• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Excuse me, Aren't you new?

Aspychata

Serenity waves, beachy vibes
V.I.P Member
Not sure what's up these days with retail and restaurants but every time l go to a store, or restaurant, or bank,, or gym, it's different employees. It seems like employees last on the average a month then they are out door. Was this always like this, or are there more bullies in the workforce, or people are just lazy, or gas prices are to high?

After being bullied in my last job, l decided to stop working because even if you stand up to them, they become more determined to get you fired.

Is this the new economy, throw away disposable employees?

Not sure what's up these days with retail and restaurants but every time l go to a store, or restaurant, or bank,, or gym, it's different employees. It seems like employees last on the average a month then they are out door. Was this always like this, or are there more bullies in the workforce, or people are just lazy, or gas prices are to high?

After being bullied in my last job, l decided to stop working because even if you stand up to them, they become more determined to get you fired.

I don't ever recall an economy quite like this one. The good, the bad, and what so many don't appear to see what's coming.

Was disconcerting to hear college grads all anxious to take their new careers at high salaries given the employment situation being so good (at the moment). Where I suppose many in the service industry are taking advantage of the situation which appears to favor employees over employers. Did I mention "at the moment" ? ;)

Meanwhile the end of the economy's next fiscal quarter is rapidly approaching. And there's a storm coming. People are working, but consumers aren't buying. Mixed messages with potentially two back-to-back bad fiscal quarters plus alarming inflation and the pirates begin to show their scurvy faces.

"RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR". :eek:

Last edited:
Meanwhile the end of the economy's next fiscal quarter is rapidly approaching. And there's a storm coming. People are working, but consumers aren't buying. Mixed messages with potentially two back-to-back bad fiscal quarters plus alarming inflation and the pirates begin to show their scurvy faces.

"RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR". :eek:

And Dow Jones is on its longest weekly losing streak since 1923.

:screamcat: :eek:

You are seeing the result of the MBA mindset which teaches that everybody is replaceable (except themselves). The fungibility of employees means that nobody is valued. that has led to high turnover, a decline in quality, and loss of institutional memory, all in the pursuit of profit. The results are things like the Boeing 737 Max crashes or Abbott killing babies with contaminated formula. The most malignant lie that I have encountered in my lifetime is "corporations only exist to maximize shareholder value."

Last edited:
I have seen some of the same here and one interesting thing that is happening, is that people give up more easily because they don't have to work to survive. My grandparents generation had to work. If they didn't work, they would die. They had no choice.

But now we live in a rich nanny state that is dripping with oil money and it's always possible to get help from the nanny. It's a little worrying, I see young people quit much faster than they used to. And many of them want to be a celebrity on instagram instead. Why work when you can post pics of yourself drinking caffe latte. The world sure changed.

Last edited:
I have seen some of the same here and one interesting thing that is happening, is that people give up more easily because they don't have to work to survive. My grandparents generation had to work. When I think about how hard they worked and for how long, it's a little unreal. My generation is a little bit more spoiled. A little softer. Probably because of all their hard work. If they didn't work, they would die. They had no choice.

My granddad was a lumberjack and he traveled to the places where he could work. He had to, he worked one place and when the work dried up, he grabbed his tools and traveled to another place. Very hard work non stop, he was made of iron.

But now we live in a filthy rich nanny state that is dripping with oil money and it's always possible to get help from the nanny. It's a little worrying, I see young people quit much faster than they used to. And many of them want to be a celebrity on instagram instead. Why work when you can post pics of yourself drinking caffe latte. It's a little worrying, the world sure changed.

To be fair, I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing that people get away with with working less. That's what we should be aiming for anyways (in my opinion). It is a problem however that there are still a lot of people who do need to work like your granddad to survive.

I have seen some of the same here and one interesting thing that is happening, is that people give up more easily because they don't have to work to survive. My grandparents generation had to work. If they didn't work, they would die. They had no choice. But now we live in a nanny-state and it's always possible to get help from the nanny. It's a little worrying, I see young people quit much faster than they used to. And many of them want to be a celebrity on instagram instead. Why work when you can post pics of yourself drinking caffe latte. It's a little worrying, the world sure changed.
It's a good point.

Varying levels of nannying of course, depending on which system, but in the UK, with our version of the welfare state, where it used to be easier to get help, it is a lot harder now. Help is still available, but it's not been an easy ride in a long time.

Here, if you quit your job without very good reason, you have to wait a few months before you receive a penny. And you will receive enough to live, if you are prepared to let go of...pubs, clubs, restaurants, cigarettes, petrol, decent food, going out, etc. Find yourself another job real quick or struggle feeling the lack.

If you simplify your life though, you can live on it, but you'll still have to work eventually, only for free, doing charity things, or whatever the system says you need to partake in, or they just stop your money until you agree, so you have to give something back to the community while you are being supported. No easy ride.

Yes, for some, longterm support happens, especially in areas of high unemployment or having mental health issues, which you will experience because being nannied like this has a price.

But, you are right, by not having to work to survive, and always knowing that, does make us softer for sure. But it's hard to do a job just to survive when you hate it. So many hate what they do for no money. It's hard to change things and so easy just to keep doing it. Mortgage, car payments, etc, people become trapped. Soul destroying.

And yes, the world is changing, but then it needs to. We need to.

If only people could do something they love, that is fulfilling, but how to get there if you never decide to give up the meaningless?

We do have some rules here, but we also have one basic rule that applies to everyone. The state is responsible if you don't have food and a roof over your head. So even if it's your own fault that you don't have it, the state still must help you. It's the law. As you can imagine, some take advantage of it. And this is a high cost country, so we have people coming from low cost countries and they can't belive the amount of money the get for free. If you have kids, you're even more entitled to get help. It's a big and strong safety net.
It sounds more like what our system tried to be at first...if you're going to support your people when they need it, then do so without taking away their self respect in the process.

Everyone IS entitled to a roof, basic necessities; to feel safe and have somewhere to put their stuff. But unfortunately, the more compassionate the system, the more open to abuse it is too.

But we have to look after our people. We have to care for the children. Help those who need it at the point of need. And, countries like ours could easily afford it, even if some will always take advantage, especially if they stop throwing money at war (very profitable) and buying nuclear weapons and their replacements, or even just stopping big corporations from paying very little or no tax.

How about we go further still? A basic income guaranteed to ever adult. Available and affordable housing, free healthcare and education, as a right, so that instead of having to survive, we are free to do what we love, or find out what that is. Imagine who we might become then.

Last edited:
In the few good remaing jobs, there is firece competition.

Someone suggested l should be a personal trainer, however l am quite nervous of being harassed for something else, then if l say no, my car will be damaged. They will bad-mouth me, etc. This happened when l worked as bartender. This person felt l was obligated to go out with him.

Too much stress for me to deal with. Better to be a programmer. Or a anonymous cashier. But l miss the mom and pop restaurants that treated employees like family.

One other thing that I've noticed (as I've been following this one)

There's been this trend lately where people are getting more and more fed up with bad treatment from a lot of the corporate giants (and even a lot of smaller companies). As in, finally acting on it. Employee abuse has been *BAD* for a very, very long time. I havent worked in many years now, but even back when I did, it was already terrible. I still remember one employee (at a large "superstore") getting written up (and later fired) for having heat stroke on company time. Freaking. Heat. Stroke. Because corporate decided that making employees stand out in what was 100 degree heat at the time in an open-air plant section was an okay thing to do. For hours on end, and it didnt matter if you were starting to feel like you might pass out: Get out there and bring the fatcats some money (while making very little yourself). And believe me: That was just the start. I saw much worse as time went on (and not just at that place). I came more than a little close to totally snapping multiple times myself. I was in a dark place at the time, I'll just put it that way. If you were to see what I was like back then, my personality was the polar opposite of what it is now. No positivity and all "friendliness" was forced through gritted teeth, the real emotion was pretty much just constant anger. Entirely because of jobs like THOSE. It took me many years to finally get past that.

Lately, more and more, people are just finally saying "you know what? Heck with this, I've had enough" and moving to try a different job somewhere else. Even the gaming industry, which is *horribly* corrupt (and dangerous... yes, really) has had a lot of employees FINALLY taking a stand for themselves and/or freaking out (though it took someone freaking dying to finally break the camel's back). Which has gotten to the point where it's done some heavy damage to what previously seemed like invincible companies. Reputations for more than a few of them are in complete shambles and movements to finally unionize have begun. Among other things, such as investigations...

But yeah, people getting fed up, stuff like that.

Obviously that's not the case for *everyone*. So many different cases in many types of jobs and everyone's situation is their own, different from one another. And not all workplaces are run by terrible monsters. It's just something I wanted to point out. Not everyone leaves because of laziness (I've heard so many people say that this MUST be the reason), and many will go through... some pretty nasty stuff, in jobs where you arent valued whatsoever.

Also for the record, working retail is like an infinite nightmare. Even when your boss isnt being total slime. Anyone who has been in retail knows *exactly* what I mean. The company aint the only one that can abuse you there. The more traffic the place has, the worse it will be. I absolutely understand the despair and desire to escape that goes with that line of work.

...Sorry that was so long, this topic also gets me ranting. Every time. Thinking about this stuff bothered me more than I thought it would. Anything that brings back memories of my time at those sorts of places wrecks my mood really fast and for quite awhile, so I probably wont say more past this point. Bah. I'm gonna go to bed now.

These are great points @Misery.

Abuse of employees. Lately l see sales representative jobs that you are selling a product to retail but you must have your own car. Is anybody realizing that gas, cars, and repairs are now impossible for many.

Maybe social media has brought a new awareness to more people of the injustice of poor company policies and how it impacts our quality of life. So people are protesting with their feet and walked out of jobs.

Last edited:

I think you are being exposed to two different things:

A)The precariat, the new emerging social class. Wery well explained in this video from 5 years ago:

B) The great resignation, explained in this video:

I agree with many of you that a crissis may be comming.

A Wells Fargo bank closed down for a month here because they couldn't hire. My bank manager asked me if l wanted a job.

The next 10 jobs that will disappear according to Finance Online.com are:

1. Cashier
Due to Amazon, robots, Grubhub

2. Telemarketers,
Robo calls, overseas robo calls

3. Freight/Stock jobs
Amazon

4. Newspaper Delivery

5. Travel Agent
Better Apps

6. Postal worker
More people using email

7. Taxi Dispatcher
Telephone Apps

8. Word processer
Dictate voice recognition software has vastly improved.

9. Librarian
Libraries are closing

10. Media Manager
This generation grew up online and its just part of the job descript.

Last edited:
Use baby boomers have or are retiring, massive labour shortage, seen this coming years ago. Here in Canada we need immigrants. The biggest shortage in the next few years will be skilled trades in the building industry ( houses) I'M watching all my neighbors selling there houses for inflated prices, then re-buying somewhere else for inflated prices. WE buy RIETS realestate investment trust. stocks seeing the connections as the houses get rented. the long term plan is as the price of land goes up they need to increase the density as the immigrants got to live some where. houses are cheap the land is not.

Another perspective: It could be that many places are operating significantly understaffed. I can tell you for sure, if every day is about getting your "rear end kicked", clocking in knowing full well you are going to be behind, never going to get your work done, along with your customers and boss complaining about it,...it's a lot of stress. The kind of stress that causes people to just quit.

One thing CoVID did was gut the numbers of people working,...especially those with families. Childcare is a HUGE expense and before CoVID there were a number of childcare centers open for working families. During CoVID, they basically shut down. Some people learned to work from home. My neighbor runs a home business now. So, now,...like when we were kids in the 60's and 70's,...it's often only 1 person, a father or a mother that leaves the home to work,...and one stays home. People figured out how to budget with one income, NO childcare expenses, less gasoline use, cheaper to have meals at home,...etc. So,...yes,...the workforce has been gutted, businesses are operating understaffed, and those that are working are under a tremendous amount of added stress,...which results in an increased amount of employee turnover.

The last place l worked at offered a 500 bonus to sign on. They now raised it to 1000 dollars.

Being understaffed definitely changes everything.

Use baby boomers have or are retiring, massive labour shortage, seen this coming years ago. Here in Canada we need immigrants. The biggest shortage in the next few years will be skilled trades in the building industry ( houses) I'M watching all my neighbors selling there houses for inflated prices, then re-buying somewhere else for inflated prices. WE buy RIETS realestate investment trust. stocks seeing the connections as the houses get rented. the long term plan is as the price of land goes up they need to increase the density as the immigrants got to live some where. houses are cheap the land is not.

I would live in a truck-home if I were an inmigrant there.

Some of our provinces are in big trouble just losing people too quickly. dying or retiring. Amazing shortage of truck drivers Have G license they will train to AZ. just apply through proper channels.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom