• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

First Appointment Tomorrow... nervous...

Questella

Peace, Love and all that good stuff
So my first appointment with a psychologist is tomorrow, I've been on a waiting list for it for over four months...

I've really just tried to put it out of my head and haven't done anything to really prepare myself... but idk if i should of... I have my original assessment paperwork from elementary school when I got diagnosed with adhd/emotional disability but they didn't really do the autism thing back then... so I just have all that paperwork and my insurance card...

Now it's just tomorrow and I'm starting to freak out, I don't want to have a meltdown there or before I even get there... idk what should I wear? What should I say? What should I expect?

I haven't talked to anyone and really tried to put it out of my head because well I have no one to talk to and the whole thing is just too much to deal with... I used to get prescribed medication for the adhd but over a year ago my old psychiatrist quit on me and told me to go to the emergency room but of course they were just like, "um no,"

My life has been a dismal failure, since losing my old psychiatrist... I've taken up a big drinking habit (which I've refrained the last two days, somehow).

I'm so nervous, any thought, insight?

I'm so scared, how badly can this go tomorrow?

If I don't get help my boyfriend/son's father is going to leave me, he's sick of dealing with me... I have no friends, my family doesn't want to deal with me, my mom helps me out to be close to her grand baby but before I had him we didn't talk for years, I'm always excluded from family events, which I guess isn't a bad thing since I just make everybody uncomfortable...

Ugh this little question turned into a bit of a rant... sorry... I hope I'm not going to offend anyone by this post...

Would it be out of the ordinary for me to take my blanket or a stuffed animal I can fiddle with? If I don't have something I tend to eat my hands and my cuticles need a rest. My boyfriend gets so mad at me and tells me to just quit doing it... like if it was that easy wouldn't I just not do it? I can't stand it when I'm legit having a problem with something like this and people think I'm just trying to "get attention" like **** attention is the last thing I want...

Or I'll be pacing or constantly run my fingers through my hair or twirling or just some damned thing that generally makes people uncomfortable... if I try to stop everything I start shaking uncontrollably, them sometimes people just think I'm cold buy sometimes they think I'm f*d up on some kind of drugs...

I hope I can get to sleep before 6am.... :(

I didn't prepare or anything, it's not like you're doing an exam. They'll ask for anything they need. So for the second time she wanted to see my school reports, for example. I think for the first you just turn up and they ask what they need to know. You seem very panicked, but honestly, to me the assessment wasn't stressful or anything. I was in a nice, dark, quite room and she spoke quietly. I didn't even ask for that. If you want to bring something so that you don't eat your hands then do that. And bringing that paperwork sounds useful, I'd say you should.

It won't go badly, they will ask questions and all that's expected is for you to answer them the best you can, you can wear whatever you like, and all you need to say is what they ask you to.

I was nervous because I didn't know what to expect, but I was more at ease in the process than before it.

Just relax and be yourself. I don't think there is anything wrong with taking a comfort thing to relieve your stress.
:D

New Threads

Top Bottom