• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Executive Functioning... Help!

Gonna look at all the replies later for myself. I suffer from EFD big time. Sleep, routine, lists, pneomonic devices, quiet, music sometime, and also been using tcsd (the brain stimulator) is one such device. It helps but many of the lead positions while enhancing cognition also cause irritability which I need like a hole in the head. Trouble controlling emotions. Poor frustration tolerance, thats me. So yes, things are so hard and take so long. Hate it when people complain they are bored. I am always behind, just trying to get stuff done all the time. Work is sooo challenging, too. Do you also get lost a lot? Drive like a drunk? Forget faces and names?

Gonna look at all the replies later for myself. I suffer from EFD big time. Sleep, routine, lists, pneomonic devices, quiet, music sometime, and also been using tcsd (the brain stimulator) is one such device. It helps but many of the lead positions while enhancing cognition also cause irritability which I need like a hole in the head. Trouble controlling emotions. Poor frustration tolerance, thats me. So yes, things are so hard and take so long. Hate it when people complain they are bored. I am always behind, just trying to get stuff done all the time. Work is sooo challenging, too. Do you also get lost a lot? Drive like a drunk? Forget faces and names?

I cannot remember names for the life of me. The person has to be impactful for me to remember their name. I struggle staying organized at work especially when I have to do the work by myself. I struggle to keep my house organized, stay on a routine, and I do silly things that other people love pointing out. It took me forever to get my license because I have an issue performing cognitive tasks while people are watching me. I drive amazing by myself though. I am terrible with directions and will drive past something like 3 times sometimes if I'm not familiar with the area.

I've developed wacky rules - all objects such as cutlery, clean & dirty clothes, different classes of paperwork - "has to migrate" towards its core locality within 24 hours of being "deliberately" put somewhere else, that way I don't stress myself up but I know there's going to be a plan that will work.

Lately I've been using a phone app called CogniFit (no subscription). According to assessment my executive function is below average expected for my age (which was expected :rolleyes:), with low scores in Shifting (flexibility in changing from task to task) and Processing Speed (ability to quickly process received information or create an alternative plan in case the first one didn't work out) and higher scores in Focused Attention and Working Memory. Not sure if the games in the app can help in any way in improving the performance, but at least it gives some insight into what exactly needs to be improved.

Definitely not going to subscribe to anything, it's way overpriced! So only as a curio.

Last edited:
Lately I've been using a phone app called CogniFit (no subscription). According to assessment my executive function is below average expected for my age (which was expected :rolleyes:), with low scores in Shifting (flexibility in changing from task to task) and Processing Speed (ability to quickly process received information or create an alternative plan in case the first one didn't work out) and higher scores in Focused Attention and Working Memory. Not sure if the games in the app can help in any way in improving the performance, but at least it gives some insight into what exactly needs to be improved.

Definitely not going to subscribe to anything, it's way overpriced! So only as a curio.
Thank you so much! That's actually very helpful :smiley:

Get plenty of sleep. It's amazing how much worse one functions when sleep is disrupted.

Sleep is part of the process to clear toxins from the brain, so I agree that it helps.

Are we 'brainwashed' during sleep? Cerebrospinal fluid washes in and out of brain during sleep

This also comports with current theories that autism and its associated issue with executive functioning involves problems with the flow of cerebrospinal fluid in the brain.

The Link between Cerebrospinal Fluid (CSF) and Autism

Hi! Well I've been struggling with the same issue since ever and now, due to the quarantine I've been trying to find a solution. You see, my routines are way too rigorous and strict and I can't handle any change 'cause I immediately start feeling useless. But I also struggle to follow any schedule and incorporating any new activities or tasks to my daily routine. Keeping track of my personal projects and finishing them is really hard for me even if I really want to do it. When I have no external pressure, I'm a mess.

Anyways I still try very hard to follow a schedule and be flexible. Yesterday I started using an App called Tiimo and it's really useful, actually, it's been developed for people with ADHD and ASD. Now I'm trying this: I have a morning and night routine, I have a 'to do' list but not just any list, I created one that allows me to categorize even the smallest tasks, and finally, I set an amount of time for every task and activity.

I recently found out that I'm more likely to get something done if I stick it right after or before any of the activities I do every day no matter what. For example, wake up, get a shower, brush my teeth, have breakfast or lunch, etc. If I want to do laundry and not just forget it I have to set an alarm to remind me before or after one of those things I mentioned before and it gets easier. But if I write a task and I don't set an alarm or I don't give it a specific hour then I just forget it or I remember to do it right when I am chilling in my couch, drinking hot chocolate, watching social media and I tell myself "you've got to do this after you finish your hot chocolate" and we all know it's never going to happen.

So, I know it's a lot of thinking but maybe you have to see what helps you the most and what works for you :)

Let me know if I helped you in some way!

Hi, have you ever experienced complete executive function shutdown due to burnout form stress?

I have been so burnout that its been a year since I hit the rock bottom and started getting better and I am still not fully "myself". I'm still not at a place I was before burnout and I am scared I never will be again. I miss my way of thinking and connecting the dots. I hope to get it back.

I was completely miserable before I was aware of my autism and its role in my burnout and loss of functioning. Now I have the strenght and selfcompasion to work on getting better. (selfdiagnosed two months ago, I postponed getting official test because of coronavirus situation)

Since learning about it, my progress thoward better mental state accelerated because I became aware of my taking care of my sensory issues first, and importance of stimming.

Also, I realized I don't want others to exploit my autistic "superpowers" anymore, I want to save my energy for myself and setting up life to better suit me.

PS Sorry for the bad spelling.

Aw yes! It happens to me all the time. Actually my family used to think I was just lazy and due to the quarantine, they see me struggle with anxiety for being confined and the way that this situation drains my energy and drops my executive functioning to the ground. Now I'm working on it and I feel I'm myself again but the first two weeks was just awful.

Hi, have you ever experienced complete executive function shutdown due to burnout form stress?

I have been so burnout that its been a year since I hit the rock bottom and started getting better and I am still not fully "myself". I'm still not at a place I was before burnout and I am scared I never will be again. I miss my way of thinking and connecting the dots. I hope to get it back.

I was completely miserable before I was aware of my autism and its role in my burnout and loss of functioning. Now I have the strenght and selfcompasion to work on getting better. (selfdiagnosed two months ago, I postponed getting official test because of coronavirus situation)

Since learning about it, my progress thoward better mental state accelerated because I became aware of my taking care of my sensory issues first, and importance of stimming.

Also, I realized I don't want others to exploit my autistic "superpowers" anymore, I want to save my energy for myself and setting up life to better suit me.

PS Sorry for the bad spelling.
Let it go, and learn how to change the track. Train yourself to change focus. Use music, go for a jog outside really quick. Listen to the birds chirp instead your mind

I do suffer with issues regarding executive functioning & too much internal procrastination. I'm doing much better than I used to after doing some self study. I will post a video link of a YouTuber who's project I've been following because I feel it may be useful, I was surprised he took time & the tangent to outlay his method. I really like his music & his inventions. :)

I have huge issues with motivations and immediate attention. Maybe this is an executive disorder altough I have a clear plan but it fails short because I think ahead too much.

I'm not a fan of high level labelling because it misses the core. It is like if you go to visit an eye doctor and get diagnosis of being in the blindness spectrum which can be corrected with glasses.

Last edited:
I have huge issues with motivations and immediate attention. Maybe this is an executive disorder altough I have a clear plan but it fails short because I think ahead too much.

I'm not a fan of high level labelling because it misses the core. It is like if you go to visit an eye doctor and get diagnosis of being in the blindness spectrum which can be corrected with glasses.

Your post really rings with me. For years I would formulate what I thought were foolproof plans. Later when my plans fell through I would be bummed out and at a loss for why. Does that sound at all familiar? I struggled for a long time to understand how and why that happened so soften. With the help of a neurotypical friend who was willing to be straight with me, and my understanding of Autism, I think that I figured it out.

Aspies are very intelligent and logical. We draw upon those traits when formulating our grandiose plans. Neurotypicals do the same but they also utilize their intuition to see ahead. That is the critical difference. One of the hallmarks of being an Aspie is a deficit in the area of intuition. That is a whole other discussion but its why we struggle to understand so many things in life. It's also why we sometimes appear to be clueless in the eyes of a neurotypical who does not understand what it means to be on the spectrum.

