• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Eurovision

xudo

something and nothing
I realise that the majority of people here aren't from the UK or Europe, so I'm not sure how many of you will have heard or be interested in Eurovision.

I LOVE IT. One of our friends is coming over tomorrow night so that we can watch the final. I did watch a little bit of one of the semi-finals the other day, and although it would seem that yet again, it's going to be a more serious affair...there was an act from Czech Republic who didn't hit a single note in his song so that was good :D

I know that a lot of people in this country (UK) see Eurovision as a joke (which yes, it kind of is) and we never win because of the political voting that goes on, but I just love how camp and ridiculous it usually is. Also, Graham Norton has done a fantastic job since he took over from Sir Terry Wogan.

I realise that the majority of people here aren't from the UK or Europe, so I'm not sure how many of you will have heard or be interested in Eurovision.

It was the most popular thing on twitter following the semi-final apparently, I'd say it's probably popular across no european countries too. We're gonna be rated so low because they'll wanna punish us for leaving their precious EU club.

It was the most popular thing on twitter following the semi-final apparently, I'd say it's probably popular across no european countries too. We're gonna be rated so low because they'll wanna punish us for leaving their precious EU club.

With all due respect, Britain usually comes somewhere near the bottom every year in the Eurovision.
I don't even bother watching it for that reason.

LOVE Eurovision.
I like the whole theatrical element that goes with the songs even though they are usually rather cliche.
It reminds me of a huge rock esteddfod.
I think the quality of performers has plummeted somewhat in recent years, which is a shame.
Australian performers were allowed to enter for the first time last year.

With all due respect, Britain usually comes somewhere near the bottom every year in the Eurovision.
I don't even bother watching it for that reason.

Yes, I hardly think Brexit (I hate that portmanteau) will have that much of an effect as we're always waaay down the rankings anyway. I enjoy watching for all the other countries (sometimes baffling) entries.

Is it back on tv now?

Yes, although I don't remember it not being on TV? It's on BBC One tomorrow night at 8pm :)

I think the quality of performers has plummeted somewhat in recent years, which is a shame.

For me, that's part of what I enjoy :tearsofjoy:

Australian performers were allowed to enter for the first time last year.

It was supposed to be this big one off, as it has quite the following over there apparently....but they're now in it proper. I'm not sure if they've made the final, but they were in the semi finals I watched the other day.

Thanks! I'll watch it. I mean, it only comes on like once a year. I just can't remember exactly when. :)

I always know when it's on, because it's always around my sister's birthday. Or maybe I remember her birthday because it's always around Eurovision ;):p

Yes, it's awfulness is certainly part of its fascination.
Do you remember "Hard Rock Hallelujah" a few years back?
OMG that still cracks me up.

Yes, I hardly think Brexit (I hate that portmanteau) will have that much of an effect as we're always waaay down the rankings anyway. I enjoy watching for all the other countries (sometimes baffling) entries.

Tell me about it. Back in 2012, we sent Englebert Humperdinck to represent Britain at Eurovision and he came second from last.
That same year someone sang the song "Love is Blind" while literally wearing a blindfold, while second place was the Russian Grannies.

I love the tackiness that is Eurovision. I used to watch with a friend each year, but he moved away, so tonight I'm going to a viewing party at a gay nightclub. Should be extra campy!

I don't watch for my country, Dutch entries are pretty much always terrible and/or boring and Dutch media keeps talking about how we're sure to win. And people get really angry about how we've been cheated out of winning because of Balkan conspiracies. Idiots. I just love how incredibly campy and bizarre some entries are. It's like the modern equivalent of a freak show, with a few confused entries from countries that think it's a serious music contest.

i wish the UK would use something other than cheesy pop, you know do what finland did with lordi and represent us with a bit of hard rock or metal, or electronic music,or rap,theres plenty of people in the country who could fit the bill.

i used to love watching the eurovision after i gott over the initial shock of casualty being taken off for it [ive watched every episode of it],but UK sucks we never give a good band im not surprised the rest of europe hates us [and thats besides the brexit crap].

i wish the UK would use something other than cheesy pop, you know do what finland did with lordi and represent us with a bit of hard rock or metal, or electronic music,or rap,theres plenty of people in the country who could fit the bill.

i used to love watching the eurovision after i gott over the initial shock of casualty being taken off for it [ive watched every episode of it],but UK sucks we never give a good band im not surprised the rest of europe hates us [and thats besides the brexit crap].

Looking back, the UK has actually won 4 times in the past (5 times if you count the draw with the Netherlands, Spain and France in 1969).

Our Victories:
1967: Sandie Shaw - "Puppet on a String"
1967:
- Lulu (UK) - "Boom Bang-a-Bang"
- Salomé (Spain) - "Vivo cantando"
- Lenny Kuhr (Netherlands) - "De troubadour"
- Frida Boccara (France) - "Un jour, un enfant"​
1976: Brotherhood of Man - "Save your kisses for me"
1981: Bucks Fizz - "Making Your Mind Up"
1997: Katrina and the Waves - "Love Shine A Light"

Sadly, we've yet to win again since then. Our entry for this year is Lucie Jones with "Never give up on you".

I call bull***t on Portugal winning. The song was so boring, and the guy annoyed me with his "oh I'm so zany act"...that's the impression me and my friend got anyway. I was happy that the UK did pretty well. We wanted the yodelling Romanians to win :p

New Threads

Top Bottom