• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Feeling Like a Fake

I'm a bit confused here, because on the one hand, you say that you feel you are not autistic enough and feel like a fake, but on the other hand you are struggling and should be able to cope better.

Firstly, you have a diagnosis for a reason: because you have struggles and need support. If you didn't have these issues, then you would not need or receive this diagnosis. All people with high functioning autism have these issues or similar; some can mask it and appear 'normal' and hold down a long term job, relationship, have a social life and friends, etc, but we can only do so much and there is always an often hidden cost or trade-off, we are much more prone to anxiety, depression and burn-out than our neurotypical counterparts, will reach the tipping point a lot faster and take longer to recover. 'High-functioning' autism in adults is often about the way we feel inside and our coping strategies, the parts we manage to keep hidden from others around us. The new student with his father who I saw a couple of days ago saw a friendly, cheerful language tutor with assessment questions and materials, he did not see the anxiety and feelings of being out of my depth and comfort zone that meeting and talking to strangers inevitably brings, the mask of concentration I need to monitor my body language and find the right and appropiate things to say. He didn't see the stimming under the desk I need to do to keep everything under control and to avoid overstimulation, or the recovery I need after the interview. I can relate to the feeling of being a fake, but I've come to realise it's about how I feel inside, how much I can manage and the need to balance that with the demands of living.

Secondly, forget Instagram. Like all social media, it's a fake reality as nobody every strives to present themselves in the best light and nobody every talks about the problems they may have, and lets face it, nobody's life is perfect and everybody has problems.

Sorry if my train of thought was confusing. I started out the post complaining that I don't feel like I'm autistic, and then I realized that, duh, I have all these classically autistic problems. Welcome to my discombobulated thought process!

That's the theoretical part of it. Practically, though, I definitely relate to feeling fake. I pass as NT well enough to feel like a fake autistic, but then I have ridiculous amounts of trouble with things that an NT would find easy so then I feel like I'm faking being able to function at all.

Well, you summed up my feelings way better than I could myself!

Facebook has a way of making people feel like less than they should because there people post the best achievements, trips and good things to show off with but the weaknesses get left out. Some people may not even be aware of their minuses, much less be willing to share them.

I used to cry because I saw people having the best time of their life and no matter how I tried I could only bump into misfortune at the time.

Bottomline: Grass is not greener on the other side

New Threads

Top Bottom