• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Game: Freehand draw something right now and then post it here

I'm currently in the middle of sprucing up one of my spare enclosure :D

Sure! I've got loads of pics of them but will try and keep the numbers reasonable lol

This is Kevin
51307611212_488528a6af.jpg

50112852971_bc93180a2d.jpg

Rupert under his basking lamp
50878685083_02a3e17928.jpg

Eddy's Halloween shot
30566012207_4ed6838604.jpg

Benny
16521689052_87655f31d8.jpg

JD
15900264304_31e5cb6316.jpg

JD trying to be the photographer

8538505377_96600961af.jpg

Some of my other past babies (3 of my 4 adults were from this clutch)
50950468213_36a26dfecb.jpg

12991638413_3b6ec05eac.jpg

10006045955_441a674aa2.jpg

9986896165_7c0f29f4f3.jpg
Thank you! She really liked it. She said that Kevin was the cutest. That he had (and I quote): "The most boopable snoot".

:innocent:

Yes it is. You can do different shapes...

But I spelled wrong. Labyrinth is not a maze
Labyrinthae were made in to honor the Sacred Bull

Not solid but I think that's right

:innocent:

Yes it is. You can do different shapes...

But I spelled wrong. Labyrinth is not a maze
Labyrinthae were made in to honor the Sacred Bull

Not solid but I think that's right
OMG this is so fun! I'm glad I'm using pencil. It's so hard to wrap my brain around the geometry of it. It's a good brain game.

Just start at the middle and work out. You can go either way. But it has to stay the same once you start being one way.

My most enjoyable February yet was borrowing a book fro the library, on how to draw Celtic knots. It was so much fun I wanted to steal the book, but I took it back. Those are drawn on graph paper.

Here's a lovely portrait that my daughter drew of a character from one of the stories she's writing. She's so talented!

269115014_613842863261026_3609710146086772399_n.jpg

So I've had my suspicions growing & growing these last few weeks about the nibbling and occasional strange sounds out near the car. And I was talking about it with the folks at home & mentioned the mice--apparently Dad's had mice in the deer-stand with him so I guess this is a good year for rodents to move in with people.

IMG_20220124_162824_2.jpg

Typically I put off dealing with it until the other night at the desk I got to thinking--maybe I should go take a look; maybe there really are mice in there. So when I opened the trunk I saw a cloud of feathers rolling out from where they got into a sleeping-bag to get the lining, and then saw a very fuzzy and very cute brown-gray flash of fur zip-zipping under the carpeting of the trunk down to where the spare tire and the breakdown tools are. Things went from Oh look, a mouse, to This car is infested with mice and they seem to like it here very quickly.
IMG_20220124_150333.jpg

So basically this happened. I don't drive very much and I have a very, very old Toyota sedan. All the car I really need--it's mostly for emergencies. It stays parked in a hedgerow most of the time & gets run maybe once or twice a week, tops, not very fast and for no more than maybe 5 or 10 miles. The last good road trip was a month ago and that was a hop over to Rhode Island.

I guess they hitchhike when I have the car running but when it's parked, these wild mice have set up a mouse neighborhood behind the back seat, in the trunk, under the cushions. I'm not sure how many there are, but there are lots. They've been hiding in the car and stashing their food in shoes and whatnot, living in an old coffee cup, sleeping on the front seat and pulling the feathers out of an old sleeping-bag and having a good time in general. They seem to be fairly cultured mice with a definite taste for the works of Dickens, but they have not yet dug into Agatha Christie.

They've started to become civilized and set up a mousey Survivor Island in there. They're living on and under the seats, inside the hollow parts of the body panels, and anywhere they can find a place. (I'm pretty sure someone gave birth in a coffee cup.) Anyway there are little collections of fluff all over the place where they built weird little featherbed-looking nests & seed hoards & all that.

They are not very social, but they love pipe-tobacco, old books, beans & lentils, camping out, keeping busy and relentlessly procreating. They remind me of a very certain "type" of homeschooling church family--good company if a trifle odd, but increasingly out of place in modern society. (If things were as they should be, I wouldn't have a problem with the mice--because the auto would be completely unnecessary.)

IMG_20220124_161905_2.jpg

They have been in my books not only readers but also as critics.

