• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

For NT ladies (preferably with AS/ASD guy)

Maybe taking some space for yourself would be good and let both of you see what you really want. I can agree with onlything too. Having come from a dysfunctional family myself and you as well sure don't want that for your son. I know I struggled some starting out with husband to know what was 'good' or acceptable due to not seeing it growing up.

I hope you know we are all here to support you and understand it isn't easy.

You deserve to be happy. If you don't believe it, then think about your child. Don't they deserve to be happy? They won't if it keeps up. Your family is dysfunctional and as a child from a dysfunctional family like yours just with swapped roles I can tell you that it leaves scars.

You need to leave not only for your own sanity but for the good of your real family. Because, though it's sad to say so, she doesn't deserve to be accounted as such.

Chance, I asked my NT wife and her best friend about the "breakfast incident" and they both said the same thing... "she's crazy". They did ask some questions like:
1) Was she expecting him to clean up the kitchen?
2) Was she expecting him to offer to make breakfast?
3) She may thought "waffles and eggs make more of a mess and I already have to clean up from last night"

When I said, "maybe she wanted him to say what SHE wanted for breakfast... in other words, read her mind", they said that sounded about right. Of course, since we can't read minds, that sets you up for an impossible task. And then there is: the even if you guess right, our of sheer luck, she'll just yell anyway, because she is mad about having to clean up the party mess and is taking it out on you.

Basically, no matter which way you look at it, they (wife and friend) agree... it's a no-win situation for you.

Thank you... no she won't get counceling. She says I'm the only one needing a "shrink." I do have a counselor and we talk every Wednesday.

My problem is I'm stuck. He is telling me I truly need to move on, but states he is very against divorce... That conflicts and makes no logic in my head.

Plus I know how it hurts to feel unwanted and even abandoned so I just don't want to pass that on, or maybe worse I fear the guilt that might replace any freedom I seek.

I have never left anyone, they leave me, which is what I wish she would do, but I swear at times I think she loves this chaos and turmoil.
Have you suggested going to counseling together? It seems to me you need an objective third party to see what's really going on there. If she won't do that then she really has zero interest in fixing the relationship.
If that's the case then surely someone has to leave don't they?
Have you considered another counselor? I can't understand why he would be telling you to leave...... but then saying he doesn't approve of divorce. Not that you need his approval of course.
Have any of your other relationships gone down a similar path or is she the only one who has behaved this way?
What about her sister? Is she married? If so do you see any similarities in her relationship?
Sorry for all the questions but just trying to help you understand what you're dealing with. :)

Keigan I think you must have fallen asleep or choked on your popcorn...
I'm spilling my guts all over the place here... : )

I need to lighten this up... it's starting to look as bad as the storm clouds outside.
I’ve been busy outside all day so i’ll catch up later.

Chance, I just wanted to tell you how brave it was for you to express all that personal and upsetting information. I felt that was a really good sign and that you were moving in the right direction. And so when your latest post talked of that plan to transfer very soon, and a separation, I think you could be over that hump and with no turning back. I feel it seems like a great plan, based on your specific situation. Thanks to Mia for that suggestion. We are wishing you the best!

Wife: What do you want for breakfast?
Me: I want waffles! : ) (we found the GF frozen waffles that are excellent)
Wife: Waffles? (in a very abrupt voice)
Wife? I don't want waffles
Me: What do you want?
Wife: Anything but waffles...
Me: Eggs?
Wife: Did I say I wanted eggs, very rudely?

Yes, I’m a strong man.

That last statement from your wife is extremely disrespectful behavior towards yourself, but there is more to this story....

In my opinion, and combined with many of your other posts - she is looking for you to lead and be strong and she is frustrated that you don’t.

In the quoted conversation she asked you to make a decision, you did, then she tested your decision by questioning and you gave in by backing down on your decision, then you tried to solve her needs and she got frustrated and lashed out.

So the next time she asks you to make a decision, collect enough information to make a well informed decision, decide, stick to the decision. If there is resistance then you did not collect enough information to make the decision. Making the decision is your role and responsibility.

In my experience, a strong woman needs a very strong man that she can respect - otherwise stories very similar to yours.

Also, a word of caution, this does not correct over night - long process where you have to establish yourself in the relationship.

Chance, your situation sounds really bad. What you describe is not a marriage. It's a nightmare and unhealthy for you and your child. If she won't go to counseling and continues to abuse you in this fashion, then I think you should move on with your life.

About your response to me, you are not a liar! Many people cannot recall what happens during a shutdown/meltdown. That is normal for a shutdown/meltdown, as far as I know and have seen. What I try to do is to prevent those episodes from ever occurring. If I sense my nephew is getting stressed out, I change the location/scenario/situation to help him deal with stress. He is largely nonverbal so I have to use a lot of intuition and observation to figure out what is going on with him. I pretty well know his stimming behaviors so when I see those starting to happen or increase, I change his environment to something calmer/quieter/darker/whatever works.

About mindblindness - I learned about that theory on this website years ago. I don't think it pertains to inability to read facial expressions or to pick up on subtle language or body cues or other problems with autistics' efforts to comply with NTs' forms of "communication". I think it pertains to a lack of appreciation for or realization that all other people have their own feelings, needs, thoughts, and, I guess, personae, for lack of a better term. It pertains to empathy, I think. I don't want to get into that because it may provoke a firestorm of angry responses.

It doesn't matter that you aren't Mr. Social Butterfly. Your wife shouldn't care, either, because that is just who you are and how you are and presumably she knew that before you married. Good marriages are based on honesty, acceptance, understanding, compromise, equality and that nebulous thing called love, not necessarily in that order.

Thank you very much... : )

My empathy thing is a messed up nightmare.
I undertand they say we don't have it and its because I don't know how to show it, just like I don't know how to show romance, or read expressions... The horrible part is I have more than plenty, maybe too much... Its like I can feel other peoples pain, but it has no where to go but inside me and I don't know how to get rid of it, or express it even in print actually. It's like being tied to a torture wheel of anguish. I can display very real emotions but they are not the right emotions for the situation mostly...

For instance... Lets say I get very upset or angry... I don't scream and yell, I start uncontrollably shaking and crying, then I am embarrassed beyond words. So, I try very hard to not get upset, because that is how I very wrongly handle that situation and I have no control... It just happens. I try so hard to hold it back but when I do it makes it worse.

I have decided that I can and will call for a formal separation. Its the fairest and least hurtful thing I can do and it gives both of us some space and time to think. It won't leave her high and dry and I can be the one to move out. I know what I want... I want out, but I cant just do this spur of the moment and create total chaos... I love who she was and I just respect that still. I am very sad that I will most likely break my promise, but it will be okay. Its toxic and not worth it.

Again thank you very much. : )

Good luck chance, hope you stay around.

Are you kidding? I will just mess up some where else. I do need to get out of my head and off the computer and go fix my life... So I may not be around as much for a while. I have to get this done. But I will still be around. This is the only place that makes sense to me... Thank you!

Okay lets do a simple thing that just happened a couple hours ago... Its no huge deal, I just don't understand it.

I've read loads of your posts chance. I fim

What did I do wrong? This was our first conversation of the day, and probably our last. She's pissed and I don't know why, or what to do?

I had waffles and walked out. Now she is in there slamming dishes around cleaning up after some people who were here last night that she invited over. Griping that she shouldn't have to do all the cleaning...
She doesn't... She probably doesn't even do half. I help clean all the time, plus I take care of property and vehicles and work and pay every bill and do most the grocery shopping...

However, I don't think it is my problem to clean up her friends who didn't even acknowledge me in my own house... I feel like a leper in my own home. I have been staying at our real house but its a nightmare under full remodel... This house I am in now is my rent house, but we are in it while we repair our real house that got water damage and it developed black mold all in it. Insurance did not pay this claim by the way - tricky devils and the fine print. See I just derailed and I caught myself... geez.

It's a nightmare but I'm heading back there because she is seeming to make it seem I am not welcome here.
Maybe a little helpful, and then again I may be hanging myself here...

I got lots of stuff but I'm not going to go very deep right now... I feel a little odd to be doing this... I can crash it in a buried reply on a post, but man to stick my neck out and kind of spill my guts on a dedicated post... Not real fun.
Thank you... no she won't get counceling. She says I'm the only one needing a "shrink." I do have a counselor and we talk every Wednesday.

My problem is I'm stuck. He is telling me I truly need to move on, but states he is very against divorce... That conflicts and makes no logic in my head.

