• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Food

JMcCauley

I'd like to know how common it is among aspies to be "wierd about food."

I always thought I was just being closed minded, but now it makes more sense.
I can't stand sauces, maybe ketchup and bbq sauce in certain situations. I hate cold food that should be hot, hot drinks, drinks that are too cold, and anything you might call a casserole.
I like dry foods, salt, things that taste salty and flavourful or sweet, but never bitter or sour.

And food CANNOT touch.

I have gotten upset when looking at the juice aisle. Say I want mango, or orange juice flavor in a popular brand only to find they have mango-orange combined flavor, and I get angry. How could they have a mixed flavor and not the original flavors? Why do they have to mix two and three fruits to create a juice beverage. I can sort of understand if they add filler juices to an unusual flavor, like a lot of them have a neutral juice added, I imagine to enhance the drinkability of the main flavor, which might taste awful on its own, for example 100% cherry juice is pretty awful, but having two competing flavors, like pineapple and grape in one drink is crazy.

I've always been more tolerant of luke-warm beverages than most people. I would just as soon drink most things at room temperature, but am ok with ice now, just because it has gotten to be normal. I always liked icees though, the texture was fun for me. If I get a coffee at McDonald's I have on occasion walked around with it for almost an hour before drinking it. It's too hot.

I like sauces, but maybe because I don't like dry food. Food touching doesn't seem like a big deal. A sandwich would be considered food touching, and that seems normal. The casserole thing probably makes sense. Maybe you don't like them because of the moisture, but I've always been a little nervous when looking at a casserole made by someone I don't know. I mean, who knows what is in that. ;)

I cannot cope with doing taster thing. So like, when I am asked to try something randomly, I can't, because it feels foreign and that makes me feel sick.

Food has to feel right in my mouth. Very sensitive to flavours.

I can't stand sauces, maybe ketchup and bbq sauce in certain situations. I hate cold food that should be hot, hot drinks, drinks that are too cold, and anything you might call a casserole.
I like dry foods, salt, things that taste salty and flavourful or sweet, but never bitter or sour.

And food CANNOT touch.

I think it is common, yes. Sensory issues are common in apies and taste is a sense, so...yeah. I've always had issues but it wasn't until my family and me realized i'm probably an aspie that i realized i wasn't just being stubborn or weird or something, that i really can't help it. The texture of food is what bothers me most - meat, fruit, veggies, all of that bothers me. Meat is so-so, it depends on the quality of the meat and how well it was cooked. And when i say 'bothers' it means i literally can't swallow it without gagging horribly. Fruit i won't willingly touch unless its in smoothie form for the same reason, and the closest i get with veggies is potatoes in any form and veggies in soup and that's it.

I hate food touching as well. I also don't like anything but meat and cheese on sandwiches - i hate hate hate having any sort of sauce on them or veggies. Ketchup or barbeque sauce if its turkey or chicken, sure, but nothing weird like they put on fast food sandwiches. I'm also sensitive to the termperature - hot or cold - to the point my family used to tease me that my food has to be almost cold before i'll eat it, just cause i'm that sensitive to its temperature.

I think it is common, yes. Sensory issues are common in apies and taste is a sense, so...yeah. I've always had issues but it wasn't until my family and me realized i'm probably an aspie that i realized i wasn't just being stubborn or weird or something, that i really can't help it. The texture of food is what bothers me most - meat, fruit, veggies, all of that bothers me. Meat is so-so, it depends on the quality of the meat and how well it was cooked. And when i say 'bothers' it means i literally can't swallow it without gagging horribly. Fruit i won't willingly touch unless its in smoothie form for the same reason, and the closest i get with veggies is potatoes in any form and veggies in soup and that's it.

I hate food touching as well. I also don't like anything but meat and cheese on sandwiches - i hate hate hate having any sort of sauce on them or veggies. Ketchup or barbeque sauce if its turkey or chicken, sure, but nothing weird like they put on fast food sandwiches. I'm also sensitive to the termperature - hot or cold - to the point my family used to tease me that my food has to be almost cold before i'll eat it, just cause i'm that sensitive to its temperature.
I also eat only meat and cheese on my sanswitches, and I really don't like crust, but I deal with it. I also hate the crust on pop tarts.

I'm pretty picky about textures when it comes to foods, but not as much as I used to be. I don't like things like lettuce on hamburgers or chunks of tomato in spaghetti sauce. As far as flavor goes, though, I'm pretty adventurous.

I also eat only meat and cheese on my sanswitches, and I really don't like crust, but I deal with it. I also hate the crust on pop tarts.

Me too! I always eat everything but the crust be it on sandwiches, poptarts, pizza, etc. On sandwiches i will sometimes but not often.

And food CANNOT touch.

I also like my food dry, but, I do enjoy a good sauce at times when required.

I cannot stand:
  • Shrimp (How can people eat these rubbery sea-roaches?)
  • Mushrooms (No thanks)
  • Fish (In general)
  • Mayonnaise (No!)

I also like my food dry, but, I do enjoy a good sauce at times when required.

I cannot stand:
  • Shrimp (How can people eat these rubbery sea-roaches?)
  • Mushrooms (No thanks)
  • Fish (In general)
  • Mayonnaise (No!)
Poor mushrooms. I'm a fan, and like to study them, but I don't live in an area with a variety anymore. After I discovered amanita muscaria (poisonous hallucinogenic) mushrooms were legal to purchase (as opposed to psilocybin) I tried some, and had a really bad experience, and it caused me to hate all mushrooms for about 6 months. Another one, Maitake, is a food mushroom known to lower blood sugar levels, and it did lower mine a lot lower than it should have been, since I didn't have high blood sugar in the first place. Mushrooms can be scary, but I always hold out hope for them. Fungus is fun.

