• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Getting a dog. (Bernese mountain dog)

My experience with Bernese Mountain Dogs is that they are extremely smart and full of energy. They can be fantastic dogs, but will need the proper mental stimulation and exercise so that they don’t cause trouble. They have the brain and the athleticism to be a working dog, but typically end up in people’s homes.

I’m partial to mutts from the rescue, myself. But any dog would be welcome in my home.

It’s a very exciting time when you are expecting a new dog! I hope everything goes well for you.

A dog is a great idea, and great fun!

I read through "the dogs I've known" on the list - G. shepherd, beagle, Lab - and the descriptions seem accurate.

My dogs generally come from the shelter, even if they are a "known breed."

I've had English Bull Terriers since I was six. Best described as a delightfully bonkers, stubborn, lazy three year old child-clown in a dog's body. Three of the four we have had were/are rescues.

I'd aim for a breed around 20-25Kg with short hair. Long haired breeds can be quite high maintenance especially working dog types.

Go down the local rescue centre and see what cuddle monsters lurk there looking for a new home.

A crucial fact about Bernese Mountain Dogs more than 55.1% of them end up with cancer. Twice the normal rate of most breeds. Their life span is usually about 6 years with 9 being the upper limit.

Right now I have a Husky/Eskimo mix and an Aussie. Our greyhound recently lost a short battle with cancer at the age of thirteen.

And greyhounds for all their speed are easygoing, indolent couch potatoes. They make great family dogs and are a good starter breed.

I am a Chihuahua person myself.

They are really good choices for people who have limited space and aren't very active. They are also good as a companion/lapdog that will follow you around everywhere. And being so small they are easy to manage. But while not sled dogs they have a ton of personnality and can be very engaging. They are also fiercly loyal and great for giving warning. They are also relatively long lived for dogs. The average lifespan is around 13-14 years, but they don't all live that long and some can live to 20.

On the down side they are not advised if you have small children, as they can be nippy with people that do not understand perosnnal space and also because the dogs are small and relatively fragile. They can also be barky, but not in a bark for hours at nothing way, just whenever they see a stranger, another dog, a car, etc.

Bernese are huge. Very loving. But huge. And hard to control on the leash as puppies. Because they're so curious and HUGE.

I once saw a three month old puppy put his head up on the kitchen counter and gobble up a cornish game hen right out of the pan.

I like chihuahuas also. I didn't think l would like a barky snippy little dog. But l met the sweetest one ever. And he won me over. I think he helped with my spouse's depression episodes. However he could really annoy his tuxedo cat brother by following him around everywhere. I like most all dogs and this sounds pretty exciting for you. Just please understand that dogs need exercise daily. If there are behavioral issues, please get some training done so that the dog doesn't become a problem child bounced around from homes to shelters. Be prepared for goofy behavior and lots of laughing.

Aw, I love Berners, they're one of my favourite breeds!

Looking at the list, the Old English Sheepdog is the one I'd go for, personally. A relative of mine had one when I was young.

New Threads

Top Bottom