• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Foods you like, but can't eat due to the colour

Suzanne

V.I.P Member
I like beetroot, but due to the colour run, unable to eat. As soon as they touch some other food, immediately the horrible reddish, pink stain appears and makes it hard to continue.

I don't like the fact that cauliflower is white, so I don't buy it very often. I think it's very tasty though.

Don't like Brussel sprouts when they are cooked because they have a yucky smell, and l don't like their color when cooked, and l don't like their size however l love cabbage which is quite similar. I love red cabbage when cooked.

I love beets, but yes to the way they just take over the color palate on my plate can cause me to think really? Can't you just keep to yourself like all the things on my plate. Like they are the food bullies of the vegetables. That's when l get to the weird thing of food separation, like l am saying attention beets, this is a message from upstairs, you are being kept to the fourth quadrant of my plate, don't irritate me by slumming around.

Last edited:
Don't ever fry eggs in a pan where cabbage was sauteed. Don't put cabbage in with your scrambled eggs. It will never end well. I assure you of this.

(It's where the green eggs, from green eggs and ham came from.)

Oh yes. I cannot stand to see one food contaminate another. Whether based on color or any other consideration.

Funny to look back and recall the comfort I felt each time my mother fed us those old Swanson tv dinners. Neatly separating the entrees and desserts. Though at times I always got annoyed when something like "apple crisp" boiled over into the potatoes or a meat.

Probably why I loathe things like "shepherd's pie". Yet I love tacos. Go figure.

Yeah, beets are so opaque in color...and can so easily "contaminate" other foods both visually and in terms of how they may taste. :eek:

I used to be like this a lot as a child well into adulthood. I would separate everything on my plate to avoid color/taste cross contamination. And also eat every item separately starting with the less liked and proceeding to end my meals with the most liked item. Then at some point I started to understand the pleasure of mixing some textures and tastes. And from an ecological / sustainable / economical mindset I became able to eat things with a certain a bit too ripe or oxidated color like browned apple or avocado with a certain degree of brown / black spotting. It's a matter of rational thinking over feelings I guess.
But my daughter is sooo like that. I need to serve her every item in different dishes, which she then eats with different forks, and she won't tolerate anything brown or black in her food (chocolate is the exception), nor color / taste contamination from an item to another one. Anything that spills is her worst enemy. If an avocado doesn't have an even color she will only eat the light green part and won't touch the dark green one. Browning from oxidation? No thanks. Never ever. Any spots in food that diverge from the main color will be discarded. It definitely makes for a lot of waste and judgemental stares and comments from our family members (who don't know we are on the spectrum yet) but I'm so glad I understand from my personal experience how her food appreciation works and to be able to respect her and accompany her in this. I really wish I had been respected like this as a kid instead of forced to eat until I throw up and locked into my room with my plate until it was all finished. I mean, my mother didn't do it out of cruelty. She was just concerned with my health and nutriments intake but yeah, that wasn't really fun (XoX)/

This hasn't been something that has concerned me,
the color of food. It's the flavor, smell, or texture
that are important.

Don't like Brussel sprouts when they are cooked because they have a yucky smell, and l don't like their color when cooked, and l don't like their size however l love cabbage which is quite similar. I love red cabbage when cooked.

I love beets, but yes to the way they just take over the color palate on my plate can cause me to think really? Can't you just keep to yourself like all the things on my plate. Like they are the food bullies of the vegetables. That's when l get to the weird thing o,f food separation, like l am saying attention beets, this is a message from upstairs, you are being kept to fourth quadrant of my plate, don't irritate me by slumming around.

Oh geez, brussel sprouts are the worst.

There's a rule in my house (set by me) which is that if anyone is going to be cooking those things, they must warn me in advance.

That way, I can head for the hills before the stench takes over the house and rules it with an iron fist for an hour or so.

Oh geez, brussel sprouts are the worst.

There's a rule in my house (set by me) which is that if anyone is going to be cooking those things, they must warn me in advance.

That way, I can head for the hills before the stench takes over the house and rules it with an iron fist for an hour or so.
Brussels sprouts have always been my absolute favorite food, even as a child haha I adore the taste, the texture and the smell of them. But I'm the kind of person who loves with a capital L the smell of fermented food so (*3*)/

Last edited:
I love Brussels sprouts! I go out of my way to find and buy them.

Colour of food has never been an big issue, with me, the taste, smell and texture are very important. I can't tolerate certain textures, eggs, for example. Having said that, I don't like the way beetroot tends to 'contaminate' everything it touches and rarely eat it.

One thing I don't like is vinegar. It totally overwhelms and destroys the flavour of anything it comes into contact with. Anything preserved in vinegar just tastes of... vinegar. I'm not keen on ketchup, either, except on very specific foods.

I don't mind foods touching each other, unless it's something that's going to 'contaminate' and clash with other foods. Beetroot would indeed be an example of such a food. Other food such as mixed vegetables of varying colours are perfectly ok to touch each other.

I was once at someone's house for dinner, and they had two sauces that were unfamiliar to me. The guy started to put some on my plate, one overlapping the other, until I shouted NOOOO! I think the problem was that I needed to try them on their own before having them on my food. My partner was completely ok with it, though.

Somewhat offtopic: This thread for some reason reminds me of something I saw recently. Enjoy:

On the flip side, if I'm at a salad bar, OMG if I see pickled beets or those baby corns, oh man, you know I'm practically taking the entire dish. Those are my favorite things at a buffet!

And I adore brussels sprouts. I think they're my favorite brassica. Sautee them with real butter, a little pepper, and some of that crunchy Himilayan salt. Oh wow! Have you ever grown them? The plant is a trip! There's this really fat stalk, with a spiral of tiny little brussels sprouts climbing up around it. It's lots of fun.

And flavor contamination is always welcome at breakfast! The minute the syrup and melty butter from my pancakes runs over to my sausages, I know it's about to be a very good day.

I like beetroot, but due to the colour run, unable to eat. As soon as they touch some other food, immediately the horrible reddish, pink stain appears and makes
Alfredo sauce. Tastes nice but I can't stand the color and texture. Also, wet noodles. Not necessarily because of color but texture.

Why, oh why, on God's green earth, do grits have to look like something that you cut and drain out of a sebaecious cyst?!

Color of food is usually not an issue for me. Texture and smell are.

But I love Brussels sprouts lmao

And yeah, I don’t like my foods to touch/contaminate each other either, especially if it’s things that have flavors that don’t work well together. People always give me weird looks for separating things on my plate.

I don’t like vinegar on most things (except for potato chips, and in certain condiments/marinades) and the smell makes me nauseous.

Color of food is rarely much of an issue for me, except when it comes to canned tuna — The smell, alone is enough for me to be want to vomit. Bizarrely I like and enjoy tuna steak AND Peas and beans. But that’s a combo of color, smell and texture. And a weird phobia Related to them all. And when I was younger I couldn’t stand anything touching each other. I’m ok with it now.

Color of food is rarely much of an issue for me, except when it comes to canned tuna — The smell, alone is enough for me to be want to vomit.

If the smell of canned tuna makes you want to vomit, this would make you run away screaming and vomit. Behold, the Surströmming! :eek: Swedish canned fish. Herring. They call it food, I call it a biological weapon of mass destruction.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom