• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Excuse me, Aren't you new?

It sounds more like what our system tried to be at first...if you're going to support your people when they need it, then do so without taking away their self respect in the process.

Everyone IS entitled to a roof, basic necessities; to feel safe and have somewhere to put their stuff. But unfortunately, the more compassionate the system, the more open to abuse it is too.

But we have to look after our people. We have to care for the children. Help those who need it at the point of need. And, countries like ours could easily afford it, even if some will always take advantage, especially if they stop throwing money at war (very profitable) and buying nuclear weapons and their replacements, or even just stopping big corporations from paying very little or no tax.

How about we go further still? A basic income guaranteed to ever adult. Available and affordable housing, free healthcare and education, as a right, so that instead of having to survive, we are free to do what we love, or find out what that is. Imagine who we might become then.
Just think about it. A population insecure in their shelter, sustenance, and health are easily manipulated.

Okay I know I said I wasnt going to add more here but this bit popped into my head randomly so I may as well point it out too.

The idea of non-traditional jobs.

For instance, there's a developer I met... an indie dev... works on his own game entirely by himself. Nobody else helps him. It aint some giant blockbuster he's making, no Call of Duty or whatever. Rather it's a game that looks like it's made out of a DOS prompt (on purpose). A rather odd niche product. But one that found its audience. The guy ended up quitting his "actual" job because he could now just work on the game... that, now, IS his job. No corporation, no big publisher, no slimy boss breathing down his neck because there is no boss at all. He aint making crazy amounts of money or anything. But it's enough to pay for what needs to be paid for, while he is able to work on something he loves, instead of working for someone he hates.

And it's a type of "job" that would have been bloody unthinkable back in, say, 2000. Back then, you wanted to enter that industry, well.... better get learnin' at one of them colleges and get your resume out to the big guys, because that's where the action was. The ONLY action.

That changed though, and that guy is far from the only one in his type of position. But someone like that wont even land on the radar for most people when they think of "jobs" or employment. And they have zero connection to any company (other than a vendor like Steam, and that's *very* basic), nobody trying to suck them dry.

Someone like that, at some point, leaves a "traditional" job, but again, not because of laziness or whatever... they just realized that they now have OPTIONS. Options that didnt exist before. And dagnabit, they got the heck up and just plain did it.

That's just within the gaming industry/hobby. And it's not the only example related to it (Youtubers and Twitch streamers, for instance). With other industries/hobbies/whatever, I bet there's plenty of "non-jobs" that I've never actually heard of, but that ARE there. And when someone jumps to one of those, they are leaving the traditional job market behind.

So yeah, just a thought on that.

It seems strange when I go out into the world of retail since COVID.
Stores shut down registers to a minimum. Dressing rooms were closed. Few workers or shoppers.
They are still empty of people.

Fast food places shut down indoor dining and survive on three people working the drive thru.
Restaurants of all types started shutting down early in evenings, still do.
Very few customers. Used to be packed.

Supermarkets still have many shoppers. People always need food.
But, they are strange in their own ways.
One week the dairy section is almost empty. The next it might be meats. Or maybe there
is a one limit per customer sign on the ketchup.
Never did understand toilet paper hoarding until that was limited also or none at all.
Ask anyone at any of these places why, and the answer is understaffed.

Why?
Did people decide it was nicer not working when they got a taste of it during the pandemic?
If so, how are they living? There were no shortages of employees before. Why now?

I also grew up in the times when one parent worked, one stayed at home and took care of the kids.
Budgets were tight, but, we made due.
When the kids were no longer kids, they went out into the world of finding a job.
Whether high school grad or college grad.
It wasn't easy most times to find a first job and many were glad to get hired as a cashier,
work in retail stores or fast food. Just to have a job to get started in life.

What happened in two years that now those types of jobs don't seem good enough?
Not everyone can work from home. The world doesn't run on apps and robots, yet.
Certainly not everyone is going to live in a tent on the street with daily trips to the food pantry
to sit all day with their nose in a smart phone.

It is a strange new world in just two years. How are families making a living?
Minimum wage is up. Stores were full of employes and customers before.

Lack of drivers is causing issues combined with on line shopping. At least up here the shipper that delivers milk is not the same as one who delivers meat. An AZ license is gold right now. Us baby boomers retiring up here is causing our issues,
restaurants have to change their business model. Went for diner last week two hours to get meal no shortage of waiters but rather cooks.

My youngest son fixes robots, he's laughing. He was waiting for this shortage saw it coming. When us boomers pass, lots of opportunities for him. also cross trained as a cabinet maker.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom