• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Executive Functioning checklist

i have trouble with 6, 8 & 9.

i have to write a schedule for almost everything i do or i cant function well. it can feel slightly humiliating.

From little things (dressing, making a recipe) to big things (performing tasks at a job) to even bigger things (understanding how to plan a life ), executive functioning challenges sure do rock my world! :p Making lists and using a calendar with big write-in blocks helps me some. :) Ultimately, I need patience with myself, (D'oh!) and a sense of humor! :D

Funniest executive functioning goof-up: When I suddenly both have to blow my nose really bad, and have to pee really bad, and I do the wrong thing first! :laughing:

My working memory [7-9, pretty much] is hard to rely on. Not because as a hole I feel it is weak, but because it's almost like there are very specific holes in how well it functions. I really am aware of them.

Self-monitoring [5] is touch and go... lately it's always off doing something else, so I don't realize I'm headed in completely the wrong direction. The reason seems it is worse lately is because it is actually always really bad- if i am not very aware that I need to check where I am in a task a bunch of times, i get quite easily lost.

Lately, I keep forgetting to consciously check where I am and reassess my progress at all. In this link it discusses those things like this is often something people/children do- it is, but it is not as often a very conscious effort... unless you have executive functioning issues :D [like the main audience of this community]

Task initiation [6] is naturally a challenge, but I've been able to get used to working against it by breaking things down. When I'm more tired, have fewer resources, I have much more difficulty figuring out how to start and then what to do after that.

bah! #5 is me all day everyday. "how on earth did screw THAT up?" *scratches head*. and working-memory is largely selective. damn it all.

When I was a child I was messy, disorganized, forgetful and forever losing things - I still have difficulties with most of these areas, but have found coping mechanisms for many or them. I find it hard to stay organized and initiate tasks, and my working memory isn't that brilliant, either.

#2 & #3 have always been problems for me but less of an issue of the last couple of years (I'm currently 32).

#6 & #9 are still challenges

#2, emotional control, really depends on the context. I've never had the extreme issues presented by the example - temper tantrums over small things - i was always calm and well behaved as a child. But I am easily upset i just hide it, and when i get upset i get really upset and stay upset for quite a while. Longer than i should be anyways.

#3, flexible thinking, yeah that's an issue. I can be stubborn about doing a task the way i usually do it, stubborn to a fault really. If the chosen method isn't working, finding a new way to do it to get the desired results can prove difficult.

#6, task initiation, hell yes that's an issue. Mostly an issue of switching tasks, especially if the original task isn't finished. Mom had a hell of a time getting me to the dinner table as a kid if i was watching a tv show or playing a video game. Even now getting started on homework is hard. I have to set it at a specific time or after a specific event, like after dinner, or it has no chance of getting done simply because i won't start it voluntarily.

#7, working memory, yes that's an issue. I didn't realize it was such an issue till i started working as a cashier - if i have to give change, i'll usually remember the dollar amount but by the time i get the dollar amount out i've forgotten the change that was due and have to look again to see what was due. Anything that has to do with copying a number down, really. With UPCs at work, typing them in when something wont ring up, i literally have to cover up with my finger what i've already typed in or i get visually 'lost' and have no idea what part of the UPC code i just typed in and need to continue typing from.

#9, auditory working memory, is horrible. Idk if it has anything to do with the fact im hyper sensitive to sound but whatever. Verbal information overload is common for me.

I like this, it is so clearly laid out. I'll have to share it with some people.

3 (flexible thinking) is a mixed bag, I come up with alternatives easily, but then the rigidity comes in. If there is a problem, I'll just get bigger and bigger hammers. 4,5,6,7 are troublesome. I'm disorganized like a scrap yard, really need specifically stated goals and outcomes, can't get started on things unless I'm really motivated or interested, and my attention is not good. 9 is a problem if there are other distractions.

Luckily, 8 (visual/spatial) is really strong for me and I rely on it heavily. And thankfully I am able to use my diverse way of looking at physical problems, my strong observation skills and general tenacity to keep myself employed. Otherwise, I'd have to go live in the woods. (That might not be so bad!)

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom