• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Getting a job after a long gap.

Ian114

Hello, everyone.

I haven't had a real job since I was 17 (23 now.) What should I put on a resume, or say when they ask about the 5-year gap in my employment? I'm so nervous and it's keeping me from applying anywhere because of the fear of rejection.

Thank you in advance.

How much do you want to be upfront about your AS and the issues that come from it?

If you feel it's part of why you haven't had a job, I wouldn't hesitate to state it, even if it's only in the actual interview if they ask me "what did you do in the years in between?"

But I guess the question sticks around; what did you do? Did you attend college? Did you sit at home collecting benefits (not judging; I'm doing the same thing right now)? Did you pursue a diagnosis and some kind of suplemental income? Were you in therapy? So many possible reasons why someone was sidelined for a while

You have to start applying to as many places as possible. You will get rejected by most of them. That is the nature of job hunting, and most people get rejected over and over again. It's hard at first, but it gets easier.

Hello, everyone.

I haven't had a real job since I was 17 (23 now.) What should I put on a resume, or say when they ask about the 5-year gap in my employment? I'm so nervous and it's keeping me from applying anywhere because of the fear of rejection.

Thank you in advance.

I understand. I've been in such a predicament for a very long time. Much longer than you.

One basic thing to consider, is your age. You're still in the realm of "starting out" given your age. I don't see such a gap as particularly significant. Health insurance considerations involving gainful, full-time employment isn't likely to be much of an issue either for someone your age.

It could be much worse. You could be me. I ended up taking an enormous risk using my savings to generate income on my own. Sometimes I see as a solution, other times I see it as a curse.

One basic thing to consider, is your age. You're still in the realm of "starting out" given your age. I don't see such a gap as particularly significant.
Judge is right; you're still young enough that many employers won't see such a gap as too terribly bad.

Thank you for all the advice. I'm still waiting to find out if I'll be going home for Christmas or not, I'll start job hunting once I know more.

Thank you for all the advice. I'm still waiting to find out if I'll be going home for Christmas or not, I'll start job hunting once I know more.
And keep in mind, you can put other things on a resume beside employment. Have you volunteered anywhere? What about classes, even online? If not, perhaps now is a good time to consider volunteer work while you're job searching.

Job hunting becomes a job of itself. Devote time to it and you will become good at it. Always speak positive of yourself, never say something negative. Review your history and find a positive spin to what you have done, where you have been, what you have learned.

A network of people is best option, go out at talk to people you know, present yourself to them, what your looking for. Ask for advice and recommendations. It's not what you know it is who.

Picking up a parttime job with neighbor cleaning his garden or mowing his lawn may lead to the unexpected.

And the time honored question; what exactly would you best like to do someday?

New Threads

Top Bottom