• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Gastric reflux

Doctors always prescribe proton pump inhibitors or H2 receptor blockers for this, like the omeprazole.
Continued gastric reflux can lead to a condition called Barrett's esophagus.

The man I house share with has this condition and has been to many doctors.
He has been prescribed omeprazole for years! And still his esophagus
overgrowth keeps progressing.
He is now on a very strong acid reducer,(don't know the name), that was
prescribed by an oncologist. His last biopsies were showing signs of it
turning into cancer.

I don't like those PPI's either due to what it can do to your organs.
But, they have to give something to keep the acid from causing this
damage to the esophagus.
Sometimes it's just between a rock and a hard place to choose what to do.

Sorry to hear the aloe didn't help.
I found taking the time released peppermint IBS guard caps in the morning and aloe juice before bed has helped me. Tums as needed.

My esophagus was raw red and so was my stomach, for continuous acid and I was so surprised that, like your partner, it did not turn sinister and then, something else went wrong with me, that prompted me to stop having refined sugar and replace with honey and when I had another endoscopy, whoa both my esophagus and stomach healed.

I am seeing dr tuesday and so hope he listened to me and there is something I can take other than omeprozol.

Same here. Some days, I do not suffer at all from heartburn and then, on other days, it is relentless, if I did not take the blasted tablet for it, which is a slow release and thus, have to wait for it to work, but it does give me relief.
The sad thing is that those of us who suffer from this will probably have it all the rest of our lives, unless they come up with some miracle drug! lol however with this covid around I doubt anyone is working on acid reflux.

Same here. Some days, I do not suffer at all from heartburn and then, on other days, it is relentless, if I did not take the blasted tablet for it, which is a slow release and thus, have to wait for it to work, but it does give me relief.
Pepto Bismal, Mylanta, Tums, and the like are very quick to neutralize the acid. However, once you feel the pain, it means some damage has already begun. Even if the acid is all gone it still takes time to stop hurting.

Just to add: I woke with heart pain and that caused panic and had to do a lot of logical reasoning. I have had intensive search into my heart condition and the verdict came back, that my heart is in good condition, so therefore, has to be heartburn related. Although, I had to repeat this a few times, the pain did calm down and found that if you take a deep breath and it hurts, that is actually a good sign lol ie acid related.

Oh, and Au Naturel. I currently take gaviscon for quick relief and more times than not, it works fast and for a fair amount of time.

Thanks to my God, Jehovah, I did not suffer last night or the night before. I asked Him to please help me and am so thankful to Him for doing that.

The sad thing is that those of us who suffer from this will probably have it all the rest of our lives, unless they come up with some miracle drug! lol however with this covid around I doubt anyone is working on acid reflux.

I am trying to flout that idea! But, if indeed, it won't go away, then I looked up something and it exists. I a pillow for gastic reflux. I had a pillow before, but this one tapers. So it is already thin at the base and then goes up like a slope, so at all times, it is comfortable on the back, neck and head. The one I had before, was lumpy at the base and caused headaches.

I am trying to flout that idea! But, if indeed, it won't go away, then I looked up something and it exists. I a pillow for gastic reflux. I had a pillow before, but this one tapers. So it is already thin at the base and then goes up like a slope, so at all times, it is comfortable on the back, neck and head. The one I had before, was lumpy at the base and caused headaches.
Really? I never heard of them. I will have to check them out! I have a bad neck from previous accidents. I can get a neck and headache really fast if I sleep wrong on my back. I just got rid of one mostly after 3 days of pain.

Licorice root acts in two ways against acid reflux and is proven by studies. It also doesn't dry my stomach as much as calcium carbonate [practically baking soda] or other prescribed drying pills, so it doesn't create extra stomach acid in response. My pills have minty taste bc they contain other herbs too but I swallow them anyway.

Avoid milk and fat foods, eating too high quantity foods especially warm liquids that relax and oil up your stomach trap. Don't eat much on each meal, feels lighter and less tiring too. Might want to try intermittent fasting, before bed, or sometime.

'During fasting, stomach secretion of ghrelin, the hunger hormone, increases. A study has shown that there is an inverse relationship between ghrelin blood levels and heartburn. Thus, fasting may be associated with GERD symptom improvement and less acid reflux events.'

Does Fasting Increase Heartburn? - Houston Heartburn and Reflux Center.

Be careful decreasing your acid too often, acidless digestion cannot break down nutrients as effectively.

Last edited:
That sounds good. I notice my posture after meals makes it better. It's better if I don't lean back but sit without a backrest especially on a certain couch which is too straight.

Also clothing tight around the stomach area is bad. That's also why I prefer light dresses in the summer.

My aspie friend fixed his reflux with ginger pills. Although these are supposed to be hot and irritate the stomach?

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom