• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Expand "About" section

Shamar

V.I.P Member
I find when I reply to threads that I frequently write the same things about my situation and background. I believe some of it may be relevant or useful to new members, yet I don't like repeating myself to members who had seen it all many times before. I would like to suggest expanding the About section of the profiles to include a section for background and similar aspects. For example, I would include for myself when I was diagnosed, along with my co-comorbidities, an explanation of my username and avatar, and other information. I realize many people might be uncomfortable making this information public, and filling it out would be entirely optional. I believe something like this would help to get us all to know each other a little better. For those who have been here for a while, much of this is public, but it might help newcomers, and by referring to this section could avoid repeating ourselves.

Any thoughts or opinions?

I think it's not a bad idea. For starters I would have liked to have been able to list what my diagnosis actually is instead of only being able to choose from a limited drop down menu.

It might also be useful if I was able to write a short introductory blurb about myself in there too. Just some basic background information so people can have a better idea of who they're talking to if they don't already know me.

Other than that, when I first joined I did start a few threads with stories that I imagined I'd be repeating often and that worked out handy, if I want to refer to a story about myself it's easy to link to it.

I wish more people would list their age and what country they're in, it helps with the way in which we respond to posts.

I put a lot of info in my "About" field.

I use blog posts built into individual forums for oft-repeated anecdotes, advice, resources, etc.
I use Blogger when a blog post is relevant to more than one forum.

I wish more people would list their age and what country they're in, it helps with the way in which we respond to posts.
I totally agree with this. It would be useful if people could put their country beneath their avatar, it would help others give more relevant advice if they know what country the person is in.

I would like to suggest expanding the About section of the profiles to include a section for background and similar aspects
I think we already have this. There's an About field. I don't know if it has any limits on amount of content. It doesn't look like you've filled yours in. When you look at someone's profile it appears above all the age, diagnosis stuff.

I find when I reply to threads that I frequently write the same things about my situation and background. I believe some of it may be relevant or useful to new members, yet I don't like repeating myself to members who had seen it all many times before. I would like to suggest expanding the About section of the profiles to include a section for background and similar aspects. For example, I would include for myself when I was diagnosed, along with my co-comorbidities, an explanation of my username and avatar, and other information. I realize many people might be uncomfortable making this information public, and filling it out would be entirely optional. I believe something like this would help to get us all to know each other a little better. For those who have been here for a while, much of this is public, but it might help newcomers, and by referring to this section could avoid repeating ourselves.

Any thoughts or opinions?
Does anyone actually read "about" sections?

@Shamar

Can’t you fit what you want to in the existing “About” section on your profile page?

Accessed through your “account details.”

1693271266846.jpeg

I have looked for this several times, but I am unable to access it or find it. How do I do this?

Click on your avatar in the upper right corner and Choose "Your Account."
Then, you should have an option for "Account Details."

0AA57E88-948C-4CA4-90E8-6D0EBA0B52A6_1_201_a.jpeg

Account Details should bring you to this screen:

49928DC1-C8F3-4730-ACA2-BF234492A364_1_201_a.jpeg

Scroll down to the About section:

1C654AA7-6968-43C1-BF62-3D9C6EDABEE1.png

1695213714027.png

1695213899031.png

@Rodafina
I followed your Show & Tell and took screenshots of some of it.

I took screenshots of part one and part three.

It's close to impossible for me to follow material that is on a black background.

Even though I see that the information is the same, it just
doesn't register with me as being *the same.*

Maybe it works that way with some other people.
I don't know.
The subject has not come up in any conversations I have had with other people.

I found it and added the appropriate information. I have been in that section several times and have no idea how I missed it (probably didn't scroll down far enough). Thanks both of you for the help.

New Threads

Top Bottom