Not sure what it is about Mayo, like what is it even made of and what goes on in there. I can eat it right after the bottle is open, after it goes in the fridge I get more and more distrustful of it.

I can be fussy about food, and there are certain things I won't touch such as eggs or tomatoes, offal and the fat or grizzle on meat. I like spicy foods such as curries or ripe cheese. I don't have a problem with food touching, as long as the flavours don't clash.

Poor mushrooms. I'm a fan, and like to study them, but I don't live in an area with a variety anymore. After I discovered amanita muscaria (poisonous hallucinogenic) mushrooms were legal to purchase (as opposed to psilocybin) I tried some, and had a really bad experience, and it caused me to hate all mushrooms for about 6 months. Another one, Maitake, is a food mushroom known to lower blood sugar levels, and it did lower mine a lot lower than it should have been, since I didn't have high blood sugar in the first place. Mushrooms can be scary, but I always hold out hope for them. Fungus is fun.

Not sure what it is about Mayo, like what is it even made of and what goes on in there. I can eat it right after the bottle is open, after it goes in the fridge I get more and more distrustful of it.

I like the idea of mushrooms and what they look like-- I just do not fancy their taste or texture.

But, for some odd reason, I loved the texture and taste of psilocybin mushrooms I have taken in the past. They were complete dehydrated, dry and tasted like earth/soil.

Mayonnaise: I believe it is a concoction make from a reaction between egg, lemon juice (citric acid) and vinegar. In any case, it has always disturbed me.

Lobster-- A giant bug from the sea, complete with fish stink
Coffee-- Burnt, bitter, no-fun hot beverage that makes people cranky if they don't get it
Wine/beer-- Tastes like floor cleaner smells
Clams, oysters, mussels-- Fishy gum
Ricotta cheese-- It's gloppy & always in stealth mode, lurking in lagasne & manicotti
Calamari-- GAACK!!
Steak-- Like a loafer oozing aromatic juices
Three Bean Salad-- Mushy sections of beans embalmed in a clear fluid
Seafood Cocktail-- Jar of low-tide pieces 'n parts of sea creatures, suspended in a tomato-y primordial ooze
Ensure-- Nutritional cross between a barium swallow and raw cement
Ice cream-- It's COLD
Chocolate cake with chocolate frosting-- Too dark-tasting (can't explain)
Crusts on bread and pies-- Boring, annoying
Cake with any sort of liquor-- Like someone poured floor cleaner on perfectly good cake

people like to cook for me because I'm one of the most grateful eaters you'll ever meet. :D I like and try everything - and even if I don't really like something I can still get myself to eat it. I don't know about any dish that I sincerely find disgusting. There are only things "I don't prefer to eat". But the older I get (18 and counting) the more I learn to appreciate new types of food.

...And despite all this, I'm still way too skinny. So I guess me enjoying food is only a good thing. ;)

Lobster-- A giant bug from the sea, complete with fish stink
Coffee-- Burnt, bitter, no-fun hot beverage that makes people cranky if they don't get it
Wine/beer-- Tastes like floor cleaner smells
Clams, oysters, mussels-- Fishy gum
Ricotta cheese-- It's gloppy & always in stealth mode, lurking in lagasne & manicotti
Calamari-- GAACK!!
Steak-- Like a loafer oozing aromatic juices
Three Bean Salad-- Mushy sections of beans embalmed in a clear fluid
Seafood Cocktail-- Jar of low-tide pieces 'n parts of sea creatures, suspended in a tomato-y primordial ooze
Ensure-- Nutritional cross between a barium swallow and raw cement
Ice cream-- It's COLD
Chocolate cake with chocolate frosting-- Too dark-tasting (can't explain)
Crusts on bread and pies-- Boring, annoying
Cake with any sort of liquor-- Like someone poured floor cleaner on perfectly good cake

Your descriptions are wonderful and made me LOL! :wink:

I don't like most fruits, especially peaches. The smell of peaches makes me gag. Food on my plate must be placed in specific areas of the plate. Starches to the right, meat to the left and vegetables at the top. More than one vegetable is a little disturbing because I don't know how to place them on the plate. I am not crazy about foods touching, but it is not a big deal. I also have to eat so that I finish all of the food on my plate at about the same time.

I'm
I don't like most fruits, especially peaches. The smell of peaches makes me gag. Food on my plate must be placed in specific areas of the plate. Starches to the right, meat to the left and vegetables at the top. More than one vegetable is a little disturbing because I don't know how to place them on the plate. I am not crazy about foods touching, but it is not a big deal. I also have to eat so that I finish all of the food on my plate at about the same time.

I just realised I do almost exactly the same thing. That's interesting.

I have a few quirks when it comes to food - I can't eat stews or stuff that's mixed in like that, with a few exceptions - I can eat steak pies, but not meat and potato or chicken pies, or even steak pies with veg in there. I can't eat things if they don't "look right" to me. I have an *insanely* sweet tooth, but apparently don't have a very good sense of taste otherwise.

Over the last 23-ish years my wife's slowly and surely started to introduce me to new foods, but there's still only a limited number I'll eat "willingly".

I feel sick eating in front of people, and I really don't like eating certain kinds of carbs, and I feel horrible when I have dairy or certain refined/overadded to foods. People don't tend to consider my eating "real". 0.0 LOL
I'm almost entirely vegan for ethical and health reasons these days. I feel much less fatigued, depressed, and anxious this way.

New Threads

Top Bottom