• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Got made redundant today...

AGXStarseed

I had a meeting with my manager today and got told in understandably no ceremonious terms that I'm been made redundant from my job.
Once the end of February rolls around, I'm jobless unless I find something quick.

As a whole, this news has left me shocked, angry, upset and generally just feeling numb and depressed.
While my workplace has said they'll help me update my CV and try to find a new job based on what they know of my skill-set, it does have me worried as I've got stuff at home that needs sorting and there's other important stuff coming up this year and the next that I need to save up for.

Apologies for the rant but I needed to get it off my chest.

Sorry to hear that. I think everyone feels down (understandably) when that happens. Try not to let it keep you down. In the US we have unemployment insurance to help cover the gap between jobs. Is there something like that you qualify for?

I am really sorry to read this @AGXStarseed

It must've been a horrible shock to receive such news and your feelings are perfectly understandable. It'll probably take some time for you to process your feelings and for the news to 'sink in'. Take care.

Sorry to hear that. I think everyone feels down (understandably) when that happens. Try not to let it keep you down. In the US we have unemployment insurance to help cover the gap between jobs. Is there something like that you qualify for?

Thank you.
I'm in the UK, so I'm not sure. There's Jobseekers allowance (where you get paid a set amount as long as you prove that you're looking for work) but having gone through that for years while I was doing voluntary work, I can safely say it is hell - especially as they can take you off it for been a few minutes late to when you go to show them your paperwork to prove you've been looking for work.

Layoffs, that can be a tough thing. You still sound pretty upbeat, l assume you are feeling it but the fact they are offering a little help is good. I know nothing about the job market in UK but in the USA, it's booming in some places and completely non-existent in others. The big hurdle is speaking Spanish here. I saw that everywhere in LA. It's starting to creep in to requirements where l am now.

I had a meeting with my manager today and got told in understandably no ceremonious terms that I'm been made redundant from my job.
Once the end of February rolls around, I'm jobless unless I find something quick.

As a whole, this news has left me shocked, angry, upset and generally just feeling numb and depressed.
While my workplace has said they'll help me update my CV and try to find a new job based on what they know of my skill-set, it does have me worried as I've got stuff at home that needs sorting and there's other important stuff coming up this year and the next that I need to save up for.

Apologies for the rant but I needed to get it off my chest.
You could get employment insurance now but I don’t know if that so you couldn’t have it because you knew you were going to be unemployed insurance companies don’t have the highest morals

That sucks fish !
Pants!

Indeed.co.uk - chocker block full of vacancies if you're looking for something to tide you over.

There is a government job search site, I'm not sure who is responsible for the input of details and updates,
in the past I've found it lacking.

Good luck with your search. Hope you find something soon.

Sorry to hear about your job. I dread the day that happens to me. I can understand how you feel I think. Good luck finding something new.

There are often jobs for people with computer programming skills, even during bad economic times. If you can get into a IT training program sometimes companies will hire before you complete your training. I wish you all the best, and hope you find a new job quickly.

I'm sorry to hear that AGX. Isn't there a law or workplace regulation that requires that they prove redundancy? And when that occurs that they find you another position on the same level within the business?

It would be interesting to discover if anyone else has been made redundant there. And also to find out what the regulations are related to that. I've worked for two different companies one which went bankrupt, and another that was bought out by a larger company. Both had to provide some compensation and the second company had to find me a similar position in the larger company.

I know the feeling, I'm two weeks into unemployment, it will happen sometimes, just have to fight through it and stay positive...

New Threads

Top Bottom