• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Extraordinary fatigue

Fino

Alex
V.I.P Member
For a while now, I've had the worst fatigue I've ever had. I spend most of the day in bed. A couple days ago, I slept almost 20 hours straight. I don't have any other symptoms. Obviously, I should ask a doctor but I'm wondering if anyone has ever experienced anything similar. It's not usually sleepiness, just exhaustion, an exhaustion that usually physically hurts. Ritalin, caffeine, vitamins, minerals, amino acids, food, water, and other things have made little to no difference.

A virus? Some don't have many other noticeable symptoms.

Depression? It can physically hurt some people.

I second the idea of vitamin deficiency.

Was it just a short stretch (24 hours) or has it persisted for days?

Has this been going on for a good while?
I'd go see a physician pronto, if you haven't yet.
Could be a low-functioning thyroid, or adrenal gland.
Could be the big C. Or perhaps anemia.
Hope you feel better soon.

So sad to read @Fino . Are you dealing with any emotional duress? Is this depression making you feel lethargic? Sometimes a bad flu/fever can take you down for a good week. Like just a feeling you have no energy, and you just want to sleep. It is the start of colds and flu season. Are you able to prepare food?

It's been at least a couple weeks.

I haven't gone to a doctor for this specifically yet.

I've struggled with depression all my life, but right now I'm only unhappy because I'm unable to function. I don't feel depressed.

I considered a vitamin deficiency so I've been taking a multivitamin and being sure to eat well. I imagine that if the issue were vitamins, I would gradually feel better, but I either feel the same or worse.

I've had similar exhaustion when I was sick, such as how Tree mentioned mono. I've had that and many other causes of low energy, but this is the first time the only noticeable symptom is fatigue and fatigue that isn't helped at all by sleep or stimulants.

I'm going to see a doctor as soon as possible, assuming it doesn't improve before I get to one, but I wanted to get some input in the meantime. Thanks everyone so far!

Sounds like the doctor will have to run a bunch of tests on you to get an answer. Just pinpoint when it started. Do you feel more tired during morning or evening. Did you start anything new in your routine? New food, new pills, protein supplements? Does anybody have access to your food? Do you have seasonal allergies? I had allergies take me down for hours, with headaches, and all l wanted to do was sleep. They may need to do a full body scan if the tests they run are inconclusive. And are you taking any sedatives that maybe are too strong? We all support you @Fino . We know you got this. Like @Jeff T says, they will want to know when this started, so write down anything you think of before you go in, since hospitals can be pretty disruptive for us.
Stay positive, and ask questions, so that you feel informed.

Last edited:
Many things as mentioned can do this.
You've had Mono. There's ME -CFS or Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.
I had that shortly after having the Mono. Average of 6 months afterwards.

See a doctor. Nobody here is an MD that I know of. Even if they were, you can't give a blood test and a physical exam in a forum.

I've experienced something similar. For me it's a symptom of emotional burnout.

Have you ever heard of adrenal fatigue? If you are too tense and worrisome then you will exhaust your adrenals which can lead to similar symptoms.

The best advice is to go a doctor, but usually they won't be able to explain physical symptoms resulting from psychological stress. But in order to discern whether or not your symptoms are different from mine, go see your doctor and do a blood test. Ask them to focus on your adrenal hormones if possible. You may want to add food high in vitamin b1 during the next few days though.

For me, if I continue to worry about how tired I am then I create a never ending cycle of fatigue since worrying is the cause of the fatigue. Just keep that in mind. I guess getting an answer from a professional is the best solution in order to calm your nerves.

Good luck I know how horrible chronic fatigue is.

Last edited:
For me it’s been a part of autistic burnout. A fatigue that doesn’t get better from sleeping or a week off, not lifted by anything. I feel for you.

Ruling out chronic fatigue, that's excellent advice. Sorry to read people go thru this. Sometimes I am on a cycle of burnout, but it just feels like a disinterest of life in general, not so much depression but l do want to sleep thru a couple of days.

There are a few other things to consider. Low iron levels and low vitamin D levels. Make sure you get a lot of sunshine.

Yeah, there's a lot of physical things that cause extreme fatigue and some are serious, so like others said, SEE A DOCTOR, 2 weeks is more than enough to establish it's not a minor thing. You mentioned having had mono. Mono is caused by the EPSTEIN-BARRE virus. Once you have had it, the virus is in your body forever. Your immune system normally keeps it dormant. In rare cases, your immune system "forgets" how to keep the virus dormant and mono-like symptoms return. It is treated like mono - rest and extra fluids, and can take about as long to resolve.
In even rarer cases, it never resolves, but just goes through better and worse periods. That's were I live. I essentially have permanent mono symptoms that just get better and worse. Took years for my doctor to figure it out because it's so rare.

I'm feeling significantly better today. I was reading yesterday about malabsorption and considered that could be the problem, so I consumed massive quantities of calories, vitamins, etc. and it seemed to help quite a bit. I hope it continues to improve!

For me it’s been a part of autistic burnout. A fatigue that doesn’t get better from sleeping or a week off, not lifted by anything. I feel for you.
I have fatigue issues, also.
I am trying to assess exactly why.
Could you recommend some medication for me? <joke> :p

For a while now, I've had the worst fatigue I've ever had. I spend most of the day in bed. A couple days ago, I slept almost 20 hours straight. I don't have any other symptoms. Obviously, I should ask a doctor but I'm wondering if anyone has ever experienced anything similar. It's not usually sleepiness, just exhaustion, an exhaustion that usually physically hurts. Ritalin, caffeine, vitamins, minerals, amino acids, food, water, and other things have made little to no difference.
Do they still talk about "long COVID"?
Or has it been refuted?

New Threads

Top Bottom