• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Good Books

mw2530

The purpose of this thread is to share good books that you have read and that you would suggest for others to read. I don't read a ton, but would like to always have a book to read when I have spare time. There are so many to choose from, and I don't want to waste time reading a book that isn't anything special. Of course, determining whether a book is good or not is always in the eye of the beholder. Anyway, I'll get started by listing a few that I have read recently and have liked. I like history and nonfiction, but am open to other genres as well. Hopefully this will become a ongoing thread.

Most Dangerous: Daniel Ellsberg and the Secret History of the Vietnam War
Blind Descent: Surviving alone and Blind on Mount Everest
American Sniper

There are more, but can't think of all of them right now.

"Games People Play" by Dr. Eric Berne. It's the manual on how NT social interactions work, complete with diagrams. It's a fun read, short too.

Never gonna stop recommending this book at every opportunity, it changed my entire outlook on social interaction and advanced my social skills by years.

just started big ideas veggietales bible story book i was cautious about it as im not a profound thinker but i laughed at the title dave and the giant pickle (the smiling peas are cute )

Thanks to those who posted. It is disappointed how some threads just don't seem to "take off". I hope it is simply lack of interest in the particular thread, and not based on who begins the thread. I might be spending too much time on this site.

@mw2530 I'm sure it's nothing personal. For me, the description of "a good book" is too vague, which is why I didn't post a response yet. I was unsure whether you meant fiction or non-fiction, and if fiction, whether there were certain genres that you do or don't want to read. The old Aspie insecurity trap: insecure about so many things I end up not responding at all.

Any of Sharon Kay Penman's books. They are historical fiction books about the reign of Henry II of England and about Llywelyn the Great. She also wrote a book about Richard III of England as well. The only downside is that they are usually in the 800-1000 page range. I also recommend the Dresden Files. I've only read the first few books, but they are awesome. It's about a wizard solving supernatural crimes in Chicago.

I've tried her books, but it bothers me how she does the research into the era and then changes it just to make her story more exciting.

I just discovered a new author, he's christian and his books have christian allegories. I didn't even figure that out until 2/3's of the way into the first one I read. His name is Ted Dekker and I would put his books into the same genre as Dean Koontz. I love 'em.:) Dark and twisted plotlines...

A book series I've been enjoying lately is The Dresden Files. It's tough to describe them, but it's about a wizard P.I. in Chicago. The first two books aren't the greatest but the others are awesome. Most people recommend starting at book 7, but I would recommend starting at book 3.

I don't do fiction. So for me it is "Not So Big House".

I love Japanese literature.

Haruki Murakami
Junichiro Tanizaki
Shusaku Endo
Natsume Soseki
Osamu Dazai

Some of my fave writers.

New Threads

Top Bottom