• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Feeling empty inside

Joni

I'm a middle aged self diagnosed woman who's never felt a part of anything. I have a family christening coming up in four weeks and I've been asked to be godmother. This is a great honour and I of course accepted. The problem is that in social situations like that I just seem to feel hollow, empty as if I'm watching from the sidelines. It has been this way for every occasion I can remember even my own wedding. I really don't want to spoil the day for everybody and I would truly like to be able to enjoy it myself. I'm wondering if antidepressants would help, I've never taken them. I've been doing some reading and have come to realise that I've been suffering from depression since I was 13. I would be grateful for any input.

Joni, I'm sorry you feel this way. Have you seen a doctor? Some on AC seem to be against taking antidepressants but I disagree & believe that in many instances they are definitely needed & can make a very useful difference. You may also benefit from therapy in addition to medication, or at least some self directed reading for self-help & understanding in lieu of therapy, but I would absolutely speak with a doctor about taking an antidepressant.

Good luck to you Joni, & congratulations on being a Godmother. That is quite an honor so you must mean a great deal to your family ... which is a very nice (& also hopeful) thing. :)

I would recommend reading the book called "The Mood Cure" because it helped me very much. The book describes nutritional deficiencies and how correcting them with various amino acids can bring bring about a healthier mental state. I benefited the most from 5 HTP and GABA. It may or may not help, but you might want to check it out. Congratulations upon becoming a Godmother!:)

Joni, I'm sorry you feel this way. Have you seen a doctor? Some on AC seem to be against taking antidepressants but I disagree & believe that in many instances they are definitely needed & can make a very useful difference. You may also benefit from therapy in addition to medication, or at least some self directed reading for self-help & understanding in lieu of therapy, but I would absolutely speak with a doctor about taking an antidepressant.

Good luck to you Joni, & congratulations on being a Godmother. That is quite an honor so you must mean a great deal to your family ... which is a very nice (& also hopeful) thing. :)
I have an appointment on Monday so I will see what he says. I have been doing some reading and found it helpful, but today when I needed it most I had no energy for it.

I would recommend reading the book called "The Mood Cure" because it helped me very much. The book describes nutritional deficiencies and how correcting them with various amino acids can bring bring about a healthier mental state. I benefited the most from 5 HTP and GABA. It may or may not help, but you might want to check it out. Congratulations upon becoming a Godmother!:)
Thanks I will check out the book. Would you believe that 5htp is banned here in Ireland it is however available over the counter when you cross the border. I take it for fibromyalgia I haven't heard of GABA.

I have an appointment on Monday so I will see what he says. I have been doing some reading and found it helpful, but today when I needed it most I had no energy for it.
Aww, & sorry to hear you have fibromyalgia. That may affect your energy levels sometimes too. I don't personally know much about 5htp or GABA, but trying to eat healthy & taking vitamins - including vitamin D, a B complex plus a separate multi-vitamin - can be very helpful.

Physical exercise or even just walking is a natural anti-depressant. When someone is down though the thought of initiating physical activity can be very unappealing although it would help. I hope you start to feel a bit better. And that'll be a positive step to see your doctor on Monday. :blossom::sunflower::blossom:

Aww, & sorry to hear you have fibromyalgia. That may affect your energy levels sometimes too. I don't personally know much about 5htp or GABA, but trying to eat healthy & taking vitamins - including vitamin D, a B complex plus a separate multi-vitamin - can be very helpful.

Physical exercise or even just walking is a natural anti-depressant. When someone is down though the thought of initiating physical activity can be very unappealing although it would help. I hope you start to feel a bit better. And that'll be a positive step to see your doctor on Monday. :blossom::sunflower::blossom:
I walk every morning and it does help. I think about what's troubling me and sometimes I do feel a lot more positive and I am trying to be nicer to myself. I'm definitely going to discuss this with the doc tomorrow

Thanks I will check out the book. Would you believe that 5htp is banned here in Ireland it is however available over the counter when you cross the border. I take it for fibromyalgia I haven't heard of GABA.
Wow, that's unbelievable! About the 5htp I mean. After all, it's not a drug. I once used GABA to wean off of Xanax. It uses the same pathways in the brain that Xanax uses.

It certainly may help. But sometimes you have to try a few different ones to find the one that works well for you, and some meds take some weeks before they reach efficiency. So I would say just make the best of it you can for the upcoming event, and focus more on long term improving your mental health.

Well I've now got an official diagnosis of aspergers and I've started on 5mg of lexapro. So hopefully I'll get my head together and start enjoying life☺️

You are not alone. There are many different times when there was a gathering where I just didn't want to go or even be there. There are times that I just want to pull away to myself and not talk to anyone. Even sometimes when I will not even really talk to my wife or kids.

Well I've now got an official diagnosis of aspergers and I've started on 5mg of lexapro. So hopefully I'll get my head together and start enjoying life☺️
Congratulations on your diagnosis :) I hope the medication helps.

New Threads

Top Bottom