• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Furries

Do you mean "furry" animal characters or the people who enjoy dressing up as them? I like various "furry" animal characters from cartoons and comics and such; I wouldn't go as far as to say that I "love" it, but I do find the whole "furry" subculture kind of interesting. Probably at least some of the people involved with it are aspies.

Last edited:
I'm not into furries but I used to know a girl at school (she exhibited some strong Asperger's traits but wasn't diagnosed as far as I knew) who was obsessed with anime and furries. She was always drawing them and was actually pretty good at it.

I know a few Aspies who also quite like the cuddliness of furries and furry creatures...

So why do you think some Aspies like furries?

I know a few Aspies who also quite like the cuddliness of furries and furry creatures...

So why do you think some Aspies like furries?

Well, I don't really know much about the "furry" subculture, but I have a theory that some people in that group who are on the spectrum are a little more comfortable with social interaction when they can adopt a non-human persona.

Well, if that's the way some Aspies feel, it reminds me of somebody like Dr Grandin saying Aspies are more comfortable with animals than other human beings, or something like that. Now... if the furry subculture helps socializing, it should help but not totally replace real socializing effort, imo.

Here's an interview with Usagi Yojimbo creator Stan Sakai at a furry con in Australia last year:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hate to say it but I am one. I discovered the phenomenon through my own imagination long before I even knew what it was or that it existed. That's not something that I share with just anybody though and it's not a core obsession of mine. Just something I realized about myself when I found out about it. It's one of those 'geek' interests that aspies are more likely to be drawn to and I'm not surprised at all at the responses in this thread.

I'd go as far as to say that I'd attend a convention as one just for fun, provided I can hide my face like most of them do or at least make myself very vague looking and hard to pick out from a crowd.

Last edited:
I have had a furry alter ego since I was about ten years old, actually several of them. Almost all of them have been wolves, and I have always felt kind of related to dogs and wolves anyway. My own pets have been my best friends ever since I was a kid, even though I have siblings. I used to draw furry comics for years, then write some role playing and nowadays I mainly just draw them. It has helped me a lot in social situations even though I don't really tell people about the alter egos.

I'm a furry, just got into the fandom recently, my fursona is a bat. I just started drawing anthro art after a long time not drawing anything at all, I enjoy it so much more than when I drew humans.

I gave the furry fandom an honest try (did some artwork, tried really hard to make a fursona) but in the end I discovered that it's not really my style. As far as geeky hobbies go, I'm much more of an anime enthusiast, and I don't think that'll ever change.

But even though I'm not a furry myself, I still feel respectful and sympathetic towards people who are, because anime fans like me tend to get flak for our hobbies and passions too.

I got into the fandom relatively recently, like maybe a year ago, but I've loved anthro characters probably ever since I saw the Khajiit in the Elder Scrolls series.

Furry actually helped me a lot, I was trying to reinvent myself and be a better person, but I was having trouble letting go of the person I was. Now, one of my fursonas has taken over that bad, old personality and that made way for a newer, better, nicer me :) Sort of like that fursona absorbed all the Mr. Hyde and left the Dr. Jekyll behind. Might not make much sense to others but it does to me with all my fancy identity disorders.

I'm a pegasister too, for a while the MLP fandom was very supportive and a community for me, I still like it but haven't been involved in the fandom for a while

I'm a pegasister too, for a while the MLP fandom was very supportive and a community for me, I still like it but haven't been involved in the fandom for a while
I'm a bit of a pegasister too. :) I've watched the first season several times (and half of the second season once) but I don't have much of a desire to keep up with the show anymore. However, I feel that I could get back into someday when I'm in the mood for it. Fluttershy is best pony

New Threads

Top Bottom