• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Extreme right and wrong

Miker

Having recently become aware of Aspergers I have a dilemma that hopefully you all can help me with. I have extreme sense of right and wrong which I read is one of the traits of being an Aspie. On this basis before I knew of this I started to write a book on the failings of the human race in general. It wasnt going to a rant but a researched piece of work. Now I am wondering if my view is just a narrow Aspie view of the world, a minority view that doesn't fit in with the 99% of non aspies who statistically define the order of things!

Is my book valid? Is it worth continuing if 99% of the population will not be able to relate to it?

What to do, all suggestions welcome.

Thanks

The question that comes up to me is; are you writing a book to find validation of yourself in the world out there? If so... I don't know if writing a book, with that goal in mind, is the bestt hing to do, since you'll most likely end up hearing from people that don't agree with you.

I've seen, and read, plenty of books that ended up rants on how stupid X and Y are, and how silly some things people do are. But they're overall written in a lighter tone and don't feel like they're absolute morals that have to be pushed onto someone. And as such, aren't written with the goal in mind to convince people from a point of view they're already, somewhat, siding with.

Having recently become aware of Aspergers I have a dilemma that hopefully you all can help me with. I have extreme sense of right and wrong which I read is one of the traits of being an Aspie. On this basis before I knew of this I started to write a book on the failings of the human race in general. It wasnt going to a rant but a researched piece of work. Now I am wondering if my view is just a narrow Aspie view of the world, a minority view that doesn't fit in with the 99% of non aspies who statistically define the order of things!

Is my book valid? Is it worth continuing if 99% of the population will not be able to relate to it?

Thanks
We don't know if it really is the case that 99% of the population won't be able to relate to it.
Guess what, NTs don't all view the world in the exact same way.
Neither do Aspies.
All books have some people who can relate to them, and some who can't.

Discover your goal. It is there you will find your answer.
Thanks, I take a lot of positivity from your response however not sure if its an Aspie trait but I find defining goals as one of the hardest things to do. I tend to see equal advantages for both sides of the coin.

At times I consider myself a "poster child" for autism spectrum disorder. Yet I learned a very long time ago that this world has 256 shades of grey in between most everything perceived as "black and white".

If anything I tend to favor the logic of expediency over moral perceptions of right and wrong. Not in every case...but more often than not.

No, I don't see such considerations being limited to any one neurological profile.

The question that comes up to me is; are you writing a book to find validation of yourself in the world out there? If so... I don't know if writing a book, with that goal in mind, is the bestt hing to do, since you'll most likely end up hearing from people that don't agree with you.

I've seen, and read, plenty of books that ended up rants on how stupid X and Y are, and how silly some things people do are. But they're overall written in a lighter tone and don't feel like they're absolute morals that have to be pushed onto someone. And as such, aren't written with the goal in mind to convince people from a point of view they're already, somewhat, siding with.
Thanks, a thought provoking response. I suspect your points are completely valid. I like to live in a black and white world however it seems to reside in the grey part in the middle, something that I struggle with.

At times I consider myself a "poster child" for autism spectrum disorder. Yet I learned a very long time ago that this world has 256 shades of grey in between most everything perceived as "black and white".

If anything I tend to favor the logic of expediency over moral perceptions of right and wrong. Not in every case...but more often than not.

No, I don't see such considerations being limited to any one neurological profile.
Interesting, thanks. By the way I think your little doggie photo is great!

Thanks, a thought provoking response. I suspect your points are completely valid. I like to live in a black and white world however it seems to reside in the grey part in the middle, something that I struggle with.

Perhaps you are a "banner carrier". A person with a serious mission- or what some of us call "life themes". That you take various causes with seriousness and intensity well beyond that of others. Just something to consider...which can sometimes give the appearance of important things expressed only in terms of black and white.

I'm pretty sure there are a few of them in this community...

Perhaps you are a "banner carrier". A person with a serious mission- or what some of us call "life themes". That you take various causes with seriousness and intensity well beyond that of others. Just something to consider...which can sometimes give the appearance of important things expressed only in terms of black and white.

I'm pretty sure there are a few of them in this community...
Yes I can relate to that however it's hard to get a balance. Either I end up taking a serious viewpoint or going the opposite direction and applying the old shruggy shoulders!

Thanks

Personally I think you should go ahead with the book, just because we are Aspies does not make our viewpoints any less valued. In fact in many ways we may have an unique viewpoint that some will find refreshing, may give it an unique starting point.
Of course, many people may disagree with what you write, but that is the case generally.

Personally I think you should go ahead with the book, just because we are Aspies does not make our viewpoints any less valued. In fact in many ways we may have an unique viewpoint that some will find refreshing, may give it an unique starting point.
Of course, many people may disagree with what you write, but that is the case generally.
Thanks Abe1, I agree with you. I think that we do have a unique view of the world and one that should be heard.

Not all people will be able to relate to the contents of your book, but it's worth continuing for those who do, even if it's only 1%.

Not all people will be able to relate to the contents of your book, but it's worth continuing for those who do, even if it's only 1%.
Yes I think that the balance will be to to have an undiluted vision that it based on factual evidence rather than subjectivity. Hopefully all people can relate to real life events.

As I do, as my husband does. It's made us people who live our lives according to ethical values. You should not kill, steal, hurt others. Those morals or ethics are what make us who we are, how we live. They have integrity in a world that sometimes seems to lack a code of honour.

If it's a narrow view of the world, something that keeps us confined and directed by certain ideals then at least our conscience is clear.
Hi,
I perceive a distinct lack of integrity and ethics in the world but I cannot work out if that is only my perception based on Aspie tendencies or if that is reality?

I find that a lot of people in my family have had a completely false and destructive morality that they bitterly defended and slammed down my thraot as I was growing up. Me, being an individual who is troubled by how people are harmed by such defective ideologies (myself included) developed one that was the inverse, yet I too find that it polarizes all humanity into entirely good and bad people (and the bad far outnumber the good). Given my history of being subjected to people with false morals, when a person claims to be 'moral', I am very skeptical, particularly if they are old or religious. Especially if they cite 'wholesome values' or some hypocritical, supremacist buzzword like that.

So that's the reason I'm so f*cked up.

I find that a lot of people in my family have had a completely false and destructive morality that they bitterly defended and slammed down my thraot as I was growing up. Me, being an individual who is troubled by how people are harmed by such defective ideologies (myself included) developed one that was the inverse, yet I too find that it polarizes all humanity into entirely good and bad people (and the bad far outnumber the good). Given my history of being subjected to people with false morals, when a person claims to be 'moral', I am very skeptical, particularly if they are old or religious. Especially if they cite 'wholesome values' or some hypocritical, supremacist buzzword like that.

So that's the reason I'm so f*cked up.
Thanks for your input, I guess from my point of view that in creating a book as an Aspie, others have the opportunity to read it or not, to agree with it or not. Until recently I had no knowledge of Aspergers and I bet the majority of the world doesn't either. Maybe we have to be flag bearers to put across our individual view of how the world works because it may be an unique view which may add to improving everyone's lives.

I do have a tendency to 'hijack' discussions and rant about how much my life sucks and all that, so I guess I'll redeem myself by connecting my post to the original intention of the thread.

With regard to the book, I suggest you incorporate your own experience and your reactions to it, how it impacted you, and what your goals are in that vein. Perhaps those of others as well, to form a diverse collection of accounts to relate it to, comparing and contrasting them to yours.

A person's upbringing is often pivotal to their moral development (at least early on), as its all they know for the first two decades of their life.

If you're talking about right and wrong in regards to actual ethics, good for you.

What I can't understand is why people treat non-ethical issues as if they are about right vs wrong, good vs evil. I am thinking of an internet discussion I came across about cilantro, where cilantro haters were acting as if cilantro was objectively evil, and were speaking as if cilantro lovers had something objectively wrong with them. It's cilantro, guys....who cares whether you like or dislike it!?

If you're talking about right and wrong in regards to actual ethics, good for you.

What I can't understand is why people treat non-ethical issues as if they are about right vs wrong, good vs evil. I am thinking of an internet discussion I came across about cilantro, where cilantro haters were acting as if cilantro was objectively evil, and were speaking as if cilantro lovers had something objectively wrong with them. It's cilantro, guys....who cares whether you like or dislike it!?
A good point well made. It raises an interesting point though, of who decides the ethics of right and wrong for societies and does society as a whole care about ethics?

New Threads

Top Bottom