• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Gary McKinnon has 'no choice' but to refuse medical test {UPDATED}

On a different note, Mckinnon remains convinced he did find evidence of a UFO cover-up. He really does genuinely believe the U.S. Government has crashed UFO's just like in Roswell. I still can't understand why he didn't consider China, Russia or even North Korea because if a UFO is going to crash it would end up anywhere from Siberia to Chile..

The woman who made the decision must have known there would be implications for her conscience if this man took his own life. Clearly she didn't want to have to be in the position to try and explain to Gary's mother why she had agreed to extradite him (faced with a risk of suicide) and then the possible social outrage that could seriously damage her party in the elections.
I agree with the decision here but, sure, if he did as much damage to databases as has been claimed, he could be charged over here. Really I don't know the extent of the hacking damage but am still surprised security was so poor. What if it had been a real terrorist and not a geek sitting in his bedroom at night.

Maybe that's just me, but if your conscience gets in the way of making decisions, I don't know if you should be put in the position to make decisions like that. But that might be my aspie judgment and rationalisation.

As for the terrorist comment; this exactly. I think I adressed this earlier; but I think they should rather offer this man a job, instead of sueing him (aside from it he can do a job due to his state). He clearly has good understanding of online security. He clearly exposed faulty "locks", so the government knew what to upgrade. Heck; there's companies that charge a lot of money to actually "attack" your network and check for errors.

On a different note, Mckinnon remains convinced he did find evidence of a UFO cover-up. He really does genuinely believe the U.S. Government has crashed UFO's just like in Roswell. I still can't understand why he didn't consider China, Russia or even North Korea because if a UFO is going to crash it would end up anywhere from Siberia to Chile..

Maybe those other countries were also on his "program" but he couldn't get to it before he got arrested.

Or maybe he thought "I got what I need, no need to bother with anything else"

And thinking about it; if anyone says UFO's... the first thing I think about is Roswell/Area51 and as such; the United states.

Maybe that's just me, but if your conscience gets in the way of making decisions, I don't know if you should be put in the position to make decisions like that. But that might be my aspie judgment and rationalisation.

As for the terrorist comment; this exactly. I think I adressed this earlier; but I think they should rather offer this man a job, instead of sueing him (aside from it he can do a job due to his state). He clearly has good understanding of online security. He clearly exposed faulty "locks", so the government knew what to upgrade. Heck; there's companies that charge a lot of money to actually "attack" your network and check for errors.

Maybe those other countries were also on his "program" but he couldn't get to it before he got arrested.

Or maybe he thought "I got what I need, no need to bother with anything else"

And thinking about it; if anyone says UFO's... the first thing I think about is Roswell/Area51 and as such; the United states.

He didn't do anything spectacular apparently - very basic hacking. He's not good enough to be hired on merit - just a good hacker and that's it. So, the matter remains as to whether he found something confidential. Do Governments actually know that E.T. is real? Well, same as Gary Mckinnon, I happen to know a fair bit about this subject which is really very complex and hard to get to the truth. I have myself seen a UFO (It happened close to 3 years ago). By that I mean, something inexplicable that I clearly keep an open mind about hence the term "Unidentified". The day after my close hand sighting, all the newspapers did a front page on strange phenomenon over the skies to the point phone-lines were jammed.
It's worth bearing in mind aircraft pilots, military, police and trained individuals have seen UFO's and this has been going on for some time. Mckinnon is someone whose fascination and curiosity becamse so great he acted without due caution and was reckless. Now he has learned to be more dsicreet but, yes, highly probable he saw something that worried the Pentagon.

Victory for common sense?

Ten years is a long time to persecute someone who has aspergers:

Gary McKinnon, the hacker accused of infiltrating NASA's computers, won't face charges here in the UK, bringing to an end his 10-year legal battle, the BBC reports.

McKinnon was going to be extradited to the US to face charges, thousands of pounds in fines, and possibly a 60-year jail sentence. That was until the Home Secretary Theresa May stepped in a couple of months ago. McKinnon suffers from Asperger's syndrome, and medical experts feared he would commit suicide if extradited.

Many will see this as a victory for common sense. McKinnon admits hacking into NASA's computers, but says he was looking for evidence of UFOs. US authorities described his actions as the "biggest military computer hack of all time" that was "calculated to influence and affect the US government by intimidation and coercion." Bit over the top, maybe.

Director of Public Prosecutions Keir Starmer QC made the announcement yesterday. He said in a statement: "The potential difficulties in bringing a case in England and Wales now should not be underestimated, not least the passage of time, the logistics of transferring sensitive evidence prepared for a court in the US to London for trial, the participation of US government witnesses in the trial and the need fully to comply with the duties of disclosure imposed on the CPS."

McKinnon's mother, Janis Sharp, was overjoyed at the news.

That information found here: Gary McKinnon won't be charged in the UK | CNET UK

Last edited by a moderator:
He didn't do anything spectacular apparently - very basic hacking. He's not good enough to be hired on merit - just a good hacker and that's it. So, the matter remains as to whether he found something confidential. Do Governments actually know that E.T. is real? Well, same as Gary Mckinnon, I happen to know a fair bit about this subject which is really very complex and hard to get to the truth. I have myself seen a UFO (It happened close to 3 years ago). By that I mean, something inexplicable that I clearly keep an open mind about hence the term "Unidentified". The day after my close hand sighting, all the newspapers did a front page on strange phenomenon over the skies to the point phone-lines were jammed.
It's worth bearing in mind aircraft pilots, military, police and trained individuals have seen UFO's and this has been going on for some time. Mckinnon is someone whose fascination and curiosity becamse so great he acted without due caution and was reckless. Now he has learned to be more dsicreet but, yes, highly probable he saw something that worried the Pentagon.

I find it very interesting that for 50 years PROFESSIONAL astronomers with very sophisticated equipment have searched the skies for signs of extraterrestial life and have found nothing conclusive so far with the possible exception of microbes (not yet verified) on Mars. Physicist Paul Davies' book "The Eerie Silence" is a must-read for anyone interested in the topic.

Many people (including myself) are not all that well-informed when it comes to atmospheric/astronomical phenomena. When you say "trained individuals" what kind of training are you talking about. For example, I am a trained weather spotter (Skywarn). One of the reasons that Skywarn insists upon training is that there are tornado look-alikes that can fool the untrained person, especially one who has never seen a tornado before. In years past part of the training consisted of showing slides of "lookalikes" and asking are these tornadoes or not. Believe me, there are some that can fool even an experienced spotter.

So personally, unless someone says that they are an astronomer I tend to take UFO reports with a grain of salt. Airline pilots are not astronomers. Since celestial navigation went out in the 1960's they have had no need to have this kind of training. Pilot "Sky Masterson" wrote an amusing short story about a supposed UFO encounter (a large square light in the sky) that turned out to be the moon framed by clouds. (Probably based on personal experience).

New Threads

Top Bottom