• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Groundhog day 2018

As a Brit, you guys have me lost. I have no idea what Groundhog Day is.

Apparently it's a day where you repeat the same thing constantly for the full day, as I recall it was part of a question on The Chase last week..

Also, have you seen the film starring Bill Murray? To mark the day it was shown all day on Sky Movies yesterday.

Apparently it's a day where you repeat the same thing constantly for the full day, as I recall it was part of a question on The Chase last week..

Also, have you seen the film starring Bill Murray? To mark the day it was shown all day on Sky Movies yesterday.
No,it's not a day where you repeat the same day over and again,it's a silly tradition brought to this country by the Germanic people who were called the Pennsylvania Dutch that took root in our local history.
It is a traditional event held as a joke here about how long our winter will last.

Bill Murray starred in a comedy movie where HE was forced to repeat the day over and over again in the town of Punxsutawney where he was sent as a part of a reporting team as a weatherman to provide a humorous newscast for his TV station he worked for.
The storyline that follows is where he can make adjustments and take risks with his own life and gain the interest of his coworker after he discovers it might last forever.

Try reading this link provided by @Butterfly88 to gain a better understanding of our silly tradition.
Groundhog Day - Wikipedia

I loved the movie Groundhog Day (1993) the first couple of times I saw it and Bill Murray is excellent in various movies, but like any good movie it's been shown so many times that it's no longer that enjoyable. I doubt most people in countries like the UK would have even heard of this famous tradition however if it wasn't for the movie, I certainly hadn't.

Regarding the tradition itself, even though some animals do have a natural sense regarding the weather, the statistics over the years show that these predictions are nothing but random, except they are biased so he sees his shadow much more often since it's fairly rare to have an early spring. It's hardly surprising since there isn't one tiny scrap of scientific evidence that links an animal seeing his shadow or not with anything to do with predicting the weather. Yes, of course it's complete and utter b**l***t, but if the people enjoy it and it's not hurting anyone or any animals then good luck to them and carry on.

Last edited:
Groundhog

Scientific Name:
Marmota monax

Other Common Names: Woodchuck, whistle-pig, or land-beaver

Description:
The groundhog is normally brown in colour but can be completely black or completely white. It is one of North America's largest true hibernators. The groundhog is the major hole-digging mammal over much of eastern North America, and in some places in the west, providing all sorts of animals with shelter. The groundhog it spends much of its time eating and sunning when not hibernating or caring for young.

Range: Groundhogs are widely distributed in North America and are particularly common in the east where they are found from Alabama and Georgia in the United States to northern Quebec and Ontario. In the west, their range extends northward to Alaska and through southern Yukon and Northwest Territories.

2groundhog480.jpg

I have a friend that is a whistle pig hunter on the farmlands around here.
Farmers love the hog hunters because the burrows will destroy their equipment in their fields.
He uses a bull barreled rig that pumps extremely hot hand loads in it to do the dirty work from very long distances.

Back when Ma Bell down at the telephone company would allow it,he chose Marmota Monax as his number listing in the book :p

I suppose that depends on one's concept of May Day.

In this instance no troops, no tanks, no Marx, Engels or Lenin.

Where I live we go up the Cerne Abbas Giant and drink beer in the early hours of the morning. My dad does morris dancing up there.

Nah, I haven't seen it. I'll probably get around to watching it at some point.

New Threads

Top Bottom