IMG_20220124_154456_2.jpg

As much as I love adorable woodland creatures I still had to put traps out, and I'm making the car as inhospitably boring as it can be--taking out all the nice things to hide in, all the boxes to make nests of and all the books & paper to nibble. I'll be putting out camphor and spearmint oil in case they are eco-friendly types & prefer natural solutions. The ones that escape the mousetraps are going to have to pack up & leave.

"And on a night like this!--"

IMG_20220124_150322_2.jpg

Fortunately for the car and everything in it, unfortunately for the mice, three of them got caught in Victor mouse-traps. They died as they lived--dry, warm, with full bellies, in the act of destroying a secondhand automobile.

I don't like killing mice and I don't like making animals go to waste so I ended up taking the dead mice & putting them over the side of the hill. I'd seen a red fox in the neighborhood the night before, and they're very good scavengers (In addition to being cute.) He looked like the snow-plow had scared him but other than that he was doing fine running through everyone's backyard and generally being a cool fox. So I put the casualties out on the back slope. Nature will ensure that nothing is wasted. As soon as I can evict or trap all the mice I will mouseproof the car completely.

IMG_20220124_164742_2.jpg

They seem to be fairly cultured mice with a definite taste for the works of Dickens, but they have not yet dug into Agatha Christie.

Maybe they are slow readers..er..nibblers?

That is a wonderful story! And I love your illustrations! I hope you will develop this further.

Maybe they are slow readers..er..nibblers?

That is a wonderful story! And I love your illustrations! I hope you will develop this further.

Well--There are definitely a lot of mice in the car and I do have to remove all of them. No reason to get mad though; they're just trying to get by as well. It's cold out.

Unfortunately since there are so many of them the only thing I can do is draw foolish pictures of them and plot their removal &/or demise.

Someone told me to put a live cat in there for a few hours and that would scare them away. One, I drove their new home in Connecticut traffic with the throttle wide open & didn't scare them so these mice have true grit and fear nothing. Two, the easiest of the neighbors' cats to catch, Ludwig von Butternut-Squashington III, is not any good as a mouser. (Yes that's his real name. Sad.) He is a pumpkin-orange Maine Coon of the Instagram-worthy "chonk" figure, grossly overweight, and he has a lazy indolent temper like a greasy neckbeard trapped in a cat body. He replies only to food, hisses at anybody except the chosen, literally bites the hand that feeds him, and the only way he'd eat a mouse is if I canned it, chopped it up into bite-size pieces, warmed it up in the microwave, and served it to him in a bowl.

I think if I locked him in the car with the mice they'd probably have him treed... which would be hilarious to watch but even I don't hate that cat that much. It's not his fault that humans robbed him of his claws, his testicles, and his dignity. Yet he will never awake the wildcat within--not while he can sleep on the steam-radiator and try to bite people. He has succumbed to the vice of civilization: that of enjoying his captive state. He has sold the savage birthright for the proverbial mess of pottage and the right to crap in a box and sleep on the dining-room radiator. His last wild vestiges were his "lion cut" hairdo where he was shaved to look like--not a lion--but a poodle-dog.

IMG_20220124_193421_2.jpg

The other concern is the mice burning the car to the ground. Not that they're consciously arsonists, they're just fond of biting electric wires. Also they are hiding food and other flammable things in various parts of the machinery. I found maple seeds piled on top of the engine block well soaked in motor-oil so they've been there awhile. With the air cleaner, exhaust, and other hardware out in the open it'd be really easy for them to start putting food & nests in the plumbing, and that old car has a tendency to backfire tremendously (flame and all) if it's been sitting awhile. Like it has.

I don't want mice hiding flammable things in a hot and leaky exhaust-pipe that runs underneath a 10-gallon gasoline tank. That is either going to be a mouse getting launched out of there, or the car burning up, or something stalling out, or the catalytic converter getting ruined, or whatever.

IMG_20220124_192947_2.jpg

Maybe my life really is that boring? Or maybe I'm that easily amused. But on the serious side thanks--I don't draw, really, and never much bothered. I think eventually I'm going to start trying to get better at it.

@Gerontius, perhaps you just need to train the mice to do engineblock cookery. You could have a hot lunch waiting for you when you arrive at your destination! Haha!

Sir Butterbutt (Ludwig von Butternut-Squashington III,) reminds me of my old cat Tyrone. Big, long haired, unfriendly and orange. But unlike your entitled friend he was a very good mouser. My basset hound was also a stellar mouser. Bob was so clumbsy I could never figure out how he did it. But perhaps he looked so goofy the mice failed to take him seriously?

New Threads

Top Bottom