Plus I know how it hurts to feel unwanted and even abandoned so I just don't want to pass that on, or maybe worse I fear the guilt that might replace any freedom I seek.

I have never left anyone, they leave me, which is what I wish she would do, but I swear at times I think she loves this chaos and turmoil.

Wow. It takes some courage to Come here and lay his whole life out like this. Much respect from me brother. I would never had the courage.

It's the guilt that gets us, but you do need to be at peace with yourself. Especially in your home. Either of them. There a term here in the UK they call it gas lighting. I'm not sure if it's known in other countries I'm afraid.

My gf works in a domestic abuse centre. And chats to me about the types of things that 'perps' do.

Your wife is flat out 100% perp. (Perpetrators)

There's no doubt about it.

I got trapped. It was a living hell. Split house hold, the house got repod. Lost jobs, split 2 families. Nightmare.

All cause I was sooo switched into auto and survival mode. In fact. Your experience sounded like mine, only I was not getting abused like this. I just got cheated on, with my boss. So I lost the home and family, car on drive, my my job (obviously) and nowboy lives with his mother.

At the time and shortly after I have never been so lost and aimless. I was in zombie state again.

But here I am almost 10 years later. And me and the ex get in really well. Good joint parents. She's married to a decent lad.

I have met the woman for me. Life is so different. We're all happy. I'm only now finding out I'm on the spectrum.

Things are falling into place. Peace, routine and time.

You got to get it out of her, one way or another. Find out her intentions?

Or leave her. Call it out. Given her time to think. Change. Explain herself properly. Or leave her.

You don't need her approval. Be strong when the time is right chance.

Your going through it harder than I did.
But I deffo know what your going through. You explained my life at that period. (Without the gas lighting)

Good luck my friend. I'm here to chat..anytime you need it

Jamie

Wishing you all the very best Chance. I think you've made a very brave decision and it's probably not going to be easy to follow through but ultimately essential for your wellbeing. :-*

Chance.
Ok answers in order.
Walk away and leave you to it.
No advice. As above..Leave you to it
ASD is real and dont I know it!
No, You can't change, and won't. The NT is part of this equation and has to blend in with you. Fact
ps: always check out the expiration dates on goods currently in the fridge before you answer...frozen goods do NOT apply!
Pps: Sorry Keigan you only got a mouthful of popcorn!

Actually I revoke my statement that you can't change. You can but must want to and over time when we show you the response from us when you do, to equate pleasure from your stand point for doing the silly , pointless excercises that we need you to do but ib yiur mind mean nothing.
Open the door for me, pour wine into a wine glass, Hug me and kiss me when we meet each other....Yup, know some of you see this as pointless. But to me, crucial.
Likewise I will forfeit some things for you..

Okay lets do a simple thing that just happened a couple hours ago... Its no huge deal, I just don't understand it.

What did I do wrong? This was our first conversation of the day, and probably our last. She's pissed and I don't know why, or what to do?

I had waffles and walked out. Now she is in there slamming dishes around cleaning up after some people who were here last night that she invited over. Griping that she shouldn't have to do all the cleaning...
She doesn't... She probably doesn't even do half. I help clean all the time, plus I take care of property and vehicles and work and pay every bill and do most the grocery shopping...

However, I don't think it is my problem to clean up her friends who didn't even acknowledge me in my own house... I feel like a leper in my own home. I have been staying at our real house but its a nightmare under full remodel... This house I am in now is my rent house, but we are in it while we repair our real house that got water damage and it developed black mold all in it. Insurance did not pay this claim by the way - tricky devils and the fine print. See I just derailed and I caught myself... geez.

It's a nightmare but I'm heading back there because she is seeming to make it seem I am not welcome here.
Maybe a little helpful, and then again I may be hanging myself here...

I got lots of stuff but I'm not going to go very deep right now... I feel a little odd to be doing this... I can crash it in a buried reply on a post, but man to stick my neck out and kind of spill my guts on a dedicated post... Not real fun.
There's nothing you can really do at this point. Hate is a strong word but if someone uses it it pretty much means they are offended you are even alive. When you're in love everything someone does is enchanting or beautiful but if you hate someone you'll be annoyed of they even just sneeze.

New Threads

Top Bottom