• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Going to see a Social Worker on Thursday (Need Advice)

LittleDeer

So I've finally made an appointment at the doctor's office to talk about my severe anxiety, depression and about the possibility of talking about an Asperger's diagnosis. I am very very nervous. I'm scared of going to the doctor in general, but I just am really unsure of what to even say to the Social Worker.

I did talk to a school counselor before and went to an outside counselor for a while when I was in high school quite a while ago, but never had to go this route before. I don't really know what Social Workers do, or what to expect, or how to bring up the possibility of myself having Asperger's without it coming out wrong. Because she supposedly is going to evaluate my psychological state and then give that information to my doctor and then my doctor will decide on what medication I need and will help me to find a psychologist who will work with me. I just really don't know what to expect or if I should bring up the possibility of Asperger's to her right away. I'm getting all flustered over it, and even though the appointment is a few days away, I still feel like I need to be completely prepared as soon as I possibly can be.

I would really appreciate any advice or insight anyone can give me. I don't want to be scared because I know I need this help, but I can't help but be anxious about a very new and unpredictable situation for me. My stomach is in knots right now.

OK first of all take a deep breath. Social workers are just people...I know i happen to have my degree in social work. The social worker is there to help you. So be honest and truthful, candid about what you need and want from the meeting. Tell her what your thoughts are in terms of having an ASD. I would come prepared with specific things you want to tell her. If it helps to write things down do that. I had a client when I was in my internship that it helped if she wrote out what she wanted to talk about so that she didn't forget anything especially if it was a main concern. Other than that just be yourself it is the only way they can help you. Plus you have us pulling for you go get'em tiger.

Thank you very much Arashi. I had actually thought about writing things down before I went so I would have everything organized in case I forgot something or couldn't find my words. My thoughts get very jumbled up when I'm stressed.

My appointment is in an hour. I don't drive and couldn't get a ride, so I will be walking there. It's about a 20 minute walk for me. But I think the walk may also help me calm down a bit. I've also been sitting and petting my rabbit for a while on the couch to try to relax, since she does calm me down pretty well. I do feel very out of sorts right now though. I didn't sleep well and my stomach has hurt since this morning from the anxiety. I've barely been able to eat, but I did make sure I have something in my stomach. Low blood sugar certainly won't make me feel any better.

I really hope the woman I'm seeing is nice and quiet. There was a counselor I saw at school and she was nice but she talked a lot louder than I was comfortable with and it stressed me out a bit.

I do have paperwork to fill out before I talk to her, so that will give me a little time to calm down and process the unfamiliar environment. I'm sure I will feel a lot better afterward. I'm just so unsure of what to expect from her.

I'll probably post here and share how things went once I get back home afterward.

We are with you LittleDear,
Arashi222 gave great advice! Relax about life, and yes, write things down. I must do the same. If there are two things I need to tell the DR. I will surely forget one of them. Then I will be upset because I forgot the other.
Good luck.

Awww Good Luck LittleDeer. You will be fine. Just remember she is there to help you. If you find talking loud bothers you let her know that. We don't know until you say something. I always used to tell my clients that. Because I have sensitives too so I always make sure they know that if something I am doing was bugging them to tell me. I am sure it will go well. Good luck we're all here waiting for how it went.

New Threads

Top Bottom