• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Finally went in for an official diagnosis.

Toby77

So, I finally went in for an official diagnosis at psychologist in my area. When I was 5yrs old it was suggested by doctors the I was autistic but my parents shrugged it off.
I set my appointment up over the phone. While on the phone, the lady I spoke with said that the doctor would want to speak with my wife over the phone during the interview. I had all of her information to give them but forgot to do it. They never asked for it before or after the interview or brought it up. So my question is.....why would they not follow through with calling her? Was i that obvious, so they didn't see the need to speak with her?
Just curious if that has ever happened to anyone else here.

Last edited:
For me, they wanted an interview with my mom because after all the tests they still weren't sure I was on the spectrum. The interview with my mom was wat finally tipped the scales. So it could be that they didn't feel it was necessary to interview your wife because they had enough reasons to assume a diagnosis of autism. Or, as @GadAbout mentioned, it could be an oversight.

For me, they wanted an interview with my mom because after all the tests they still weren't sure I was on the spectrum. The interview with my mom was wat finally tipped the scales. So it could be that they didn't feel it was necessary to interview your wife because they had enough reasons to assume a diagnosis of autism. Or, as @GadAbout mentioned, it could be an oversight.
I am thinking you and GadAbout are right that they had enough of what they needed. They were just so thorough and the entire assessment took 5.5hrs. It would be hard for me to think of it as an oversight.
It is just my wondering and ever uncertain mind wants reassurance that they do not come back saying that I'm just insane.

Ok, so I received my diagnosis from my psychologist and it is official.......I have Autism accompanied with panic and anxiety disorder and ADHD(<---I really did expect this one). Their office was great and very thorough.
My question for you all is this.....
He recommends getting my ADHD under control with Strattera for starters. I take xanax for the panic or anxiety attacks. I like the way my mind works so I am worried that if I take Strattera it will change that.....what is everyone's thoughts on this?

One of my relatives went to doctor just before going to college
because he was concerned about not being able to pay attention
in class. And he wanted to be able to pay attention.

He was diagnosed as ADD and prescribed Stattera.

It worked well for him. No appetite loss or nervousness from it.
He was so pleased within a week he said that it was surprising
how he could have a conversation with a person, more than
saying just one thing and then stopping because of being
distracted or lost.

Ok, so I received my diagnosis from my psychologist and it is official.......I have Autism accompanied with panic and anxiety disorder and ADHD(<---I really did expect this one). Their office was great and very thorough.
My question for you all is this.....
He recommends getting my ADHD under control with Strattera for starters. I take xanax for the panic or anxiety attacks. I like the way my mind works so I am worried that if I take Strattera it will change that.....what is everyone's thoughts on this?
Congratulations on finally getting clarification on your diagnosis.

I have no experience with Strattera. If you are hesitant for any reason, discuss it with your prescriber. If you go on a drug and it isn't for you, in most cases it can be switched or discontinued without lasting permanent effects, but be sure to follow your doctor's directions about how to go about that.

One of my relatives went to doctor just before going to college
because he was concerned about not being able to pay attention
in class. And he wanted to be able to pay attention.

He was diagnosed as ADD and prescribed Stattera.

It worked well for him. No appetite loss or nervousness from it.
He was so pleased within a week he said that it was surprising
how he could have a conversation with a person, more than
saying just one thing and then stopping because of being
distracted or lost.
That is comforting to hear. Is he on the spectrum or no?

Congratulations on finally getting clarification on your diagnosis.

I have no experience with Strattera. If you are hesitant for any reason, discuss it with your prescriber. If you go on a drug and it isn't for you, in most cases it can be switched or discontinued without lasting permanent effects, but be sure to follow your doctor's directions about how to go about that.
I am hesitant. The reason is, 10yrs ago a doctor put me on adderall and it amplified all of my symptoms, especially my panic attacks. So now I worry.

New Threads

Top Bottom