• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Feeling Discouraged

Robby

I'm feeling so discouraged about my chance of getting a job and holding it. Last year I went on a few interviews and did well on most of them and got a couple offers but my anxiety and fear of people and being in a workplace where I felt afraid I wouldn't have enough control over things got the best of me and I never went to the jobs even though I got the offers. Now here I sit lost and feeling totally clueless as to how I am ever going to support myself. I am starting therapy this week and then testing for autism so hope that goes well but in the past I didn't feel I got anything from therapy. I know I am capable and have a lot to offer in a job but certain jobs I just couldn't do because of my sensitive to things like loud noise, high-pressure, etc. I do well with single or one or two tasks at a time and I do things really well there. I also have a nice personality when I feel comfortable with someone but getting there is the hard part. I am meeting with the vocational rehab in my town to see if they can help me. To add on to all this I'm openly gay and have aspergers on top of that so it makes it even harder to face up to an actual job where I don't freak out before I even start. Anyone give me some pointers or tips on how to face my fears or become more independent? I'm 32 and still live at home I really want my own place eventually but I've never held a real steady job before I don't know the life skills to do that.

I had to take about 7 months this past year and take medical leave. When I was out I was unsure if I was going to be able to return to work and very nervous about it. When I did go back I started back part time. I did that for a few weeks then went full time. However that was too much so I had to step back down to part time and do for a few more weeks. I have been fulltime for a couple of months now and things are going fine. I have went to a couple of interviews and have done poorly. I am wanting to get a new job that will better suit my situation. Good luck.

Try to find a night job. Everything is much more laid back at night. Found this out after having to work the dayshift again after 12 yrs of nightshift and I couldn't handle it (unless I had to and would be very unhappy). Also, I don't see anything wrong with a med like Xanax being used short term until you get used to a new job, new people and get a routine down.

Thanks for the suggestion, I may try for a night job. I've always felt more at ease at night in terms of less pressure, and also no worrying about my problems with light sensitivity either. Granted I wouldn't like messing my sleep cycle up having to sleep during the day I don't know if I could do that but weighing the pros and cons a night job might be worth a try at some point.

New Threads

Top Bottom