• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Following/Followers? I don't understand.

Yeshuasdaughter

You know, that one lady we met that one time.
V.I.P Member
I have been a user here since 2019, and I just noticed on the sidebar of my profile that it says I have twelve followers.

I assume that means that those people like me.

I have seen on some other peoples' profiles that they follow a great many users.

What does it mean to follow someone? What does that do?

What does it mean if someone is following you?

I don't get it either. I'm not sure what the point of it is. I think it means you get news feed from them or something?

In truth, I am also not sure of the reason, but then again, I do not follow anyone. Not due to anything, other than the fact that I do not see the point. However, if I think about it, I do like it when I get a notification of someone following me; it does make me feel nice, so based on that, I ought to do the same, in order to make another user feel nice too! :p

Don’t get it and don’t like it. Why? Why do it? I’ve only interacted with 2 who follow me, nice folks but what do I get for being followed, is there a “win a free toaster”? Do I get to pick the color of toaster if I get so many followers? How about those I would follow, do they get toasters before I do? A game without rules, perfect!

Maybe it's like Calvinball. Make it up as we go along. I follow people who have posted things that resonate with me. What that does, I still don't know.

Moderators can chime in on this, but on most sites if you are "following" a person, all it means is that you will get an alert on your feed that says "person X" has just posted on "thread Y". There are certain people that for one reason or another seem to connect with you and you might want to read more about them or what they have to say.

I have been a user here since 2019, and I just noticed on the sidebar of my profile that it says I have twelve followers.

I assume that means that those people like me.

I have seen on some other peoples' profiles that they follow a great many users.

What does it mean to follow someone? What does that do?

What does it mean if someone is following you?
It's like a private phone number list of people you want to stay in touch with or important numbers that you don't want to look up each time in a giant published phone book.
It is a form of admiration at times while other times it could well be a competition where he who dies with the most toys wins.

In the bigger scheme here, it will enter the names you follow into your news feed so you get a Cliff's Notes style rundown on what your friends are up to without having to PM each one of them daily.
Instead of scouring the entire forum to see what they are up to, you get updates on them tailored to your own settings.
In turn, they get the same results on theirs.

Last edited:
Moderators can chime in on this, but on most sites if you are "following" a person, all it means is that you will get an alert on your feed that says "person X" has just posted on "thread Y". There are certain people that for one reason or another seem to connect with you and you might want to read more about them or what they have to say.
Neonatal RRT, you are always the voice of reason.

I always like when someone posts comments that I appreciate. But "following" others makes no sense to me either.

In truth, I am also not sure of the reason, but then again, I do not follow anyone. Not due to anything, other than the fact that I do not see the point. However, if I think about it, I do like it when I get a notification of someone following me; it does make me feel nice, so based on that, I ought to do the same, in order to make another user feel nice too! :p
It looks like you are starting to see the value in it.

Don’t get it and don’t like it. Why? Why do it? I’ve only interacted with 2 who follow me, nice folks but what do I get for being followed, is there a “win a free toaster”? Do I get to pick the color of toaster if I get so many followers? How about those I would follow, do they get toasters before I do? A game without rules, perfect!
Yeah, you get a free toaster, but you don't get to choose the color.

Neonatal RRT, you are always the voice of reason.

I always like when someone posts comments that I appreciate. But "following" others makes no sense to me either.
If you stop and think about it, it probably will make sense in the end.

In my case, I never initiate following someone, as I always felt some others could be uncomfortable with such, or be pickier than I in who they want on their lists. If someone chooses to follow, I am fine with such, so I instinctively follow back as I do not mind any that follows me. But, if they unfollow me, for whatever reason, I usually will sooner than later do the same, again, not wanting to make another uncomfortable. I am usually always thinking of others first, more so than my own interests.

In all of the other forms I have been on, this was the purpose of "following". It doesn't seem to work that way on this forum. I haven't figured out if it really does anything.o_O

FB_IMG_1581352924404.jpg

This is how it works on a Windows operating system
news feed.JPG
Hover over your name, blue arrow
That will open up this dialog box.
Click on Your News Feed, yellow arrow
That in turn will open up Your News Feed, red arrow where you can view posts made by those you follow.

I'm not familiar with what the screens look like on a phone because the mobile format is lacking in some areas that don't suit my needs on our forum, so I avoid using it.
Plus my eyes don't agree with tiny text either.
My present monitor is a 50" TV for that very reason.
If anyone is prolific with their mobile device can answer that, by all means kindly share that with us.

Start to worry if l am being followed, it's too literal a term for me with a lot of negative connotation. He followed me into the dark alley. If l follow someone, l worry they feel pressure to then follow me, neurotic thinking, yup, Woody Allen would be proud.

I just see them as ways to compliment someone personally on a single post (like) or collectively over many posts (following).

And that it's not worth delving into anything deeper than that. With no implication of quid-pro-quo required. ;)

Last edited:
If you stop and think about it, it probably will make sense in the end.
Nope, still doesn't.
I understand the process. I understand getting alerts to comments one might be interested in from people whom you think make interesting / good comments.
But I follow topics of interest and I am glad when users I like comment and thats good enough for me. Logging on to see what a particular person has to say feels stalkerish.
(Don't worry, I haven't singled you out for this peculiarity of mine. I drove my art instructor and driving instructor nuts too)

New Threads

Top Bottom