• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

First book

Gracey

Can you remember your first book?
The one you would spend hours looking at the pictures or reading.
The one you treasured and wouldn’t put down?

Or did someone read to you?
Do you remember a certain story being read to you?

Mine was Meg and Mog.
First published in 1972/3? I think.
I remember the writing looked huge and the illustration was line drawings in a lot of navy blue and black colours.

I also got a Twinkle album one Christmas, gave it to the church jumble sale after their appeal for items and bought it back on the day of the sale,
Hadn’t finished reading it - that was what I told my parents. :)

It was one of my father's college textbooks pertinent to accounting. All kinds of numbers. I especially remember the bright red binding.

I found it fascinating to look at, but not actually read or cypher. That came a year or two later in kindergarten and the first grade. As for the actual basics in accounting, well...that came much later. :p

Truly...my "first" book. Er uh...before "Go Dog Go". ;)

Last edited:
Home for a Bunny. I kept it under my pillow for many years despite it wasn't really comfortable. The Bunny went from place to place, looking for a home.... he found a place eventually. Phew. Not sure if anyone read it to me but assume they must have.

Before I could read it was the Bible.
My grandma showing me the treasures and memories kept inside.

Then it was the red pirate.

Or was he gold? Or were there three pirates?

I don't remember the exact details, but it was an old book of the 'stirring tales of bravery' sort, I'll guess from England, early 1900's. I would have been maybe 8-9. It may have only been classical stories, as I only remember ones like The 300 Spartans, Hannibal crossing the Alps and Geese saving the Citadel in Rome from a Keltic night attack. To this day it is those type of stories ancient to modern that move me most. It was illustrated with line drawings like this:

zpage094.gif

A children's illustrated encyclopedia from the 1950s I still get a panic attack thinking about the illustration of the dinosaurs

The books I constantly looked at as a child were Alfie and Annie Rose, Topsy and Tim, Old Bear and Noddy. I never took much interest in my other story books at that age. I use to like look a book with pictures or lego models in. I would get books with pictures of animals and one particular one from the library so I could look at the picture and get my Mum to read me bits.

When I was a bit older I was really into Babysitters Club and read them over and over.

From about 5 I use to listen to a lot of audio books and remember Harry Potter and the Spook particularly.

A children's illustrated encyclopedia from the 1950s I still get a panic attack thinking about the illustration of the dinosaurs
Myself and my best friend use to go look at the pictures in the Ridley’s Believe it it not books. We had to skip that page so she didn’t have a panic attack.

Apparently, my sister used to read me to sleep with a really old paleontology textbook. I have no memory of that, but apparently it was the only thing that could get me to go to sleep some nights.

My first actual book that did more than look at was a book about car racing and the winning strategies for such. I had it constantly checked out from the library, and read it over and over.

It was fairly basic so it wasn't too far over my head (I think I was about 4), but I held onto that basic lesson about how to get from point A to point B in the quickest, most efficient way possible; that really stuck for some reason.

Bottersnikes and Gumbles by SA Wakefield,

Set in the landscape of the Australian bush the stories recount a series of conflicts between the lazy, destructive Bottersnikes and good-natured, hardworking Gumbles. Inspiration for the series came from the emerging environmental movement. The two species were intended to represent opposing attitudes towards the environment; those who destroy the bush, and those who clean it up.

y648.jpg
I still have it. Illustrated beautifully.

Last edited:
The Jungle Book. I read and then re-read the book until it literally fell apart and there were food stains all over the pages.

The Tale of Peter Rabbit, Madeline and The Jungle Book. I was attached to all, and I vividly remember my parents and grandmother's voices, reading all three books to me. (quite a long time ago, as I am, now, 50).

I'm not sure if it was my first one or not, but the book that sticks in my mind was a story called "Hannibal the Hamster". I read it, or had it read to me, over and over again.

I was in love with what was called a First Reader book Tuggy the Tugboat.
19 pages long, the setting was NYC harbor.
Now I was born in AZ, but, as soon as I heard about New York I had an immediate pull to it.
To me it was like the Emerald City somewhere, magical.
And I knew nothing about it in real life.
I read and reread the book and crawled under my baby crib and pretended it was my 'harbour.'
Some friends of my parents went there on vacation when I was three and brought back a load of
post cards as they knew I was obsessed with NYC for some reason.
What a treasure!
Mom and Dad got a big red and white plastic boat for me that I wouldn't let go of.
Tuggy.jpg
Look at the price: 35 cents. :D

Peter Pan was always my favorite, and it seems I’m still a lost boy and still live in never land...

Maybe its because reality sucks most the time. : )

Grams also read me Robin Hood... Pooh, Giant John, Jungle book and others...

New Threads

Top Bottom