• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

G'day

Andrew69

My name is Andrew. I live in Australia and have recently been diagnosed with high functioning autism at the age of 48. Previous to this I had been diagnosed with depression and social anxiety disorder since my 20's. I have been prescribed duloxetine and risperidone which seems to be helping. My psychologist suggested to go on a forum about autism so here I am. I also play music on several instruments.

Hi Andrew

welcome to af.png

Hi Andrew and welcome. Interesting that your psychologist suggested this. I like him. :)

Welcome to the forum! :)

I was "diagnosed" with anx&dep, before I finally got the autism assessment. Now (I graduated?) I am learning about autism here too. It's a good place! :)

Hey, Andrew!
I just turned 49, and discovered that I'm on the spectrum at 48!
(69 was a good year, btw)

Kudos to your psychologist.
I've learned so much here, and
made more connections than ever,
IRL.
You'll find we're a good bunch,
I think you'll like it here.

Welcome!

sidd

Andrew, my age and year of diagnosis is only one year behind you. Welcome to Autismforums.
I was diagnosed with dysthymia (depression) prior to my autism spectrum traits being identified. I found it was critical for me to understand the depression befor I realistically could manage understanding who I was as someone who fits on the autism spectrum. It does sound like you have solid professional help. I hope the depth of understanding related to the autism spectrum is significant there in Australia. As a proud United States citizen, I often look upon our European brothers and sister with envy as Europe seems to be much further along identifying and understanding adult autism traits. I digress.
I wish for you patients, pride-in-self, the ability to take a step back to deeply understand, and hope.
I hope the applicable experience of others that you read on this site is helpful. We hope to learn from your communicated experience as well. Thank you for joining.

Hi Andrew, i am also Australian and found out that I am on the spectrum when I was 31 and before that I was misdiagnosed with Schizoaffective disorder but I hope this website helps you and make some good friends.

Hi there. I used to be on risperidone and apart from one deal-breaker side effect (look through the list of side effects and the blazingly obvious one is the one) I had a fairly good experience on it.

Hi Andrew and welcome
Wow that's a bit of a cocktail they've put you on! This is certainly a good place to broaden your horizons regarding ASD. You were advised well :)
I'm the same age as you however my diagnosis was way back in the mists of time so I've known all my adult life. Doesn't seem to have made much difference to the life I've led though.

Hi, I'm a 42 year old Pom (not a Whingin' one, much :p ) from Sheffield.

Love Australia though, never been but I've watched Aussie soaps for over 30 years, and there'an Aussie themed Pub in Bakewell, England that's good.

Welcome, Andrew. I'm 49, diagnosed at 48. I hope you find this forum to be as welcoming, helpful, and supportive as I have.

Thank you all for your very kind words of welcome. I have to admit to some anxiety in coming here but reading your replies have made me feel more comfortable. Especially knowing there are more out there coping with a late diagnoses.

Welcome to the forums, Andrew! Nice to meet you. I'm from Australia too :) What instruments do you play? I used to play the clarinet in the school band. Everyone is really friendly and welcoming and helpful on these forums, so you've definitely come to the right place!

New Threads

Top Bottom