• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Favourite cover versions of songs...

AGXStarseed

For many songs, there are plenty of people who are perfectly willing to do their own cover versions of said song - whether the cover is official or fan-made, and regardless of how good it sounds.

Here's a few covers as examples:

PelleK - "Bohemian Rhapsody" (Originally sung by Queen)

Dragonforce - "Ring of Fire" (Originally sung by Johnny Cash)

Sonata Arctica - "Wing beneath my wings" (Originally sung by Bette Midler)

Tom Cruise (Rock of Ages) - "Wanted Dead or Alive" (Originally sung by Bon Jovi)

Elsie Lovelock - "Hellfire"
(Originally sung by Tony Jay - Disney's The Hunchback of Notre Dame)

Do you have any favorite cover versions of certain songs?

I'm not much of a fan of Queen, but I do like Metallica's cover of "Stone Cold Crazy." I also think their cover of "Helpless" is better than the original. Nick Tart is certainly a talented vocalist, but his style just doesn't match the song they were trying to play. I also feel like Lars Ulrich is a better drummer.

The Breed77 cover of Zombie is very very good. As is Fury's Drunken Sailor. And I quite like the Metallica version of Whiskey in the Jar.

I like your choices above, esp Dragonforce and Sonata Arctica.

As a tribute to Rick Parfitt, who died today, I nominate Status Quo's version of In the Army Now.
For years I mistook one of the lines as "Hanger Lane flying over your head" - what a nightmarish vision!

Shakin' Stevens, This Ole House
I danced to this on New Year's Eve - in Swansea. This was the only one of three requests I made to the DJ which he actually played.

Meat Loaf's version of Left in the Dark, originally by Barbra Streisand, was actually better than the original IMO.

Here's the original.

And here's the Meat Loaf version

Following on from my last post, here's a song which I requested but the DJ didn't play. I made a third request which was not a cover version, so I won't say anything it here - other than that all three of my requests featured Glamorgan-born performers.

The Cardigans feat. Tom Jones, Burning Down the House

"Feed the Birds" - Mary Poppins (Karliene)

"Trust in Me" - Jungle Book (Scarlett Johansson)

"Circle of Life" - The Lion King (Elton John)

"I'll make a man out of you" - Mulan (Pelle-K)

"Dreams to Dream" - An American Tail: Fievel Goes West (Sarah Lasko)

I loathe cover versions generally. Once I've heard something the once I don't want to hear it by anyone else. What if the song I hear first is a cover though, is that a flaw in the argument? Probably but look, there are some abominations out there and the number of cover versions I do care for can be counted on one hand.

Whitesnake - Ain't no love in the heart of the city:
(Replacing it with the live from Hammersmith version, cause that's the one i've usually been listening too).

Original by Bobby "Blue" Bland

Last edited:
Whitesnake - Ain't no love in the heart of the city:
(Replacing it with the live from Hammersmith version, cause that's the one i've usually been listening too).

That one interests me because I had only one Whitesnake single in my lifetime which was Fool For Your Loving and I could be wrong but I think the flipside was a live version of Ain't No Love In The Heart Of The City which is a terrific song. But it's not a cover is it - their own song?

"Wing Beneath My Wings" - a typo above I know but it made me laugh as I imagined a bird flying with its wing outstretched and a solitary wing flying by itself below!

I think there are very few covers that I like but my favourite would have to be Walk On By (The Stranglers).

Also, when Phil Collins sang A Groovy Kind Of Love he slowed it down and put so much emotion into it, he made it his own.

The Raincoats I think do a smashing version of The Kinks classic "Lola" and if I can think of any more examples, I'll come back!

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom