• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Female, self eval, I have questions!

Thank you for the oportunity to pose my questions. I do have so many!
I want to be clear in my understanding as I don't want to claim anything, even in my own mind, that would not be true. The logical step is to get a professional evaluation but I do not have health insurence so....

One of my questions has to do with eye contact. When I was younger looking someone in the eye was almost impossible. I felt deep panic when I tried and the more I wanted someones attention, the harder it became. It was almost debilitating. I would spend hours wiyh a mirror practicing looking close to the eyes without making contact. I reasoned that most people wouldn't notice if I was off a little. Ha ha!

As I got into my 20s and 30s I got pretty good with just darting my eyes around so I made contact but it was very brief. In my 40s I would always stand just far enough away that I could look at people in a general way to see more of their bodies so eye contact was not as intense. Now that I am in my 50s I can look friends in the eye fairly normally but I still don't know how long is long enough and if I am being too intense. But we most often meet in public places outside so it's pretty easy to find something else to look at "naturally". I always hope they (my friends) just think I am enjoying the scenery.

On the surface one might say, yes, this is consistent with autisim but until just a few days ago I thought my issues with eye contact had to do with early life trauma. In general I am more confused as ever because trauma and autisim, if I am indeed on the spectrum, are feeling rather chicken and egg.

I can see how an undiagnosed child might elicit responses from a checked out parent that might appear as deliberate abuse to that child. But I can also see how a narcississtic parent can cause trauma that appears consistent with autistic traits. Which is exactly where I maybe. Without access to a psychiatric evaluation I might never know.

I will say, however, that the first video I watched regarding autisim came with a whole bunch of "light bulb" moments like dozens of camera flashes going off at the same time. After decades of trying to figure out my early life trauma I suddenly felt relief. Oh, oh, oh! Now I get it! It is like stumbling arouhd in the dark trying to find the left shoe but you keep finding shoes that don't match. When you do find the missing shoe, you know it because it feels right even though you can't see it.

Welcome!

I'm horrible at math. I see now after being diagnosed with autism that it's due mainly to a single incident in 4th grade. I took what the teacher said literally: "Tomorrow, class, you'll be learning the hardest thing you'll ever learn in math...story problems. See you tomorrow." < I had a panicked mental block that night, the next day and it carried over for the rest of schooling for me.

There are things other than autism of which a person can have sensory sensitivities (SPD Sensory Processing Disorder).

This forum will likely help you and it doesn't matter if you're professionally diagnosed or self-diagnosed. You're welcome here either way!

Personal request: Please continue with the distinction that you're self-diagnosed.

It might help you to research abuse as a child or autism spectrum disorder in children try to avoid Asperger's syndrome more clinical research uses the term autism spectrum disorder (look over your school reports if you have any left see what all of your teachers have said about you, if you have any clinical psychology reports look at those).

look over your school reports if you have any left see what all of your teachers have said about you
In my country no such report, on the report there are just grades from subjects and a grade from behaviuor (great, good or bad) where only badly behaved students get other than great.
Tomorrow, class, you'll be learning the hardest thing you'll ever learn in math...story problems. See you tomorrow.
This is a bad teacher and story problems are here just to see if you really understand maths.

Alas, I am 54 and have moved many times since childhood. I don't even have any photos of myself, nevermind school reports. And I have only attempted to see a therapist once with disasterous results.

As I mentioned my childhood was traumatic and I am not sure my mother is able to give an unfiltered response to my questions. She did say I would never wear anything but black patent leather mary janes. She would go to great lengths to find them because without them I would melt down getting dressed.

Hi, welcome to the forums!

1. Are aspies always 'gifted'? NO. Hard no. Most people with autism I have met or with Asperger's seem to have learning difficulties. I'm one of the few I know that did semi-alright in school and due to that they didn't think I had it even though I got diagnosed. If you're gifted, you're lucky.
2. Are aspies always good at maths? Uh, most I know hate math with a burning passion and some have school related trauma due to math.
3. Do aspies always have an intense focus on just a few interests? Not always. Many are different and they always seem to vary. I always have a ton of special interests and some of them fluctuate and a few (around 5-10) always stay.

Also please keep in mind that while someone may have a special interest in something, that same special interest can trigger someone else. So I always tend to look on someone's profile if they have any triggers to talk to them about something so I don't hurt them unintentionally. I hope you'll learn more in your research, most I meet don't take the time to.

Last edited:
Thanks Bibliophile. I am realizing how diverse everyone is. My first questions were based on (forgive me) broad stereo types. Not cool I know!

I've been watching a lot of videos on YouTube and find myself in almost every one. I am stunned? Excited? To find that there are others so similar to me. Even reading the comments can be enlightening.

I just learned that meltdowns are fairly common. I always thought it was just me being a brat throwing a temper tantrum. This is one area I learned early on to mask and develop strategies to prevent. Like going into another room, taking a walk, stretching out toilet breaks etc. If nothing else I shut down for a while. I can not tell you how often I berated myself for being "immature"! All of that has gotten much better since I retired. I am seldom ever in situations that are outside of my control. But even so, even though my husband is the most supportive person I can imagine we are together 24/7. So I get up in the middle of the night just so I can let myself just be.

Both my husband and I easily become "situational masters" at given topics as long as the information is needed. For example my husband is a software architect and will acquire a master level understanding of a clients business so that he can better design software that meets their needs.

I also do this but in a slightly different way and for different reasons. I might get deeply into a topic like print making, acquire a deep level knowledge of the subject, then simply choose a new focus. But for weeks, months or years, I might know as much as anyone on my chosen subject.

Neither of us, however, retain that acquired knowledge beyond the subjects useful period. Or at the most we retain no more knowledge than the usual lay person.

For both of us, we simply feel that the subjects usefulness is exhausted and do not choose to retain the information. Like a deliberate info purge to make uncluttered mind space for "the next adventure".

Until I met my husband I have never met anyone else who does this. Is this typical of aspies or neurotypical in information gathering?

I know it drives my mom nuts. When I was younger she saw this as defect in my chracter. But I don't think there is anything wrong with it. I just want to understand.

This is absolutely something I do. I’m not diagnosed but since I discovered I may be autistic, I’ve become pretty convinced that I qualify. One of the reasons I am so amazing at the work that I do is that I can assimilate vast amounts of complex (and reputedly boring!) information and apply it in novel ways to decision-making and solution design. My ability to read extremely dull information quickly and critically while retaining key and relevant points is fairly unusual.

I’m currently not doing amazing at my job, though, because I ended up accidentally picking something that required that kind of knowledge while also requiring me to be absolutely perfect in social interactions with customers all day. The energy sink from masking to that extent is causing me serious issues.

Anyway, yes. This is absolutely something I do. I become the ‘expert’ very quickly and can make logical and pragmatic decisions even under pressure. It’s a highly useful skill. If you also have other autistic traits, it’s likely you’re on the spectrum (at least in my opinion).

New Threads

Top Bottom