• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

friendship snafus

paloftoon

V.I.P Member
I met an acquaintance and asked him a question that kind of sounded strange to him apparently. I asked him what he thought of a joke I posted, and he kept trying to skirt the issue. He still hasn't answered me and probably won't is my gut. His response was that he can relate to socially awkward people and that I am cool. He said he didn't look at the joke yet, but he will get to it.

If he still leaves me hanging for awhile, maybe like 2 weeks or more, after a deep conversation we had, I will just delete him off of my (personal) FB account, but not block him.

My reasoning for asking him about the joke was because I wanted to see if he thought it was dumb, or if it was too nerdy to be cool.

I think I misjudged him as a person, but that happens. I just realized that since I wasn't that close, asking that kind of question is awkward now. His response is actually deceptively heartless like he does care, but he really does not. It's too easy to make social cues mistakes that aren't a big deal, but people will make a big deal about it anyway autistic or not.

When people say that they will answer a question and they don't. . .When people may talk funny to you and it's "okay" but if you talk kinda funny to them, it's "not okay" but they just want to push you away.

Friendship is not marriage, but people make it out to be sometimes.

Many people, especially guys, don't like drama in general. Drama is not necessarily bad, but it's usually not funny when you're the one dealing with whatever.

All these actions or lack of actions I mention create undependability and untrustworthiness.

I get the lack of initiation and lack of communication if people are busy or just don't want to be (closer) friends or such, but if I lose interest in communication, and then you ask me to communicate and you don't reciprocate or say you can't after the fact, do you think I want to keep communicating?

It's easy for people to say just let it go, but when it affects my time and energy so much, I need to find a different way to move on, because letting it go just doesn't cut it period. Sometimes you really need to try to think about yourself before others.

Technology has done a lot of great things for all of us, but it's definitely also removed some of the empathy that people don't get or what to get. It's not that you can't learn how to be empathetic through the computer, but it's a much more daunting task to do so.

New Threads

Top Bottom