• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

flashbacks?

BradT

Are people on the spectrum known to having flashbacks of the past? I was bullied in middle 16 years ago and sometimes something triggers me and I go back to it. My high school years were awesome, it's the middle school memories that trigger me sometimes.

I don’t know, but I kind of frequently get mini flashbacks to particularly embarrassing times. Ussually it’s triggered by a thought or something that happened or something I heard. When it happens though, it repeats multiple times and I can’t stop thinking about it for like 10 minutes. Don’t know if this is similar but it is data to consider.

I think it depends on your culture and your neurology, if you come from a culture which is very demonstrative you will probably have an outlet for trauma!for some situations but if it is not demonstrative the trauma could become damaging !for instance you see in Arabic countries women being very expressive about grief! whereas in some European countries and northern America you are expected to hold your grief in .

Flashbacks to traumatic events are not dependent on your neurologic development as NT or ND.

In short, yes, ASD people can have flashbacks.

I get pretty vivid flashbacks to pretty traumatic events, luckily these are only triggered by specific circumstances which I avoid like the plague.

New Threads

Top Bottom