What I have learned to do is make a fair amount investigation an integral part of making plans. That includes developing some Google Fu. I google my idea to see if anyone else has already tried it. You would be surprised at how many other people have had the same idea, and are willing to tell their story. I know that I make it sound simple when its not, but it is very important. Investigation is a critical step in planning for anything in life no matter how big or small. That is a neurotypical behavior that those of us on the spectrum need to adopt.

In short, asking a lot of questions when formulating plans can save you a lot of grief.

There is a lot of data a quick google search away.

I don't have specific links but I can recommend books such as 'Mindset: The New Psychology of Success' and 'Challenging Mindset', as well as Android phone app 'The Growth Mindset'. All three contain a discussion on a set of differences between growth and fixed mindset, along with anecdotes and examples, not very scientific but still worth consideration.

If you don't feel like reading check out youtube videos such as:
or

It's not really about executive function itself but can help to stop seeing your mistakes as failures and see them as opportunities to learn instead.
Hi and thanks so much for your support regonised my set mindset and am motivated to move towards a growth one that will 'put in the effort and not accept the message for educationalists that i was 'not very clever' gonna do things instead of advoiding what i find hard to advoid the judgements of others, so again thanks.

Your post really rings with me. For years I would formulate what I thought were foolproof plans. Later when my plans fell through I would be bummed out and at a loss for why. Does that sound at all familiar? I struggled for a long time to understand how and why that happened so soften. With the help of a neurotypical friend who was willing to be straight with me, and my understanding of Autism, I think that I figured it out.

Aspies are very intelligent and logical. We draw upon those traits when formulating our grandiose plans. Neurotypicals do the same but they also utilize their intuition to see ahead. That is the critical difference. One of the hallmarks of being an Aspie is a deficit in the area of intuition. That is a whole other discussion but its why we struggle to understand so many things in life. It's also why we sometimes appear to be clueless in the eyes of a neurotypical who does not understand what it means to be on the spectrum.

What I have learned to do is make a fair amount investigation an integral part of making plans. That includes developing some Google Fu. I google my idea to see if anyone else has already tried it. You would be surprised at how many other people have had the same idea, and are willing to tell their story. I know that I make it sound simple when its not, but it is very important. Investigation is a critical step in planning for anything in life no matter how big or small. That is a neurotypical behavior that those of us on the spectrum need to adopt.

In short, asking a lot of questions when formulating plans can save you a lot of grief.

I think my issue lies in lack self assertion, putting myself down and also very schizoid mindset which is full of nihilism. My plans are never detailed but more like "we are all going to die anyway and universe is limited". Thinking way too much ahead in this scale. In a way people call me very intuitive who can not settle down and refuses to have commitments because it will limit my life in future. Free of shackles while having acknowledged of being tied down by the universe. I do not know how to solve this contradiction. It is like philosophical ADHD. It is what Carl Jung called extraverted intuition - a person who has gotten stuck by his exploratory mind and can not live life due to this. Having morally oriented amoral life that sees what is right but does not share values with the surrounding society. I have basically questioned my right to exist as well as everyone others right to exist and continue life that continues human suffering.
At the same time I have tons of unfinished projects that I drop when I can not invest my interest in it. I still start lots of projects but never finish. I just prefer to keep others away from my recklessness so I refuse to have relationship commitments which makes me bit autistic because I see personal human relationship as amoral and wrong because of randomness of our life. Causing stress to others would be unforgivable for me like dying in a car crash. Too much responsibility that I can not handle as well as not any other human being. I'm like Doc Brown. It is like I think I'm so bad person that I do not deserve and desire to have an ordinary life and friends. All what I like to do with people are prosocial acts like solving their complicated problems because I love problem solving but I can not motivate myself to do practical deeds for them. I do not care about my life as being Joe Doe. I have no existential anxiety about tomorrow because **** happens if it happens but I keep myself in life because I love new discoveries and thinking about science, doing experiments and learning new stuff. So my dream would be of living a life what Tesla had or something and laughing like a maniac in my lab while a lightning strikes nearby.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom