet frustrating by the time you are 72 & still a virgin. It was made worse cause women used to approach me not the other way round. I wasnt a bad lookig lad they said i looked like David Essex ( whoever he is) but if they made it clear they liked me i used to shake like a leaf then make an excuse to leave. I've been like that ever since. I think your mistaking me for a misogonist which i am not.

Lucy, i know about the Google definition of gynophobia but i dont hate women, quite the opposite. My problem is i fear women & have done since my early teens. The fact is i have never had a relationship or sex with one. As you can imagine it is quiet frustrating by the time you are 72 & still a virgin. It was made worse cause women used to approach me not the other way round. I wasnt a bad lookig lad they said i looked like David Essex ( whoever he is) but if they made it clear they liked me i used to shake like a leaf then make an excuse to leave. I've been like that ever since. I think your mistaking me for a misogonist which i am not.

No, no not mistaking you for a misogynist at all just thought you didn't realize that the definition included strongly negative feelings towards women. Sounds like you have more an extreme shyness bordering on fear. What are you afraid of?

While there appear to be symptoms that might be common with ASD, I haven't seen anything to indicate Gynophobia specifically to be comorbid to autism.

Yet you can easily find sources citing "social phobia" in general related to ASD. So where does medicine objectively "draw a line" in such circumstances? I'm not sure. :confused:

http://www.healthguideinfo.com/phobias/p114719/

Last edited:
No, no not mistaking you for a misogynist at all just thought you didn't realize that the definition included strongly negative feelings towards women. Sounds like you have more an extreme shyness bordering on fear. What are you afraid of?
Thats what i sad in the last post "EXTREME FEAR" & i dont know the reason why. Ive seen many therapist over the years but they have all been useless & some of them expensive. I am to old to change now & expect to die a virgin. Thats life.

I want to say this sounds more like a matter of semantics relative to medical conditions. Which can "blur" the interpretation of such subjects. Yet this isn't the only place online you can find such questions.

https://www.quora.com/Are-autism-and-gynophobia-fear-of-women-comorbid

I can only cite in my own case that my social anxiety was never driven by gender concerns. Yet again I feel compelled to ponder the difference between a pathological "phobia" and generalized anxiety. Where is that line drawn?

I want to say this sounds more like a matter of semantics relative to medical conditions. Which can "blur" the interpretation of such subjects. Yet this isn't the only place online you can find such questions.

https://www.quora.com/Are-autism-and-gynophobia-fear-of-women-comorbid

I can only cite in my own case that my social anxiety was never driven by gender concerns. Yet again I feel compelled to ponder the difference between a pathological "phobia" and generalized anxiety. Where is that line drawn?

Good point Judge, don't have that answer. Also an interesting link in Quora.

Might make for an interesting polling of our community. Whether they construe that they have very specifc "phobias" or more generalized conditions like social anxiety or even OCD. But then manifestations of OCD can potentially be very specific as well, yet that's a condition not classified as a phobia that I know of.

Interesting post, Roy. Maybe someone else can comment more decisively on such a thing.

Not sure. I'm the opposite, afraid of men but I always thought it was because I was abused and not due to ASD.

Not sure. I'm the opposite, afraid of men but I always thought it was because I was abused and not due to ASD.

I'd think fears based solidly on reality are closer to being based on conditions like PTSD. Yet some forms of PTSD itself have been linked to autism. It's almost like this becomes a sort of "circular argument". :confused:

I know in my own case my issues of OCD are based on real things that happened in my life. At least that's the trigger my physician explained to me. That while it can be comorbid it wasn't directly associated to my being on the spectrum.

In doctor Gilmartins book called"shyness & love" he states that loveshyness as he calls it may well be connected to aspergers syndrome. But i dont know for sure.

I think some nervousness around the opposite sex is probably pretty common with all guys, but it is often more pronounced with ASD people.

Most of my social anxiety was always directly based on familiarity. If I knew someone my anxieties would be minimal to begin with and would more often than not just disappear. Whereas with relative strangers I was uptight and on guard which could be exhausting if prolonged. But it didn't matter whether they were male or female.

Though looking back on my life as an adult I do seem more prone to making friends with women than men.

I guess when I get threat warnings, they're always pertinent to the genus and not the gender. Go figure. o_O

In doctor Gilmartins book called"shyness & love" he states that loveshyness as he calls it may well be connected to aspergers syndrome. But i dont know for sure.
Perhaps you could find contact information for Dr. Gilmartin, in order to ask him to please tell you more about his reasons for this statement.

New Threads

Top Bottom