• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Extreme right and wrong

More or less, you've got the right idea. Tyranny has a bad connotation though, so perhaps a well-intentioned majority (in an 'ideal' society) wouldn't be tyrannnical so much as benevolent.

I remember my grandma yelling at me about some petty molehill issue that she made a mountain out of (the music I listened to was 'antichristian filth' or something like that and I told her to stop seeing things in black-and-white, yet I too have a tendency to do that.

In my own life I find it ironic how I had to grow up with such dogmatism and denounce it with that of the polar opposite position. I guess it sure beats being jerked around any more though.
Thanks for your insight. It's good to discuss subjects and get other views to create a wider perspective.
Much respect.

I often experience the world in Black & White: absolute rights and wrongs. Although this comes from being co-morbid with Borderline Personality Disorder.

I often experience the world in Black & White: absolute rights and wrongs. Although this comes from being co-morbid with Borderline Personality Disorder.
I think that it can be a positive thing and as Abe1 said, it allows us in the right circumstances to cut through the white noise!

My gut reaction:
  • None of us (ASD or NT) has a monopoly on right & wrong, ultimately truth. We all have to make the best decisions we can based on the information we have. (I have been right on the small points, before, while still being wrong on the big picture.)
  • Even if correct on a point, our views will only be accepted by those who are on or near the same page. Even those with integrity might not be on that page, yet.
  • Universal compliance to any ultimate right & wrong would require an altruism that just doesn't exist, at large.
The relatively good news is that we are not responsible for many of those things outside of our jurisdiction. If a neighbor deliberately cheats on his/her taxes, for instance, I am not the least bit culpable. If they require my support to do so, I would be.

Hi,
I perceive a distinct lack of integrity and ethics in the world but I cannot work out if that is only my perception based on Aspie tendencies or if that is reality?
Searching this out and writing about that search could very well be a book in itself.

Searching this out and writing about that search could very well be a book in itself.
I think you right. I believe that I have now worked it out. I have the answer so keep an eye for a book in the new year. I might have to quit my job to do it though as I can only concentrate at one thing at a time!

I have rather black and white thinking and I need to be careful about being overly legalistic. I struggle to see shades of grey. However even though I might decide that something is wrong I do look at circumstances (for example stealing is wrong and I think it should always be a crime, but the punishment should vary a lot depending on the type of robbery).

However I think I'm most judgmental about myself. If I do something wrong I am very harsh on myself with not even the leeway I allow for other people. Although I now have depression this was a trait from when I was small, if I made one mistake on a test is forget about all the other answers, because I decided that it wasn't all right therefore it was wrong.

I have rather black and white thinking and I need to be careful about being overly legalistic. I struggle to see shades of grey. However even though I might decide that something is wrong I do look at circumstances (for example stealing is wrong and I think it should always be a crime, but the punishment should vary a lot depending on the type of robbery).

However I think I'm most judgmental about myself. If I do something wrong I am very harsh on myself with not even the leeway I allow for other people. Although I now have depression this was a trait from when I was small, if I made one mistake on a test is forget about all the other answers, because I decided that it wasn't all right therefore it was wrong.
Yes I think a lot of aspies can relate to your point of view. Adding context to black and white thinking is key and this trait is a common trait of aspies. I see this as a positive though as it allows us to cut through the white noise to see important points. When using this trait internally it can also provide the motivation to drive us on and succeed, as long as we see it as a positive and not a negative.

Satirical works can be very successful. However, I would suggest reading other satirists and looking into what made them successful. "A book about what's wrong with the human race" isn't a very good tagline. You can make the same points of course, but doing so in that aggressive manner will mainly work under certain particular social conditions that I don't think are in effect right now. To be clear, more than just researching your points, you also need to research methods of making a point and driving it home in a convincing way.

Satirical works can be very successful. However, I would suggest reading other satirists and looking into what made them successful. "A book about what's wrong with the human race" isn't a very good tagline. You can make the same points of course, but doing so in that aggressive manner will mainly work under certain particular social conditions that I don't think are in effect right now. To be clear, more than just researching your points, you also need to research methods of making a point and driving it home in a convincing way.
Very good points. Which satirists would you suggest?

I do think it's an autism thing and I can relate. My therapist used to say I was very black and white with no in-between. I still am.

I do think it's an autism thing and I can relate. My therapist used to say I was very black and white with no in-between. I still am.

Do you think that the world in general lives in the in-between or in the black and white? Would you rather see the world in the black and white, right and wrong, and if so do you think it would be better or worse?
So many questions!☺

since there are 7 billion people in the world 1% would be 70 million in that case id concidder your book a good seller and alot of good feedback if it appeals to that 1% :)

since there are 7 billion people in the world 1% would be 70 million in that case id concidder your book a good seller and alot of good feedback if it appeals to that 1% :)
I like your figures!
If only we could galvanise that 70 million into a single voice, then maybe we could improve the lives of all those on the autistic spectrum as well as those who are not!

New Threads

Top Bottom