• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Fabric Sensitivities and Finding Fine Silks

What's wrong with sheep being sheared? I'm a country girl, and I've seen it many times. It doesn't hurt them. They are so thankful afterwards, and they skip around happily with how cool they feel.
Watch a video of an alpaca screaming is it's hair is dragged off ,there are other animals suffering

Animal rights activists share videos of sheep being manhandled and sheared with cruelty while terrified. The sheep then walk away bleeding from multiple wounds. Hopefully this is the exception, not the rule.
No it's pervertedly called normal practice ,same as the Chinese and Koreans steal people's pets and boil:((((( them alive

Magna- Wintersilks going bust is the entire reason this thread exists. A fellow connoisseur! If you are also 'Magna' on Elite Trader, you'd be shocked who I am.

Moonhart44- Lily Silks does have full men's pajama sets for $200. I've asked them if they can just sell me the pants. Thanks.

Mary Terry- I know a great seamstress. Recreating a wheel that already exists is another useful option to me. Might have to happen. You don't need to hand wash silk. Woolite delicate detergent, cold/cold, most delicate option machine cycle, and it totally works out.

Streetwise- Using vegan terms, I'm a 'meathead' who sincerely recognizes ethical vegans as ethically superior. If you've heard of Gary Yourofsky I have a decent story. If you know who Omri Paz is (Vegan Friendly, Israel), I have a much better one.

I used to buy from Wintersilks, too. Hate to learn that it is out of business. The problem with washing my silk pajamas in the washing machine is that they aren't very colorfast. One pair is dark blue and the other pair is a dark purple color so if I wash them on the gentle cycle, the colors run and stain. I may try handwashing them and then using the rinse cycle of the washer one pair at a time to remove the soap.

The problem with washing my silk pajamas in the washing machine is that they aren't very colorfast.

Okay. My vast experience with silks is that the colors hold just as well as cotton in the wash, not that I'd doubt you. Clearly I'm in the right place for silk conversations, if (small failed operation) Wintersilks had at least two fellow customers here.

Animal rights activists share videos of sheep being manhandled and sheared with cruelty while terrified. The sheep then walk away bleeding from multiple wounds. Hopefully this is the exception, not the rule.
That's not accurate, and is most likely highly edited footage. Shearing a sheep is not only harmless to them, but actually helpful. If a sheep's wool gets too long, then it can't move around properly and will die.
@Streetwise It's not normal practice and will most likely be met with criminal charges in most countries, if not jail time.

A sheep being shorn is basically the same as a human getting a haircut. Literally the only animal rights organization who says otherwise is PETA, and they kill animals and are a corporation in disguise.

Last edited:
That's not accurate, and is most likely highly edited footage. Shearing a sheep is not only harmless to them, but actually helpful. If a sheep's wool gets too long, then it can't move around properly and will die.
@Streetwise It's not normal practice and will most likely be met with criminal charges in most countries, if not jail time.

A sheep being shorn is basically the same as a human getting a haircut. Literally the only animal rights organization who says otherwise is PETA, and they kill animals and are a corporation in disguise.
Disagree

It's over, Anakin-- Tweeds have the high ground!

I don't wear synthetics-- Didn't mean to be rude but Suzanne's suggestion that linen looks untidy is ridiculous. The word there should be just right, not untidy. Wrinkly linen--well, it should be ironed each day--but anyway that is the look of adventure and casual readiness. The polyester blend is the blend of one who sells used cars.

I wear wool, cotton, linen--the basic old-school fabrics, usually with some texture to them. Silk is obnoxious to me but I can see how some would need it, just like I prefer fabric with some texture.

We've got to move away from synthetics though.

Silk is obnoxious to me but I can see how some would need it

Let's see if I can guess why. Charmeuse silk garments are too obnoxiously shiny on guys, therefore a classy gentleman would only wear this for his tie. But house clothes have different rules, so dress like a comfortable d-bag at home, I do. :smirk:

"It's over, Anakin-- Tweeds have the high ground!" Awesome. But now that we're post apoc, wouldn't it be more fun if we all began wearing spikes, leather, and Lord Humongus masks?

Mad-Max-2.jpg

Last edited:
Magna- Wintersilks going bust is the entire reason this thread exists. A fellow connoisseur! If you are also 'Magna' on Elite Trader, you'd be shocked who I am.

Moonhart44- Lily Silks does have full men's pajama sets for $200. I've asked them if they can just sell me the pants. Thanks.

Mary Terry- I know a great seamstress. Recreating a wheel that already exists is another useful option to me. Might have to happen. You don't need to hand wash silk. Woolite delicate detergent, cold/cold, most delicate option machine cycle, and it totally works out.

Streetwise- Using vegan terms, I'm a 'meathead' who sincerely recognizes ethical vegans as ethically superior. If you've heard of Gary Yourofsky I have a decent story. If you know who Omri Paz is (Vegan Friendly, Israel), I have a much better one.

@Autistic Yoda: No, not that person I am. I've never heard of Elite Trader.

I do hope there's an alternative to Wintersilks that makes mid or heavyweight long sleeve black silk crew neck men's shirts though!

Let's see if I can guess why. Charmeuse silk garments are too obnoxiously shiny on guys, therefore a classy gentleman would only wear this for his tie. But house clothes have different rules, so dress like a comfortable d-bag at home, I do. :smirk:

"It's over, Anakin-- Tweeds have the high ground!" Awesome. But now that we're post apoc, wouldn't it be more fun if we all began wearing spikes, leather, and Lord Humongus masks?

Mad-Max-2.jpg

^ Somebody get that poor freckled guy some sunscreen!

Mad-Max-2.jpg

I had to laugh so hard at this--the Mad Max stuff really does fit the spirit of 2020.

Silks, nylon, rayon, and other synthetics are just...creepy-feeling to me. That's why I don't wear them. Cotton is OK. Linen is OK, and of course for outerwear all the old itchy woolens and stuff are fine. (Old clothes are reliably consistent: I like the sameness of them.) Granted I know good and well that I might be wearing an overcoat that weighs ten pounds and hasn't been washed since FDR was in office and that's fine if it smells like grandpas but of course autistics are all a little different so of course someone needs to start producing y'alls silk underdrawers again.

Try military surplus. Some foreign armies in cold climate may have silk long-Johns or something.

No ,I won't wear wool from any animal or flesh ,silk (the worms are boiled alive to get the silk),if you see videos of the animals being murdered or abused you can't forget it .

Untrue. Silk worm cocoons are boiled so the individual silk threads will separate. The cocoons may or may not contain silk worm eggs. When the eggs hatch, the worms leave the cocoon. When I boil chicken eggs, I don't think of the eggs as living chickens and I seriously doubt eggs experience pain or fear.

Silk house clothes. Silk pillowcases. Silk sheets. Silk comforters. Needs all four, Autistic Yoda does. Authentic mulberry silk is the finest in the world. My source for house clothes has just dried up, but this is a basic necessity! Silk men’s sleep pants are hard to find, expensive, wear out extremely quickly, and most sellers bait and switch inferior materials. Help? No one else is fit to judge silks like we can. I would post my source for silk pillowcases and sheets with a full enthusiastic endorsement, but only if the bosses here say that’s okay. TIA.

If you find another source, will you please post here or PM me? I'm searching the internet trying to find good quality silk. A local fabric store also might know of sources.

I know how to sew and I'm actually thinking of making silk PJs and gowns for Christmas gifts for my family.

Solved. sisters-silk-2018 on ebay. I purchased from them half a year ago. Price was reasonable, they have to ship from China so there's a few weeks wait. Their men's sleep pants were just acceptable enough quality- but I'm a total silk snob. Magna, they do sell long sleeve black silk crew neck men's shirts. If anyone suspects me of shilling for my business friends (I'm not), delete this I can.

Here's my conclusion, after putting much effort into this matter:
sisters-silk-2018
on eBay is an awesome company. I've purchased from them twice since starting this thread and everything has arrived perfectly from China, in about two weeks.

For pillowcases and sheets, FeelingPampered.com is my trusted source for years. 2020 has taken so much, but it hasn't taken our silk.:grin:

I ordered silk pajamas from sisters-silk-2018, too, and they are the best silk PJs I've owned. The material is thick, luxurious, and appears very durable. Nice craftsmanship and sewing.

Thanks for finding the company and posting about it here!

New Threads

Top Bottom