• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Getting some slight Fomo

Another way to meet people is Couchsurfers. Couchsurfers is an organisation for hosting and offering free accommodation to travellers, but you don't have to offer accommodation or have the person come to your home, you can use it for meetups only and you indicate this in you settings. Each person creates a profile with information about themselves, and when people have had successful meetups or overnight stays, they verify and leave comments for that person, which adds a level of safety to it. You can check the person out before going for coffee or whatever with them, to see what they like or where they have been, and that can be a basis for conversation. If you don't like the look of someone, you have the option of declining.

Years ago, I used to go online and post ads asking if people wanted to go to the bar with me. I met SO MANY AWESOME people that way. Of course, some were weird, but most were very, very nice, and accepted me into their clique with open arms!!!! I've been staying inside for the past couple years since I found out what autism was. Should I get back out there? I have my vehicle. Do you guys think it is worth it to go on social adventures if your AS is higher functioning? They would probably over time find out I'm not NT but they would be nice about it I think. I'm sure there are tons of youngsters that would like to chill. I'm going to put one of my interests in the ad so there is a common ground between me and whoever I'm meeting. Should I go mingle???
My advise and this is just mine (I don't have Asperger's, my son does) watching my son, he is very trusting of people and it scares me because he cannot READ people being an aspy. I think mingling is good and if you can I think it is a good thing but be CAREFUL, people today can be crazy so I would say just make sure it is a public place.

Do you guys think it is worth it to go on social adventures if your AS is higher functioning? They would probably over time find out I'm not NT but they would be nice about it I think.

You could always tell them. I think people tend to be more understanding when they know why you're different. Why did you stop going out when you found out? It sounds like you already have safety concerns handled

New Threads

Top Bottom