• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Food Food Food

I was always fussy when it came to food. I virtually only ate buttered bread when I was younger and was scared to try new things. The dinner ladies at the first primary school I went to wouldn't let you leave the canteen until you'd eaten everything, and if you had a packed lunch they would make you eat your sandwiches first. There were a number of occasions when, even though I was four years old, I knew I couldn't stomach my sandwiches (which, unsurprisingly, were white bread and butter) in that environment, and once I was opening my pot of jelly when one of the old crones took it away and told me I could have it when I'd finished my sandwiches. I started crying and would usually be one of the last to leave the canteen when the dinner ladies eventually gave up trying to get me to finish. But then my parents were informed that I wasn't eating in the canteen, so I was allowed to go home for lunch, where I got to have Bird's Eye Potato Waffles and French stick, which were my favourite foods at the time.

Now, even though I became a vegetarian quite a few years ago, my diet has a lot more variety in it. But I still have issues with canteens and eating out. Maybe it has something to do with my experience of that canteen, I don't know, I just feel like I'm being watched and I find it uncomfortable. But it's nothing I can't sort out by getting myself used to it, I suppose.

Anyone else on the forums very picky about what they eat? Does anyone else tend to order the same food over and over again at a restaurant?

I'm not picky about my food in the sense that I am an adventurous eater, I'll try almost anything at least once. There are very few foods that I don't really like, and most of those I will eat if I have to. I was brought up in a household where there wasn't a whole lot of money (at least that is what we kids were constantly being told), and therefore picky eating was not encouraged. If something new was served, you had to try it at least once. You didn't have to have seconds, but you did have to try. We had a garden and I think that is the key to getting kids to like vegetables. If I hadn't grown up on just picked, fresh vegetables I probably wouldn't like them either.

That said, I am picky about how my food is prepared. There are items I won't order when I am eating out because I know they won't prepare them the way I like. Since I started cooking for myself more rather than relying on take-out, I have gotten worse in that regard, believe it or not. However, if I am someone's guest and they serve me something I don't particularly care for, I eat it anyway and don't say anything because I feel the friendship is more important than a meal or two.

But what I really do not like is eating off the same plate as someone else or using the same utensils or sharing the same cup. Fortunately that doesn't come up very often but when it does I usually have some excuse.

I would consider food one of my interests. I love to try anything that I've never had before. The more strange and obscure the food the more fascinating. I'm a gardener and I love to try growing vegetables that are from other cultures or that I simply have never tried before. I love experiencing new tastes as much as I love learning new things. There are limits though and things I won't try, such as bugs and some fermented, rotten smelling food.

Hi I'm a Vegan ( Yay Me ! ) I don't cosume anything that that is animal based.. My food interest are mostly different curries , and alot of Thai and other asian cooking. I tend to eat alot of stuff over and over but that is because it is delicious:wink:

I dislike anything porous and watery. That basically means some boiled vegetables and any tofu that's not prepared well. Also I have issue if I'm served same animal at more than one way in the same dish. I.e. eggs and meat from same bird or fish, or potato mash and fries. No. My brains just can't decide which one am I getting. I'd like to think than some gourmet dish with same ingredient done as a mousse and fried main component would be ok, because it'd be too vain to complain about that, but I've never got a nerve to try.

Instead I'm completely fine having sweet cocoa alongside with lasagna and am also curious trying out new tastes - and it's always better when I know what that oddness really is.

I have severe food problems, in loads of ways. I have a bad digestive problem which makes me have to stop eating after a while, I'm an INCREDIBLY fussy eater, and can sense subtle differences in taste between brands of the same food, or shop own brands, so much so that it can stop me liking that food altogether. I also have emetophobia, phobia of vomiting, which stops me eating or eating certain things further.

I just recently found out about orthorexia, I might be there due to my ocd and physiological limitations that do impose a lot how I should and dare to eat. "Does your diet socially isolate you?" is one of diagnostic criteria. Well, I'm already isolated. But I don't really suffer from being overly selective because I don't stay that long away from home that I'd languish because of fear of wrong kinds of food offered elsewhere. But eating well has become an economical question and I probably could manage with less planning, but I'd feel that healthwise unsafe and many things considered as objectionable.

Everyone says I am the pickiest eater ever. I am the plain and dry guy. I love bread (especially hot and fresh), crackers, chips, fruit, veggies and simple things.
I DO NOT eat "Shmoo" ie: Mayonnaise, Mustard, Ketchup, Potato Salad, Cream Cheese, Sour Cream etc. I can't even stand to get it on my finger.
I love Lettuce and Tomato and I love Hamburgers, but I hate them together. I do not like cold things and hot things together. I do not like hard and soft things together. However, if I eat Mashed Potatoes and corn or peas as sides, I will mix them together.

I am recent dx'd aspie, former chef. I enjoy all foods, especially Indian. Yet, I can not be around others when they are eating crunchy things. I have to leave the room.

I very much enjoy vegan cuisine. No dairy products, no egg products, and no meat / poultry / fish. Sometimes my veganism will also take me, at times, as far as to the gluten-free side of eating and even raw veganism. I consider eating gluten-free and raw veganism to be flavors in my diet. I've also had a long history of dietary complications, and these complications are what made me consider veganism after a year of vegetarianism.

I really will eat just about anything. This sounds like something out of desperation, but the college I attend has some of the worst food in the country for college students. (#6 out of 10 for worst food in USA College Campuses according to Princeton Review.) Salads are important to me, and so are smoothies. But otherwise I enjoy having vegan pizza with or without non-vegan cheese, usually on a gluten-free crust. I can enjoy a good bowl of pasta when made well or a bit of black bean salad. I ALSO ENJOY FRITO PIE!!! It is so good! :) I enjoy experimenting with different types of bread including spelt bread, 7 grain bread, and whole wheat bread. And then also guacamole and chips (preferably unsalted); the guacamole, though, has to have extra-virgin olive oil, kosher salt, ground black pepper, and mild salsa in order for it to taste good (at least to me). (I've considered trying to add apple cider vinegar and seeing what happens.) I also enjoy no-bake cookies with gluten-free oats and almond milk or rice milk.

These are just a few of my food tastes. :)

I gag if I detect ANY fat or skin in my mouth. That is, meat fat--I love dairy fat. There is no way I will eat most reheated or cold meat so that means I waste a lot of expensive food. The thing I hate the most is beer. It tastes worse than Robitussin! The texture of food is very important to me and if I don't like it, I don't eat it. If deli ham isn't sliced paper thin I really can't enjoy it because it "crunches" when chewed. I am an extremely picky eater but do eat foods from all groups and colors. And--I am obese because I am a compulsive eater. I have been fat since before I was in kindergarten and I love well prepared desserts. I don't eat junk desserts like packaged store cookies. I am so picky that someone once asked me how I managed to stay fat when I am so particular about food. Pretty rude, huh?

New Threads

Top Bottom